• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Okay, aside from the over double posting. I have to say that I am not against the series having seen only the first episode, and having done some work here for the website, this series has some potential. I will definetly have to watch the rest of the series to like it, but I am impressed with the English dialogue that has been dished out with the Japanese dub. Here's to viewing a very good looking series.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:02 pm Reply with quote
nightmaregenie wrote:
Okay I'll make this clear I didn't double post or anything. I edited my post once or twice and that's how it came out Shocked. And for some queer reason I can't even delete the double-ups. I apologise for any visual disturbance Crying or Very sad .
You can't delete you own post unless it's the last post in the thread. If happen to double (or triple, quadruple, quintuple, sextuple, septuple, octuple...) post, you can use the "Edit" button to go into the extra posts, erase all the content, and replace it with "Oops, multiple post, please delete." That's the common-courtesy way to reduce scroll times and visual clutter, until someone is able to delete the extras.
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
You can't delete you own post unless it's the last post in the thread. If happen to double (or triple, quadruple, quintuple, sextuple, septuple, octuple...) post, you can use the "Edit" button to go into the extra posts, erase all the content, and replace it with "Oops, multiple post, please delete." That's the common-courtesy way to reduce scroll times and visual clutter, until someone is able to delete the extras.

Ok I got ya. Thanks for the hint Wink . Althoug I gotta say, at the time when this happened my pc had trouble going into the edit page as well. But I'll be careful next time.
Clodus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote
i just recently bought the artbox and first 2 volumes, the artbox is very nice and shaped like an amp. each one comes with a guitar pick and its of course uncut so a whole lot of swearing goin on. none the less i like the series alot.

for the record outlawwolfs post was in 9/05, my last post was in 5/06 and alestal just revived it in 8/07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alestal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Clodus wrote:
i just recently bought the artbox and first 2 volumes, the artbox is very nice and shaped like an amp. each one comes with a guitar pick and its of course uncut so a whole lot of swearing goin on. none the less i like the series alot.

for the record outlawwolfs post was in 9/05, my last post was in 5/06 and alestal just revived it in 8/07
Go me.

So whats better the sub or the dub? I thought that the sub was pretty good (although the songs were...so-so, and i actually like the japanese people speaking english, i liked how they said FU*K). Just wondering if its worth investing in the series to hear the dub.
ashere65

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:44 am Reply with quote
the dub isn't bad...the only character who i feel sounds a bit awkward is maho but overall the whole dub is around a grade B.
Alestal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
ashere65 wrote:
the dub isn't bad...the only character who i feel sounds a bit awkward is maho but overall the whole dub is around a grade B.
thats a shame, in japanese I thought maho had the best voice and dialoge.
ashere65

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
ashere65 wrote:
thats a shame, in japanese I thought maho had the best voice and dialoge.

Same here. What bothers me is that there are moments where she has this thick New York accent which makes sense for her character but sounds odd. I'm gonna go watch the volume again now :p
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:48 am Reply with quote
I'd never really though about this show until I read more about it, and upon finding out that it was about rock music I instantly became interested. I got the first 2 volumes and it has pretty much shot up to the top of my "favorite anime" list. Sometimes I wonder why it took me so long to find this.

Alestal wrote:
So whats better the sub or the dub? I thought that the sub was pretty good (although the songs were...so-so, and i actually like the japanese people speaking english, i liked how they said FU*K). Just wondering if its worth investing in the series to hear the dub.

I found both to be truly excellent, with some minor issues (in both BTW), but it'll come down to personal preference as usual. Though I suppose it could be said that the songs sound a bit better in English.
Alestal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:16 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo: yea the music drew me in 2.

ashere65: new york accent? lol I dont think you've been 2 New York.

So all in all guys, worth buying the dub?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:46 am Reply with quote
The dub is okay, in my opinion. From what I've heard in just the first volume, they did a good job with the dialogue and acting, but some of the casting feels just a tad more bland in comparison to the Japanese (for minor characters). Saitou doesn't feel as funny since his voice was so spastic in Japanese, but if you don't know what he sounds like in the first place, then it probably wouldn't make that huge a difference if you're strictly a dub person.

They did, however, do an awesome job on the music dubbing, particularly with Koyuki and Maho's vocals. I don't really like Chiba's singing as it sounds more like screaming punk/heavy metal instead of hip-hop chanting. But for the most part, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. The lyrics are altered a little, but they make a lot more sense as opposed to some of the Engrish in the original.

The only problem I ever had with the Japanese version was, of course, some of the Engrish dialogue, but I thought it added a nice sense of diversity and semi-realism. You don't really get that in the English version, but it still flows at a decent pace. Though do keep in my mind this is merely my opinion after Vol.1 only.

I would recommend you buy the series since it's already awesome in Japanese. If you end up liking the dub too, just consider it a side item Razz.

EDIT: Spelling.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
ashere65

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Actually I have been to NY enough times... though i could still be wrong about the accent... it's the way Maho sounds when she speaks it reminds me of Matt Damon in The Departed (though that's more Boston). Listen to Vol 1 Episode 4 when Maho's yelling at Ryusuke that Koyuki's going to be a "freaking great vocalist" which is what I'm basing my opinion on.

Anyways I didn't even know Volume 2 was out... ARGH!
Alestal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:43 am Reply with quote
ashere65 wrote:
Actually I have been to NY enough times... though i could still be wrong about the accent... it's the way Maho sounds when she speaks it reminds me of Matt Damon in The Departed (though that's more Boston). Listen to Vol 1 Episode 4 when Maho's yelling at Ryusuke that Koyuki's going to be a "freaking great vocalist" which is what I'm basing my opinion on.

Anyways I didn't even know Volume 2 was out... ARGH!
My parents are both grew up in New York, they dont sound like that. I think that Maho just sounds like a japanese chick trying to speak english.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I don't really like Chiba's singing as it sounds more like screaming punk/heavy metal instead of hip-hop chanting.

I agree somewhat. I like the singing but there's definitely more of a punk sound; however, there's enough of a hip-hop style that it does the job well. And listening to the singing on the second volume I can hear that punk sound in both languages. There's no heavy metal though; some rap metal maybe, but no heavy.
Alestal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:12 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
I don't really like Chiba's singing as it sounds more like screaming punk/heavy metal instead of hip-hop chanting.

I agree somewhat. I like the singing but there's definitely more of a punk sound; however, there's enough of a hip-hop style that it does the job well. And listening to the singing on the second volume I can hear that punk sound in both languages. There's no heavy metal though; some rap metal maybe, but no heavy.
whats rap metal? white punk rap? lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10