• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Shadow of a Ninja

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
So are you supposed to pronounce Imageepoch like Image Epoch, or ... something else? I can't even comprehend how I would try to type what is in my head phonetically in English (why can't we have our letters make the same sound every time?), so I'm reading it in my head as if it were a Spanish word.

I keep wanting to pronounce it as "Imaji pooch"
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the first several volumes of the original Yu-Gi-Oh! manga are really not that bad. Kind of dark as well. The series did make its shift from the adventures of a supernatural avenger who makes people set themselves on fire to all the card game nonsense, however.

And "Nate the Ninja's Tubular Tale" is something I need to use. Oh, and happy Day of the Ninja.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Tale of the Last Promise: Lol for anyone who mistakes that as a Tales title. I watched the trailer for this and it seems quite well done. Only time will tell if this does well enough. I have some hope for it.

Chevalier Saga Tactics: I heard that in this game the humans you control and the dragons are allies and work to stop the war from breaking out between them. I hope the dragons are playable at some point. The main premise already has me hooked.

Shining Hearts: Another Shining I'm sure we're not getting. Much like Tales, I think the Shining series is done here. Besides, this one has the trappings of a moe anime/dating sim all over it. Why couldn't they make it interesting and let you form close bonds with the other males in the party? I formed one with Lazarus back in Tears (I was hoping for romance, lol not really) and I plan to do the same with Volg. Much more unique endings than the typical boy picks a mate from the many girls available standard.

teh*darkness wrote:
Wow... I didn't even know there was a Shining Wind game, let alone Shining Hearts. I had Shining Tears at one point and knew of the Shining Tears X Wind anime, but didn't realize it was a crossover of two games.

Don't be too surprised. Wind is over three years old now and they never considered localizing it. I wish they had though. The combat seems so much more enhanced in that one than in Tears (I loved Tears though and I was 100% expecting Wind to come here all that time ago).

Persona 2 IS: We better get this. There is simply no reason not to localize this any more. I don't want to hear any excuses.

Naruto Shippuden DBC: Poor dragons, what a sad little franchise to get stuck in. And seriously, reptilian henchmen? Ugh, I find myself hating this game from the cover artwork alone.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Wait, did the article mention that BRS Is coming Stateside!?

'Cause it is.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
My Dad bought me DB:GT Final Bout for $100 from a NYC pawn shop when I was 10. A few years later, I realized how bad it was, and put it up on eBay. Someone bid $70, which was good enough, but they said they needed a few days to get their paycheck. They never got back to me, I forgot about it for a couple months, and then, in the least probable scenario ever, the game was rereleased for $15. I was not happy.
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know Final Bout was going for that much money. I had the Japanese version and used an adapter to get it to work on my PS1 when I was 9.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Wait, did the article mention that BRS Is coming Stateside!?

'Cause it is.

Japanator is jumping to conclusions, no one has yet announced any specific titles that NISA will bring over. I'd say its almost guaranteed BRS is one of them, but it has not been announced yet.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:36 am Reply with quote
Tale of the Last Promise........... So it's not only Tales of but a Last / Final title as well........... Which marketing company did they rain money to come up with such an original name? Laughing
barrelroller

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
LOL @ Final Bout. My brother has the original version... it's an awful game but the voices are awesome. Wink

I knew the two newer Naruto games were gonna tank. No shocker here. Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 already took the crown of best Naruto game of the year.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
The US version of Final Bout disappeared the moment it went on sale, actually. It was a small print run: 10k copies, less than, for example, the famously sold-out Panzer Dragoon Saga. There was enough demand for Dragon Ball, even before the TV broadcast hit CN and went big (the show was in syndication from '96), to move those copies. It became expensive both because of DBZ and because it was actually seriously rare.

Like Panzer Dragoon Saga, if you weren't at a games store that weekend, the game was lost to you. Of course, it was trash that I was lucky to be unable to buy and PDS is (I'm informed) a lost classic, but that's another matter. By the time DBZ hit it big on Cartoon Network, Final Bout was already commanding big bucks and it was cheaper to buy the JP version (or another of several Japan-only DBZ games) from some importer at $70.

In '96 or '97, my brother bought a bunch of CD-R's (of course the place called them "imports") of DBZ Legends and Ultimate Battle 22 and Final Bout, and we played all that awful crap anyway. Legends was okay, but oh my god those other games. You know what the infinite combo in UB22 is? The kick button.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:
Yes, Yu-Gi-Oh! still exists, and it's still popular enough to land games. Your favorite anime series may be largely forgotten and never earned so much as a fan-made puzzle game, but Yu-Gi-Oh! endures in all its maddening inequities.

A little bitter, are we? I can understand, though, after having to go through two seemingly-medicore Naruto games. It's easy to make fun of Yu-Gi-Oh!, but the card game itself is a fun game to play, and the video games are a nice replacement from buying the actual cards. The actual shows and mangas are really good too. And yes, I mean legitimately good.

That i can agree with. Even after all these years , I still have my Trading Cards from the original. Too busy to get the booster packs for the GX and 5D's series.

The games unfortunately are as medicore as some of the naurto series. The only one worth while were the new DBZ games.

At least the anime is watchable (even though the series is being mascared by the hands of 4crap kids)

Hopefully in the future it'll finally be rescued and we'll have a more compotent dub version of the series that will please both the young audience as well as hardcore anime fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gerbilx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who enjoyed the BRS anime. ;-;
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
gerbilx wrote:
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who enjoyed the BRS anime. ;-;

I remember Mania/AoD giving it a pretty positive review, so you're not the only one. I think it actually got an "A", too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2