• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Personal 2010 anime awards.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
There are a couple of surveys going around, but what I thought would be better would be if people can give their own category and give an anime, or perhaps a character from an anime. Noted that we still have a few weeks to this year's ends. Here is mine.

Most over the top scene: Highschool of the Dead spoiler[bullet went inbetween boobs] - It is just so over the top, if you watched it, then you most likely remember or just had to comment on it.

Series that stayed most cute: Hanamaru Kindergarten - It made the kids look like they were littl Potemayo's, Anzu kept climbing on the guy and trying to act adult, Hiiragi with her varias costumes and smarts, and Koume with everything she did.

Most surprisingly good series: Heroman - I first thought the series would be full of cheese, Heroman sounded like the cheesyest name ever for a hero, and that I will probably watching some cliche driven kids show. But it was surprising how it diverged, the villains were menacing and genre savy, and some of the action was amazing, especially the two flipouts by Heroman and Joey.

Best loveable Idiot: Akihisa Yoshii (Baka to Test) - How would it sound if you were told a major character point of a main character was he was an Idiot? Well Akihisa time and time again proved himself to be an idiot, from getting hurt constantly from his own idiocy or thinking he could solve world hunger with a cup of noodles.

Best phobic character: Ryoushi Morino (Ookami-san) - I initially thought of this with a Working!! character, but what I liked about Morino was that he really is so afraid, but tried his hardest to overcome it for the love interest.

Best loli: Suzu Hagimura (Seitokai Yakuindomo) - This was a hadchoice, others I considered were Mina Tepes, or Popura or even Ika Musume, but Suzu wins for constantly having her hight thrown at her and being dignified about it. Takes child like naps, but has a spiel of how smart she is. That and her swearing in English was frigen awesome.

EDIT: I changed mine to fit Bento-box's sugestion of giving a reason.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I like your idea... but to keep the thread from getting locked, we should probably provide a tiny amount of explanation... unless listing is ok if it's at the end of the year...

Favorite Show of 2010: Ookami-san to Shinchinin no Nakamatachi
- It's really tough between this and Working!!. I love the character development in Ookami-san. I felt that the series flowed well, was entertaining, romantic, and was a little darker than it initially appeared to be. It was something I was looking forward to simply for the novelty of the main character looking like Taiga and then it became so much more.

Best Guy-to-Guy Interactions: Baka to Test - the borderline yaoi moments between the main male characters is downright hilarious. I can't stand yaoi, but I loved the parody element these sequences brought to the series.

Biggest Disappointment: The World God Only Knows - without repeating too much of the negative things I've already said in that forum, it's a perfect example of a great concept ruined by terrible pacing and script. I don't feel an attachment to any character and several episodes were just too darn long. Lots of filler and very little substance.

Most Interesting Show: House of Five Leaves - the art style initially creeped me out, but after a while, I got used to it. The subtleties of this series are delightful. While the series could be considered "slow" because there isn't much action and it's full of dialogue, it certainly isn't boring. The heavily plot driven series is full of mystery and intrigue with memorable characters and unique art.

Most Surprisingly Good Series: B Gata H Kei - I watched it to make fun of it and ended up loving the humor. I tuned in to see just how far things would go and to see if I ever found out Yamada's full name (which I didn't). The racy series amused me greatly and I kept looking forward to more. It's by far one of my favorite ecchi titles now even though the ending was a bit of a let down. Pretty amusing show.

Cutest Male Character: Kazehaya Shouta (Kimi ni Todoke) - I'm a total fan girl. Hopefully season 2 will have spoiler[a nice kissing scene Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper]

Cutest Female Character: Yamada or Misaki (B Gata H Kei and Maid-Sama) - I thought for a long time and I just can't choose. There's something nice about both of them. Embarassed

Best Male Character Overall: Morino (Ookami-san) - great character development. A lot of his actions were unexpected, but not beyond his character's personality. Absolutely loved seeing a male character come out of his shell. He made that series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Skylark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I would have said Hanamaru Kindergarten would win the most surprisingly good award.

And Oreimo is shaping up to be the most surprisingly bad award.. My expectations were set way too high, I think.

I'll give a "Hardest Hitting" award to Angel Beats!. Despite some shaky plot development and underdeveloped side-characters (some of whom deserved more, I'm looking at you TK) the voice acting was powerful and the writing in certain scenes was excellent. This series could also win "Best Final Episode" and "Funniest Character of All Time" awards (TK was brilliant and I think everyone who's seen the series would agree). The final episode was brutal and fantastic.

I think I should also dish out an award to House of Five Leaves.. maybe "Most Interesting Style". Something along those lines. This series has stood out in my mind above many others for a number of reasons, but mostly because it dared to be different. The art style was unconventional but I still found it to be endearing; the characters were interesting but far from the norm, and the plot moved slowly whilst still maintaining interest. The series managed to be very realistic too, in that there were no overglorified fights, and wounds took time to heal.. that said, there were some moments of badassery that happened sparsely enough to make viewers long for a tantalising glimpse at Masa's skill. Maybe another award for "Most Wimpy Badass" should go to Masa. EDIT: looking at recent posts and remembering other series, I think Ryoushi from Ookami-san might give Masa a run for his money here. I didn't like the way Ookami-san ended but the show was entertaining and deserves mention for being one of my more highly-rated series of the year.

"Most Disappointing Sequel" would have to go to Strike Witches 2. It lost a lot of the originals free-falling adrenaline feeling, the wonderful flights that the viewer might take along with the characters; and kind of fell into the usual routine of borderline-illegal fanservice and boring huggy loli girls being "cute" (ie ditzy and gushy). The sequel started ok but gradually dropped in enjoyability til I found myself feeling like a pervert for watching it, and wanting to stop. Not good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Best finished series: Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei. Rather dull at the first half, but manages to pull off the best loop I've seen in anime.

Best ongoing series: Kidou Senshi Gundam Unicorn. Not much of it is available yet, but technically this is a mecha fans wet dream.

Those are the only shows of 2010 that I'm willing to give any (positive) mention.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Give that there's still four weeks to go on the fall season, isn't it a little early for stuff like this? Why not wait with this until more around Christmas time, so we have a chance to see if new fall series are going to finish well or pull surprises?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Agree with Key, but when it gets to Christmas we'll all be busy with other stuff. Well, I won't, though.

Anyway, it's fun to do it this way, but do I miss a poll forum at times like this.

Best "went as expected": Angel Beats!

I remember saying on the season thread that this was the show I was looking forward to the most. And it turned out to be my favorite of 2010.

Best Surprise: Legend of the Legendary Heroes.
I expected something good but generic. The series turned out to be just as exciting as Code Geass. It just lacks a proper budget.

Cutest Character: Tachibana (Angel Beats!)
She's a very, very enchanting character. Her image, personality, and voice were incredibly cute.

Favorite Male Lead: Ryner, LOL Heroes.
He's the kind of guy who loves life; which results in abnormally low attachment to life, since he believes that he harms those around him. He seems to understand everything perfectly, and that he could still take the risk, and embrace his friends, but he still chooses others before him.
We're pretty alike, except that I feel the opposite about life.

Most Generic Series: Twilight Arterial.
This is a big meh from me, bravo. I don't dislike it, but I simply don't want to see something that's been done better OVER NINE THOUSAND times.

Best Pair of Melons: Saeko, High School of the Dead.
Gorgeous lady. I'd put her in the "Best Flourished Lady" category, but I'll go ahead and integrate it with this one.

Best Opening: Angel Beats!
It took me a while to like it. At first it would be House of Five Leaves, but Angel Beats! grew superior along the road, superior enough to carry its opening to a higher height.

Biggest Potential Waste: The Word God Only Knows.
It could have been pretty good if they knew which girl to turn into a single episode arc, and which not. They failed.

Most Diverged Opinions: My Little Sister is a Twit.
The majority seems to be enjoying it, but hating a single character enough to downgrade the series' overall.

Most Fabulous Anime of the Year: Star Driveeeeeeer.
It's a pinch!

Most Enigmatic Fandom: BH Kei.
I don't even...

Best First Episode, Worst Everything Else: Asobi ni iku yo!
And the Triple Fail award goes to...
Excellent, and very delusional first episode. Second episode was still pretty good, but from there it went somewhere uninhabited by the god of good anime.

Best Plot Play: Durarara!!
Excellent anime, but the overall quality went down during the second half. It picked up again as it finally started connecting everything, but ended incomplete. It feels like something very important was left unaccomplished; oh, right, the anime's theme (think: "head").

Most Stunning Looks: Halo's whoever this is.

Best Ending: MM!
Catchy animation sequence and good song. The characters interact well, and the song is in excellent harmony with the characters' moves.

Most Rushed Series: Ichiban Ushiro no Dai Maō.
Not plenty of time to adapt to every change. But I don't have much to complain since it certainly completed the story. Sure, they could still push something else, but that's another story.

Best Contradictory Scene: Shiki.
When the doctor did that very kind thing to his wife. Most would be disgusted at him, but I found it astonishing. It made me excited in a manner that I even started trembling. In other words, it made me feel alive.

Last edited by egoist on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
"Most Disappointing Sequel" would have to go to Strike Witches 2. It lost a lot of the originals free-falling adrenaline feeling, the wonderful flights that the viewer might take along with the characters; and kind of fell into the usual routine of borderline-illegal fanservice and boring huggy loli girls being "cute" (ie ditzy and gushy). The sequel started ok but gradually dropped in enjoyability til I found myself feeling like a pervert for watching it, and wanting to stop. Not good.

Wait a sec; weren't you the one saying that you're tired of the hinted yuri and wanted them to just go flat out yuri (AKA, you wanted to see them make out)? Razz
Skylark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Skylark wrote:

Wait a sec; weren't you the one saying that you're tired of the hinted yuri and wanted them to just go flat out yuri (AKA, you wanted to see them make out)? Razz

I said it made me feel like a pervert Wink Yeah I said that. Come on, there was so much sexual tension between some of the couples that a little bit of kissing might have helped them out.. You never know..

I should also put in that I feel Star Driver is one of the most interesting and randomly enjoyable series I've ever watched. I hate nearly all mech series, I hate over the top anime costumes and I also hate repeated sequences; this series has all of them and more and yet I love it... So maybe "Random Love" award can go to it. @egoist I got a lol out of the "It's a pinch!" Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Give that there's still four weeks to go on the fall season, isn't it a little early for stuff like this? Why not wait with this until more around Christmas time, so we have a chance to see if new fall series are going to finish well or pull surprises?

Personally, the shows I'm watching just aren't delivering. Even if they had amazing endings, it wouldn't put them above anything I listed.

That's why I don't mind posting my favorites for the year before the current ones have concluded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Well for me I will be going to Brisbane/ Gold Coast for a few weeks and will be unlikely to get onto the internet over that time. I leave in a couple of weeks time and will likely not be around for the end of season, at least not around christmas. Anime cry

If something big hapends in a current airing series then just come back and say you have a change, I myself are looking to see what Katanagatari does.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator - you will be missed... for a few weeks. Then I'll just go back to not caring.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
As for me:

Best Anime: Rainbow- The story was absolutely beautiful, and each character was impacting in their own way. I really hope Funimation pushes out a good home release for this series

Most Surprisingly Good Series: Heroman- Considering Stan Lee wrote this, I figured it would be pretty decent, but Heroman blew me away. Good characters, interesting story, and absolute brillance in manipulating and deconstructing cliches.

Best Randomly Encountered Anime: Durarara- I was on Crunchyroll's front page and happened to see a promotion for it. the art style intrigued me so I decided to give it a shot. Turned out to be a great decision. It was a very entertaining series that was fun, occasionally deep, and did a good job at throwing me for the occasional loop.

Most Fun Anime: Star Driver- I knew it'd be entertaining since BONES was behind it, but I'm really enjoying it so far/ Entertaing characters, beautiful mech fights and a story that gradually comes together, this may be turn out to be more fun than Gurren Laggan was.

Best Anime Opening- We're not alone(Rainbow)- Really awesome song that fit the series well. The fact that it was in perfect, unbroken english is a plus.

Best Protagonist: Joey Jones(Heroman)- For a main character who's main power was to wield the remote and make barriers, he turned out to pretty likeable. He matured quite a bit over the series, and came into his own, so much so that in the end he wasn't overshadowed by Heroman.

Best Villain: Izaya Orihara- This guy is a great example of why sociopaths in anime are always fun. He screwed around with everyone for kicks, and knew just how to use everyone, except Shizuo of course

Anime I'd Most Like To See Dubbed: Heroman- Seriously. Funimation, Bandai, Viz, heck even 4 Kids, someone get a jump on this series. It could do great with kids here.
Skylark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:17 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well for me I will be going to Brisbane/ Gold Coast for a few weeks and will be unlikely to get onto the internet over that time. I leave in a couple of weeks time and will likely not be around for the end of season, at least not around christmas. Anime cry

We have the internet up here in Brisbane as well.. not very fast internet, but internet it be. Just sayin'.

Also, this thread has reminded me that I need to catch up on Katanagatari..

EDIT: I'd throw in that Rainbow's OP by Coldrain definitely wins the best OP of the year.. And I might throw in a "Most Well Balanced and Developed Cast For Its Size" to Durarara! (by that I mean I don't know what "award" to give it, but it was awesome and I can't believe I forgot about it). This year really has gone by faster than I thought.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
As much as I dislike the series, The World God Only Knows has a pretty awesome intro as well. That one would have to be my favorite opening of the year with Working!! as a close second.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.....I have some awards of my own Wink

Biggest Disappointments: Angel Beats and K-ON S2 - Angel Beats was set up by everyone I knew and heard from that this was going to be the best anime ever. By episode 10, it becomes pointless with no plot to lean on. How does the best anime ever not have any meaning towards the end of the series?!

With K-ON, I expected them to continue going on a journey to becoming the greatest Japanese band alive. What happens?

Mugi: Hey girls, let's have tea, cake, and waste 24 minutes of people's time a week.
Yui: Sounds good to me!!

WHAT?! Where's the music? Where's Mio b*tching about practicing? Where's my Season 1 K-ON?! Anime cry I'm a sad panda. The only reason I still give credit to this series is because by episode 20, they remember that they're a music show.

Biggest Surprise Series: B Gata H Kei - Usually, if anyone knows me on here, I will bash ecchi and fanservice to no extent. So how did I find this show surprisingly good? Because it was an anime that was so bad, it was good. That's how Anime hyper.

Cutest Anime This Year: Hanamaru Kindergarten - Once I found out about this show, I had to watch. Turns out that when I am sad and feeling depressed, this show can always cheer me up with a smile brought by those adorable little kindergarteners. I thank Gainax (Wait, what? Yep that's right) for bringing this show to life.

Best Show This Year: Ore no Imouto - Now, this show may be falling for the "here's a cute 14 year old, let's rape her" mode, but while I still have only seen half this show, it's the only one this season I can relate to. I know plenty of closet anime fans and this show helps me deal with what would happen if their "secret" got out Anime smile.

Sorry if I offend your show, I was just speaking my mind.[/i]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2