• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why can you not get amazon japan to ship to the USA?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catstigereye

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Say as a fan I want to buy anime related items that are not here in the states. Well Amazon dose not ship out side of Japan! this is a problem. Since there is no way to get them to ship here.

My question is why?

I would like to own some item's that only can be gotten in japan. from chibi's of an anime i enjoy as well as other items.

So that's my question. Also a side not after going to several japan web sites for some of the anime i enjoy the most and google translates rocks for this meaning i can at least understand what i am looking at to some extent. Why are there web sites so much more involved that say Funimation sites for there shows?

thanks in advance!
EricDent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Well there was a ban put on stuff shipped from Japan.
Apparently it is lessened up again recently.

Try going to US based anime stores.

Places like Kicks Hobby Japan, Roberts Anime Store and the like will have lots of the stuff from the anime shows. Of course they might be a bit more expensive, but you won't have to pay a huge sum to get it shipped internationally.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
There is a way to get anything sold from Japanese online retailers to the United States but that does not answer your main question.

I was talking to my friend about this the other day and the simple reason why Amazon Japan (and lots of other retailers) don't ship to the USA is because they don't want to.

However there are also particulars that do make it a bit unfeasible and inconvenient. It is easier to explain when talking about goods like books, DVDs, things with a trademark and copyright and dutiable items. These items are produced and intended solely for Japanese consumption (purchasing) only. So technically a sale to a customer outside Japan is an unauthorized sale.

From the POV of the Japanese, an international sale isn't really seen as a plus, or even necessary. Plus most Japanese retailers don't even understand nor appreciate the huge demand for items that are desired simply because they can't be found in the U.S. (even though they are seen as cool, trendy and the fuel of American anime otaku).

As for buying stuff from Amazon.co.jp and getting it sent to the U.S. try this: www.shoppingmalljapan.com.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Say as a fan I want to buy anime related items that are not here in the states. Well Amazon dose not ship out side of Japan! this is a problem. Since there is no way to get them to ship here.

That's not entirely correct.

Amazon Japan will ship items to the US, except for certain items such as toys, games, and items sold by private sellers through Amazon Japan.

I've ordered a few books and CDs from there and have never encountered any problems. I also know people that bought DVDs and Bluray discs.

Basically, if it's not shipped directly from their warehouse, it probably won't be shippable outside of Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1