• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Chase Tale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Well I decided that I might go to AM2 because it is in Anaheim and its "free admission" so this time around my friends will be able to go without any excuses. And I will be to celebrate my dad's birthday on the 4th of the July, so I am all good Very Happy
zzeroparticle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
So far, there's nothing in it to really convince me that AM2 is going to be worth a shot, even with all the e-mails and PR stuff that I've been getting from Chase since a lot of what I've gotten from perusing their site seems to be light on the details.

Besides, my main reason for AX attendance has been the high caliber of guests that they're able to pull in. Unless AM2 can deliver with some awesome concerts or whatnot, I'll probably pass.

Disclaimer: this is all from the info I've gotten through Chase and the site. I'll probably listen to the podcast once free time has opened up.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Rather frustrating podcast for me. A lot of spin and no substance about this alternative event. a lot of "you knows" and "things" and nothing very specific.

So, let me see if I have this right. The event is free admission, but the individual attractions cost admission. The rational is "Some of these kids don't have that kind of money".

Point being, -- The desired attendees? -they don't have money.

The crowd Chase was talking about attracting will arrive and not buy anything. I went over to the AM2 site as well. All the links aren't connected to anything. It just keeps loading the same page.I never really got a good sense of what the attractions were. There seems to be some sort of "pirate event". But Captain Morgan is not invited. WTF?

This makes no sense to me. Money is what will fund future events! Why not create an alternative event that will attract people who have money, but won't go near a con because of all the rude, screaming, smelly, unwashed masses. If you are going to try and attract money away from one event to another event, wouldn't it make sense to try to attract those attendees who actually have disposable income?

I don't want to buy a limited art lithograph and risk having it ruined by the crush of bodies on the way out of the floor. How about offering a few attractions to the over 21 crowd, preferably attractions with cocktails? Perhaps a wine dinner and anime viewing event with a guest speaker. Or even just cocktails and anime viewing? Mushi-shi and manhattan on-the-rocks? -I'm there!

How about a Butler cafe with a real English tea service? The adult BL and Yaoi fandom have money to spend. They might like something like that, and they are the people who don't traditionally go to cons. They aren't jailbait meme-screamers. They don't wave yaoi paddles. They spend money on their hobby.

What was described just seemed like the same old thing. The thing I (and others) avoid.

But if you have a convention with no fee for admission and one with a huge fee, a lot of people including those with money would go for the no fee admission. You would just need to know what the paid attractions are and go sparingly to them to save money for other things. Disney on 7/4 is the icing on the cake imo.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

But if you have a convention with no fee for admission and one with a huge fee, a lot of people including those with money would go for the no fee admission. You would just need to know what the paid attractions are and go sparingly to them to save money for other things. Disney on 7/4 is the icing on the cake imo.

Speaking as a local, going anywhere near Disneyland on July 4th is an absolute nightmare. Unbelievable crowds. They usually have to shut the gates at around noon and send spillover into California Adventure, which is going to fill up instantly next summer due to all the new attractions that will be open. Yikes.
Eyre

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that time of year Disneyland is bananas.

Decent podcast, Chase was a bit dodgy as to be expected due to the con debacle/debate, etc... Then again I would be too if I was a consultant explaining why I am opening McDowell's right across the street from a McDonalds Smile

Top 10 list, awesome. Looking forward to it.

Streaming... is there a reason, if I already have cable and an iPad with Crunchyroll premium membership, that I should get anything? I have all the seventh generation consoles, so I can still do Netflix through that. Just curious with Justin's comments. (Good to hear ya Justin, hope everything is going well!)
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Speaking as a local, going anywhere near Disneyland on July 4th is an absolute nightmare. Unbelievable crowds. They usually have to shut the gates at around noon and send spillover into California Adventure, which is going to fill up instantly next summer due to all the new attractions that will be open. Yikes.

Crowds wouldn't deter me if the price was right.

Edit: Looks great to me.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote
The whole AM2 thing sounds very fishy and the guy is trying too hard. I'll probably just go to AX again unless something huge happens that will change my mind.

Some Disneyland package on the weekend of the 4th is not going to do it. I'm not insane.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Interesting podcast. I was more interested in the streaming than the convention discussion, though it'll be interesting to see just how well AM2 con does next year.

My question is about ANN and support for the PS3, which is what I've been using for my streaming to my HDTV. Is ANN going to try and support that platform (if it suppose to work now with PS3, I've yet to get it to actually play a video (I blame that really bad browser PS3 comes with for that))? Boxey sounded interesting but I'm not sure I want, if I can even afford it, to get yet another system to hook up to my TV for streaming. As it is, I have a Samsung TV and Blu-Ray player but trying to get it to work for streaming turned out to be way to difficult. I would have had to buy at least one (probably two) $70+ dongles to let them access wireless and then figure out how those worked with my desktop to get my current set up to work (and the TV/BD are less than three years old). So I decided the PS3 was a better bet than messing with that set up just to finally have BD Live access (and at least I got the gaming system as well) and the streaming advances in the last year have been a bonus for buying the system. So I'm curious if trying to make PS3 access work has been dropped or not, because I just can't see myself buying a new system just to make Justin happy j/k (but Justin did make it sound like he wasn't interested in pursuing a fix for the site to work on the PS3) Wink
mad_yeti
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:44 am Reply with quote
Here's hoping Utena is still on top. It's my favorite show too, and I haven't watched it in years either. I've been excited/ nervous to grab up the new release to see if it's everything I remember.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Utena's one of my favorites as well. I'd be a hell of a lot more excited to pick it up, though, if the new release came with a new dub. >.>
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Uh, it's not easy making a top list if you've only been a fan for two years, because I had a heck of time figuring it out. Of course, I'm not sure how many people are like me and have watched 250+ titles in such a short span, but still, I'm a two year fan and had a hard time making a list. Figuring out the titles wasn't that hard, but man, the placement of where shows should go was the tough job.

When people bring up this business of which streaming straight to TVs and what service to use, I just ask, "Why don't you just get an HDMI cord?". Youtube, Netflix, Crunchyroll, TAN, ANN, Hulu, all of them work on your computer right? Well, just hook your computer up to your TV. Presto. Switching between the two is simple and you can even pause the stream, watch regular TV or play a game, and switch back without affecting anything (unless, of course, you change the HDMI channel to another HDMI channel; that doesn't work). I just feel like that in all of this hoopla of Internet TVs, the simple $10 HDMI cord has been lost.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll makes it official, Roku player launched ... which makes Netflix and Crunchyroll on a box I can get for maybe $70, shipping included (though Shinji hints that Crunchy may be working on a deal for Crunchyroll members).
androvsky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:30 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
Interesting podcast. I was more interested in the streaming than the convention discussion, though it'll be interesting to see just how well AM2 con does next year.

My question is about ANN and support for the PS3, which is what I've been using for my streaming to my HDTV. Is ANN going to try and support that platform (if it suppose to work now with PS3, I've yet to get it to actually play a video (I blame that really bad browser PS3 comes with for that))?

I'm curious about PS3 support also. Well, not the browser part, since that's Sony's fault, and they're supposed to be upgrading it soon. From what I've gathered from some odd technical discussions, the sudden flood of streaming apps (netflix, Hulu+, VUDU, lovefilm, mubi, NHL) on the PS3 are all based on HTML5, and Sony's supposed to have an SDK to make life easier for the devs.

Quote:
"Why don't you just get an HDMI cord?"

My computer's in another room. I'm not buying another computer and turning my entertainment center into even more of a mess for something that's purely for casual watching. If it's a show I care about, I'll watch the DVD or blu-ray on my PS3. I already have PlayOn running on my PC which lets me watch regular Hulu (Hulu+ is missing 90% of the anime) on my PS3.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
androvsky wrote:

Quote:

My computer's in another room. I'm not buying another computer and turning my entertainment center into even more of a mess for something that's purely for casual watching. If it's a show I care about, I'll watch the DVD or blu-ray on my PS3. I already have PlayOn running on my PC which lets me watch regular Hulu (Hulu+ is missing 90% of the anime) on my PS3.

Wow, didn't know that about Hulu+ I've not tried it out yet and if the anime's missing I may just skip it for now.

As for hooking up a computer to the TV with a HDMI cable. First, not all computers have that option. I actually happen to have a laptop that can do it but it takes two HDMI cables to reach the chair I watch TV in (and even then it barely makes it over). I tried it out and basically I get better picture quality via my laptops screen than I do with this hook up and at least I can read subtitles on the laptop (verse the itty bitty subtitles on the ANN player with this hook up) - something that streaming it through PS3 doesn't seem to cause to happen (at least so far). Now the issue could just be with the ANN player but the TV wasn't showing the bottom of the desktop screen either, so I think this was more than issue with the ANN player in my case Rolling Eyes It ended up with me unhooking things and watching the Vandread OVA's on the laptop, so it kind of defeated the purpose (this all happened a few weeks ago, for the record).

Anyway, I have enough issues with clutter in the house that potentially tripping people with the HDMI cord isn't really something I want to do Laughing
androvsky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:11 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
androvsky wrote:

Quote:

Wow, didn't know that about Hulu+ I've not tried it out yet and if the anime's missing I may just skip it for now.

Last I checked, it was missing everything from Funimation, and probably a couple other publishers. They do have Viz, so Naruto and Bleach is accounted for.

Here's the entire selection of Hulu+ shows.
http://www.hulu.com/plus#content
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3