• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ad Parodies Japan on Climate Change with Spirited Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Mikuru wrote:
Citation needed.

Can't you read!? He heard about it from Glenn Beck. Obviously it requires no further support.

I thought the statement, "Also, trees grow faster when there is more carbon in the air" was the most telling.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quote
http://www.japanprobe.com/2010/12/13/anti-japan-newspaper-ad-parodies-miyazaki-film/

Quote:
Sadly, their anger about who caused the death of Kyoto is woefully misplaced. Japan isn’t opposing an extension of the protocol because it doesn’t believe in reducing carbon emissions. It’s opposing the extension because the Kyoto Protocol is useless in its current form:

An extension of the Kyoto Protocol “does not serve our national interest nor does it rescue the globe from global warming,” foreign ministry official Shinsuke Sugiyama told reporters.

“Some criticized us as trying to destroy negotiations,” he said. “But I believe by the end our position has been better understood by the parties concerned and the people concerned, even if not 100 percent agreed.”

Japan argues that the treaty named after its ancient capital is unfair because it does not include 70 percent of the world’s emissions, with top polluters China and the United States absent.

Keeping the Protocol alive in its current form achieves nothing. The world’s top carbon emitters absolutely refuse to become members, and any cuts Japan and other countries agree to within the Kyoto system will meaninglessly small compared to the huge increases that will come out of countries like China.

Why waste money on ads that rip on Japan for wanting to replace the broken Kyoto system with a better agreement? If NGO’s believe something needs to be done about carbon emissions, they should work on getting a system in place that would requiring cuts from everyone, especially top emitters like China, the United States, India, and Brazil.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2