• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Kara no Kyoukai - the Garden of sinners

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:46 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
agila61 wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:
Sales in the US and the rest of the world outside of Japan, for the most part don't pay for crap. For most shows it would never pay back production costs, let alone be profitable.
This is setting up a false Either/Or:

Either international license income on its own can cover the costs of production

Or else its not doing anything.

Not at all. If foreign sales don't even come close to paying for production costs, then someone is going to have to, and in the end it's the Japanese market.
And they aren't sustainably covering production costs all on their own either, given the number of studios teetering on the brink, so if the Japanese market is not quite enough to keep the doors open, then some additional income has to come from somewhere to do so.

The share of international income is not the same as the percentage of studios that go under if the income goes away ~ with a robust domestic market, 25% international income might be gravy, allowing studios to take risks on big projects or projects with uncertain markets, but not actually needed by very many to stay afloat ... while with a weak domestic market, 10% could be the margin of survival for a quarter or more of the studios in the industry.

And your main argument is sound, it does not require exaggerating the Japanese market from primary to the sole support nor to minimize international license income from secondary to of no real significance.
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:54 am Reply with quote
Hey new guys Garden of sinners is seven theatrical movies. Kind of set up like pulp fiction. If they made it up to 7, then each movie did pretty damn well. It was released on dvd a while ago. I've been watching these for about 3 years, this shit ain't new.

The Blu-rays are all profit. This is your only window to get them legally. Hop to it.

Type-Moon is teetering on the edge huh? Laughing
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
eyevocal wrote:
They were called Bandai Visual. What ever happened to them?

They opened a branch in Europe called Beez Entertainment and are doing quite well with their overpriced first time releases followed by a probable Legends afterwards.

Beez Entertainment are part of the Bandai Namco group like Bandai Entertainment and existed long prior to Bandai Visual USA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Beez Entertainment are part of the Bandai Namco group like Bandai Entertainment and existed long prior to Bandai Visual USA.

Shhh. We don't have to tell them, do we?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why don't you take a look at sales numbers for anime in Japan. Most titles sell a few thousand at best. Those that do poorly may sell in the hundreds. Out of 130 million or so people in Japan, only a few hundred thousand or so have any interest at all in buying anime, and even a smaller number actually follows currently airing anime and regularly buys shows.

It would be nice to have sales numbers of anime for Japan and other countries, like the US, in order to grasp the scale of DVD sales.

If you are going by the sales posted on ANN then those are passed on the top sellers of the week. There is still a cumulative total sold that is not fully represented by the weekly chart. Blind tagging any and all DVD sales as otaku purchases is wrong too.

That is right getting some DVDs sold is not the sole reason for airing anime, other effective bits are ratings, commercials, and merchandise. Popularity of anime is not measured by DVD sales but by awareness.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

It would be nice to have sales numbers of anime for Japan and other countries, like the US, in order to grasp the scale of DVD sales.

Much more detailed Oricon numbers are regularly posted on 今日もやられやく, AoD, and a certain forum that may not be named here. Want US numbers? Get a Nielsen Videoscan subscription (not cheap!) and post those numbers. Then start counting the seconds before Neilsen's laywers descend upon you.

Quote:

If you are going by the sales posted on ANN then those are passed on the top sellers of the week. There is still a cumulative total sold that is not fully represented by the weekly chart. Blind tagging any and all DVD sales as otaku purchases is wrong too.

No, I'm not going by ANN's numbers, but for most shows it barely matters. Most anime drops off the charts entirely after the first or second week. If they don't make their sales in the first or second week, most shows won't sell at all.

Quote:

That is right getting some DVDs sold is not the sole reason for airing anime, other effective bits are ratings, commercials, and merchandise. Popularity of anime is not measured by DVD sales but by awareness.

That's misleading at best. Ratings for late night anime are close to non-existent - they make little or no ad revenue. For most, the sponsors that paid for the broadcast need to be paid back. Some shows are merchandising giants, but most aren't. If it's not a children's show or a K-ON!, lack of DVD sales equals no more of that anime. Awareness doesn't pay the bills.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:54 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
There's almost always a wait from the time of the Japanese release, which is what this is. You want something at the same time as Japan, you pay the price.

Okay, that's fine but you're simply stating how things are. That doesn't address my complaint though. Why is that in any way reasonable or fair to me as a customer? In this day and age I don't see why importing shouldn't be just as open of an option to me as buying local. If I'm willing to pay for shipping and region code/language isn't an issue, really, why should I have to wait or 'pay the price'? I don't think it's unreasonable to demand to pay a fair price for a product be it an R1 release or an import.

Quote:
If you listened to the Geneon ANNcast, quite a while ago, a similar effect was described. Lowering prices had no effect on sales, or at least didn't increase sales sufficiently to make up for the lowered price. If there was any sign that dropping prices would actually make them more money, don't you think it would have been done already? Unfortunately anime seems to be a textbook case of inelastic demand.

Hang on though. That was Geneon USA right? They were talking about R1 prices which are generally more or less reasonable already so I'm not surprised that it didn't have enough of an effect to increase total revenue. On top of that, If I recall correctly Geneon was, at that time, selling an absolute fudge-ton of anime already at the higher prices. Anime was in full boom and had more or less completely saturated the market for it. In fact, to go a step further, one could counter that drastic fall in prices per series shortly after the big collapse was instrumental in stabilizing the R1 industry. (I would suggest that this was because by this time, perceptions of prices had shifted and anime was selling for vastly too much).

I don't see this as the case in Japan. I mean, if titles are selling a mere couple thousand units, I really have to believe there's a huge latent demand for anime and for some reason people are being held back from buying it. Of course, that's not to say that your average middle aged adult is ever going to buy your average anime. I just don't really see why anime can't at least reach about the level of video games in Japan (or at least non-casual games). Yeah, sure, it's always going to be a niche, nerdy interest but I think it could at least be successful for that kind of thing.

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong. I just find it tough to reconcile the fact that Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22 goes and sells some 300,000 units with the fact that they apparently can't make a different nerdy animated show that'll sell more than a few thousand units. Of course, I totally recognize that Evangelion is a massive name brand and you absolutely can't expect your average show to come close. I just can't help but look at that and think, okay, if people are watching this then there must be some kind of an audience of people who are interested in watching a cartoon that's not just family friendly/kid's stuff.

So why can't anime sell better? I don't know. I have to point to price as at least a partial reason. The thing about the Japanese prices is that they're just so over the top I can't believe that anyone would buy them if they aren't already a huge anime otaku. You completely cut out the casually interested customer which is very problematic because that's who overtime becomes the dedicated fan. Of course, all this applies equally to the content usually produced these days but that's probably a whole other discussion. The bottom line I arrive at is that there's not really any reason the prices need to be so high just for anime to exist and that being the case I'd say any potential justification for the prices breaks down.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:46 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Okay, that's fine but you're simply stating how things are. That doesn't address my complaint though. Why is that in any way reasonable or fair to me as a customer? In this day and age I don't see why importing shouldn't be just as open of an option to me as buying local. If I'm willing to pay for shipping and region code/language isn't an issue, really, why should I have to wait or 'pay the price'? I don't think it's unreasonable to demand to pay a fair price for a product be it an R1 release or an import.

What's there to address? There's reality, and there's your feeling that Japanese pricing is unfair. Okay then, don't buy it. Done. That's your only real option. I don't recall the last time I walked into a store, saw something for 2-3 times the price I was willing to pay, then demanded a "fair" price. I could try, but I don't think I'd get very far. You can't "demand" anything, because it's up to the seller. You can't make them sell at a price you're willing to pay just because you don't like it.

Quote:

Hang on though. That was Geneon USA right? They were talking about R1 prices which are generally more or less reasonable already so I'm not surprised that it didn't have enough of an effect to increase total revenue. On top of that, If I recall correctly Geneon was, at that time, selling an absolute fudge-ton of anime already at the higher prices. Anime was in full boom and had more or less completely saturated the market for it. In fact, to go a step further, one could counter that drastic fall in prices per series shortly after the big collapse was instrumental in stabilizing the R1 industry. (I would suggest that this was because by this time, perceptions of prices had shifted and anime was selling for vastly too much).

You don't remember Geneon USA's pricing, do you? For years they priced complete series collections for 26 episode series at $199.99, which is far higher than it is now. It was high even then, and they didn't see a corresponding increase in sales when they dropped prices. Apparently you don't believe inelastic demand exists. Any more articles of faith I should know about? And before you say those high prices are what sank them, remember for the same ANNcast that they said sales were good, but they massively overpaid for the licenses themselves.

Quote:

I don't see this as the case in Japan. I mean, if titles are selling a mere couple thousand units, I really have to believe there's a huge latent demand for anime and for some reason people are being held back from buying it.

These are shows that air in the middle of the night, have non-existent ratings, and next to no ad revenue. Even when there are cheaper releases (which I mentioned earlier, but you snipped away) there's barely any sort of bump in sales. The only thing you posit as evidence is your feeling that it's more popular, but just being held back by high prices. Your position is essentially "Those stupid and/or greedy Japanese anime companies just can't understand that if only they'd drop their prices to what I consider "reasonable," sales would go through the roof, and they'd be much better off." It's couched in more reasonable sounding language, but that's the gist of it.

Quote:

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong. I just find it tough to reconcile the fact that Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22 goes and sells some 300,000 units with the fact that they apparently can't make a different nerdy animated show that'll sell more than a few thousand units. Of course, I totally recognize that Evangelion is a massive name brand and you absolutely can't expect your average show to come close. I just can't help but look at that and think, okay, if people are watching this then there must be some kind of an audience of people who are interested in watching a cartoon that's not just family friendly/kid's stuff.

Do you find it difficult to reconcile the fact that Avatar grossed $2.7 billion worldwide, yet the average cruddy low budget sci-fi movie disappears from theatres in a few weeks? If not, then I don't see why the the sales of one of the highest grossing anime movies ever outside of Ghibli films really has much to do with the average anime that is lucky to sell a hundredth what it does.

Quote:

The bottom line I arrive at is that there's not really any reason the prices need to be so high just for anime to exist and that being the case I'd say any potential justification for the prices breaks down.

Well yes, if you ignore rather low popularity and inelastic demand, actually having to pay for high production costs, and Japan's Byzantine distribution system that's chock full of middlemen, then there's no reason at all why prices should be so high. *facepalm*
Annf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I don't see this as the case in Japan. I mean, if titles are selling a mere couple thousand units, I really have to believe there's a huge latent demand for anime and for some reason people are being held back from buying it. Of course, that's not to say that your average middle aged adult is ever going to buy your average anime. I just don't really see why anime can't at least reach about the level of video games in Japan (or at least non-casual games). Yeah, sure, it's always going to be a niche, nerdy interest but I think it could at least be successful for that kind of thing.

So why can't anime sell better? I don't know. I have to point to price as at least a partial reason. The thing about the Japanese prices is that they're just so over the top I can't believe that anyone would buy them if they aren't already a huge anime otaku. You completely cut out the casually interested customer which is very problematic because that's who overtime becomes the dedicated fan. Of course, all this applies equally to the content usually produced these days but that's probably a whole other discussion. The bottom line I arrive at is that there's not really any reason the prices need to be so high just for anime to exist and that being the case I'd say any potential justification for the prices breaks down.

Really we covered this on the previous page, but I'll reiterate in a different way.

This is a complicated topic that can't be discussed using just the word "anime" to cover everything, because children's cartoons, adult sitcom cartoons, and otaku-nerd cartoons are three separate markets.

My apologies if this sounds condescending: I think you may be thinking in terms of "anime" as a single class of thing, the way it's marketed in the West. In Japan, it's just cartoons, and there are mainstream cartoons as well as tiny niche market nerd cartoons, and Kara no Kyokai falls into the latter case.

Evangelion is a children's show, shown in a late afternoon time-slot and designed primarily to sell toys and advertising slots from 3rd-party sponsors. (Technically, I'd call it a "modern Gundam-style" children+otaku show, in that certainly they intend to get the otaku market as well, but it's primarily a kids' show. This is also what they tried to make Code Geass R2 into.) On top of that, Eva got lucky and achieved "societal phenomenon" status; it's a special case, not something that happens every year or even every decade.

What I'm trying to say is, the "reaching out" you talk about doesn't really make sense. There're already mass-market cartoons in Japan. Kara no Kyokai just isn't one of them.

Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, PreCure, Inazuma Eleven, Guren Lagann, Gundam--these are all mainstream kids shows, like Eva. Some become classics and are re-run on TV over and over. (For example, Urusei Yatsura is currently running at 7PM on Sundays.) Then, there are also mainstream adult sitcom cartoons such as Mainichi Kaasan.

As for adults interested in "non-kiddie/family" cartoons--no, for the most part, those don't exist in Japan anymore than anywhere else. How many people in the U.S. would want to watch The Wire in cartoon form? Not many. It's no different in Japan. Adults want to see actors for anything serious, anything besides wacky cartoon comedy. (I'm not suggesting a major cultural shift couldn't occur to change this, but it hasn't happened anywhere on earth that I'm aware of.)

You mention the topic of "sales," but mainstream shows and movies don't rely on disc sales for their income, but rather on advertising (& toy sales) and ticket sales, respectively. Especially in Japan, which has a video sale market 1/10th the size of the U.S., despite having only half as small a population. A hit movie in the U.S. sells 10 million copies. A hit movie in Japan sells 800,000.

In general, Japan doesn't have a "home video library" culture. People do buy movies to some degree, but TV shows are much more limited. For those wondering why the aforementioned kids' shows are also expensive to buy, there's your answer to that--while the TV broadcast is mainstream, the video discs aren't. There isn't a culture of buying cartoon series on DVD for your kids; you just record off TV and maybe buy the occasional movie for them.

The OVA market--which includes late-night anime and theater-promoted OVAs like KnK--is a separate niche thing that makes money primarily off video sales. It caters to a small group of enthusiasts who are specifically interested in non-mainstream cartoons. That's the whole point! Smile Really, this market shouldn't exist--animation is too expensive to produce for so few people. And, it doesn't, anywhere on earth besides Japan, where just enough of these cartoon-nerds said, "We WILL pay for it, so go ahead and make it for us!"

To sum up: there already is such as thing as mainstream anime; the otaku OVA market just isn't part of it. Also, people in Japan don't buy videos much, so economy of scale doesn't apply as well as it does in larger markets like the U.S.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As for adults interested in "non-kiddie/family" cartoons--no, for the most part, those don't exist in Japan anymore than anywhere else. How many people in the U.S. would want to watch The Wire in cartoon form? Not many. It's no different in Japan. Adults want to see actors for anything serious, anything besides wacky cartoon comedy. (I'm not suggesting a major cultural shift couldn't occur to change this, but it hasn't happened anywhere on earth that I'm aware of.)

@Annf: So...let me get this straight. By that logic, Hellsing is for mainstream after-school kids? Black Lagoon? Monster? Baccano? Berserk? Gantz? Because an audience for these is practically non-existent? Despite the sheer popularity and viewer acclaim, that just so happens to not be mainstream after-school kids, which are in surprising numbers?

So yeah... My apologies if this sounds condescending: I think you got your parties muddled up.
Annf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
@Annf: So...let me get this straight. By that logic, Hellsing is for mainstream after-school kids?

No, Hellsing TV and OVA both fall into the niche OVA category.

John Casey wrote:
Black Lagoon? Monster? Baccano? Berserk? Gantz?

Those are all either direct-to-sale OVAs or self-sponsored (infomercial) late-night TV-promoted OVAs (what we call "late-night anime"). They are largely self-sponsored because the audience is too small for advertisers to be interested.
None of them were shown on TV earlier than midnight, except on the premium anime-only satellite service AT-X. (Which was the only place the second season of Gantz was broadcast at all.) You may recall the short-lived animated version of Spawn that ran on HBO in the U.S. The situation with AT-X is comparable to that; occasionally AT-X themselves will help sponsor a show, such as Queen's Blade. AT-X benefits from exclusive (uncensored) content to attract subscribers.

John Casey wrote:
Because an audience for these is practically non-existent?

Yes, that's correct. Relative to the required audience size for an advertising-supported TV show, anyway.

John Casey wrote:
Despite the sheer popularity and viewer acclaim, that just so happens to not be mainstream after-school kids, which are in surprising numbers?

I wouldn't call any of those cartoons popular amongst the general population.
What surprising numbers are you talking about?

However, on the topic of mainstream entertainment, Gantz is getting a live-action movie. Both fans of the comic and even people who haven't read it will go see those, especially if it features actors they like, just like Ironman and such in the U.S. This makes for a good comparison to show the niche nature of Kara no Kyokai vs. a live action adaptation of a comic book using popular actors:
-Kara no Kyokai movie theater count: 12
-Gantz live-action movie theater count: 311
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote
Big thanks to both Annf and hissatsu01. I have found your description of the anime business scene in Japan very informative. I think I have a better grasp of the rationale for those prices that most of us R1 fans find so mind-boggling.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
@hissatsu01

You are saying that anime is not popular in Japan because out of 130 million people only a few thousand DVD sets of TV shows get sold per week.

We would need to come to agreement on how much penetration is necessary in order to consider a visual media product popular.

Without such agreement I argue that anime as a product continually appears on and frequently tops the various charts(movie, TV, DVD) of Japan. So it is popular when compared to other like goods.
Annf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
anime as a product continually appears on and frequently tops the various charts(movie, TV, DVD) of Japan. So it is popular when compared to other like goods.

Heh heh, this statement itself is true of course, but typically when people talk about popularity, they mean out of the whole population. As I noted in one of my posts, Japan's video sales market is relatively small compared to the population (and GDP). In a culture that doesn't buy a large number of videos, the video sales-based otaku anime market will frequently show up on the charts.

The same effect can be seen if you look at, for example, computer (Windows) game sales in Japan. The charts are dominated by adult-rated erotic games, but that doesn't mean your average Japanese resident is buying those. It just means people in Japan generally don't play/buy packaged Windows games, so a small package-sale focused market shows up on the charts.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
Let me just say this right off the top because I'm only going to say it once. hissatsu01: stop being obnoxious. I'm genuinely happy to discuss this with you if that's what you want to do. I really enjoy having such discussions. If, however, you just want to try and shout me down with sarcasm and condescension then there's no point in me continuing this. Please make a clear decision on how it's going to be before you post again.

hissatsu01 wrote:
What's there to address? There's reality, and there's your feeling that Japanese pricing is unfair. Okay then, don't buy it. Done. That's your only real option. I don't recall the last time I walked into a store, saw something for 2-3 times the price I was willing to pay, then demanded a "fair" price. I could try, but I don't think I'd get very far. You can't "demand" anything, because it's up to the seller. You can't make them sell at a price you're willing to pay just because you don't like it.

I'm not claiming I can 'make them' lower their prices and undoubtedly all I can really do is not buy their product. I'm clearly not disputing any of that. If that's all you intend to say then you're correct that there's really nothing to address. I never said anything to disagree with you.

However, what I am saying is that I think I'm justified in feeling that I'm getting screwed over by the unreasonable Japanese prices because I'm forced to either pay a fortune or wait/hope for an R1 release or do without a product I'd quite like to buy if only it was available at a reasonable price. You can put it in little air quotes if you like but on the consumer's side of things $80-$100 is not a fair price for less than two hours of content (less that one hour in a lot of cases). Maybe if there were some kind of mitigating circumstances on the business side then I would be willing to accept that as a consumer who wants to see such a business exist/succeed. I don't really see that as the case though. This is were we do seem to disagree and where there is a question that bears addressing: How do you justify such high prices? You've tried to justify it by claiming that it is simply impossible to produce such content otherwise. (In effect, you're saying that the costs of production are too large and the potential revenue is too small and so the costs must be passed on to the consumer in greater proportion). I feel that claim is false for reasons I'll address below.

Quote:
You don't remember Geneon USA's pricing, do you? For years they priced complete series collections for 26 episode series at $199.99, which is far higher than it is now.

But then ask yourself, why are prices so much lower now? I believe it was you who earlier claimed that if they could make more money by dropping prices they would have done so. Well...that's exactly what the R1 industry did following the big collapse. I don't deny that first and foremost, Geneon went under because licensing fees had become so absurdly inflated. At the same time though, you're insisting that lowering prices couldn't possibly increase revenue because one R1 distributor claimed it didn't work while ignoring the fact that every other distributor has lowered prices and has maintained that price level ever since. Isn't that as good as them saying that it does work?

Quote:
Do you find it difficult to reconcile the fact that Avatar grossed $2.7 billion worldwide, yet the average cruddy low budget sci-fi movie disappears from theatres in a few weeks? If not, then I don't see why the the sales of one of the highest grossing anime movies ever outside of Ghibli films really has much to do with the average anime that is lucky to sell a hundredth what it does.

That's a misstatement of my argument. There's a big difference between more mainstream Sci-Fi like Avatar and the much more niche stuff. I mean come on. My parents went to see Avatar. My grandmother saw Avatar. It's accessible to pretty much anyone. I find it tough to believe that something like Evangelion 2.22, even being a big name brand has that kind of mass appeal even in Japan. I have to think that to watch Evangelion you have at least some interest in the kind of darker, more adult and nerd oriented content found in anime. Look though, if you don't think Eva is a fair comparison the fine. Let's forget it and look at some other numbers: The Haruhi movie sold nearly 100,000 units in it's first week. Look at some of these other numbers: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-12-22/top-selling-animation-blu-ray-discs-in-japan/2010-part-1 Plenty of stuff reaching the 40,000-60,000 range. Yes, without a doubt those are big hit shows. However, they are also quite niche shows. Your average Japanese citizen is not out there picking up Haruhi or Bakemonogatari or K-On. So again, I find it pretty tough to buy this whole idea that anime is hopelessly niche because there's just next to no interest in that kind of thing and so the only way it can exist is if they sell it super expensive to their tiny niche market.

Annf wrote:
My apologies if this sounds condescending:

No, not at all. You've been quite polite and I appreciate that.

Quote:
I think you may be thinking in terms of "anime" as a single class of thing, the way it's marketed in the West. In Japan, it's just cartoons, and there are mainstream cartoons as well as tiny niche market nerd cartoons, and Kara no Kyokai falls into the latter case.

No, I understand the difference. I'm only addressing the latter category, the niche stuff. Hence the reason I haven't cited One Piece or Ghibli movies as examples. Perhaps I should have been clearer about that. So let me state clearly: Whenever I say 'anime' in the context of this discussion I am talking about the non-family friendly, non-mainstream stuff. I'm not sure that I'd classify Evangelion (or at least the rebuild movies) as mainstream but I'll acknowledge that the franchise's status as a pop culture icon does somewhat cloud the waters. As I mentioned above, if it helps let's put aside Evangelion and look at a number of other examples that support my point.

Quote:
What I'm trying to say is, the "reaching out" you talk about doesn't really make sense. There're already mass-market cartoons in Japan. Kara no Kyokai just isn't one of them.

Aren't there a lot of varying degrees of reaching out though? I'm not claiming that most anime can ever be 'mass market' in the way that the big Shounen shows or Ghibli movies are. However I think it would be equally erroneous to say that such anime has achieved anywhere near market saturation in Japan if a lot of titles are selling a mere couple thousand units. I guess the best way to describe it would be to say: Anime is always going to be a niche product that more or less only appeals to nerdy teens/young adults. However that doesn't mean it will only sell to dedicated anime otaku which is what they're doing right now. The prior group is much larger than the latter and that's the kind of expansion we need to see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 20