• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oreshura/Ore no Kanojo (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riddley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I just believe Ai , even Chiwa, is a better fit. Which is ironic since I should be biased towards a white haired girl Smile. I just don't want a cliche ending is probably the biggest reason why I don't want Masuzu to win.

This.

I tend to be biased towards the bigger breasted, more "sexually amorous" heroines since they seem to be prejudiced against in anime due to Japanese cultural crap. But in this one Chiwa is the better fit imho.

But in the end Masuzu will win out. Why? Because she's canon since, you know, she's the female protagonist...le sigh.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote
Given the nature of this episode, I feel I need to bring this up. Did Hime get bigger?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote
^
Bigger than when? Bigger than her appearance in the changing room of the department store where we saw her with an impressively-sized rack? I don't believe so.

----------

You know, this series does have a lot of touching scenes. And no, I am not referring to the watermelon incident, thank-you-very-much. The show would have been so much better without the harem antics dragging it down, because there's actually a good story to be told here. A very withdrawn boy who hates love learning to love again, and an emotionally complex girl who hates herself learning to love herself for the first time.

That's not to say that I want Masuzu to win. It would be rather cliched, and I'm not sure that they've actually shown much genuine romantic chemistry. In fact, I don't want any of the girls to win, and I don't mean that therefore I want a harem ending; not at all. I don't think he should be romantically involved with any of them, let alone them all. Hime is bonkers and doesn't like Eita for who he is, but rather who she thinks he is. Ai is crazy to the point of being disturbed. And Chiwa took Eita for granted all those years and only made moves on him when she thought someone else was muscling in on 'her' territory.

The early episodes were good, because they were not bogged down by harem shenanigans but instead focused on developing the characters. Hime didn't really meld into the previous character dynamics and by the time Ai came about the show was definitely ruined. Since then we've seen nuggets of the quality displayed in early episodes here and there but they are usually buried amongst some rather mediocre (or worse) material.

I wish that the rest of the show kept the same tone the first three or so episodes. It would have allowed the story and characters to better stand out from the crowded Harem sub-genre. More importantly, the show would've actually been good instead of increasingly painful.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13/Finale
Mm, for some reason, I actually enjoyed the finale. Maybe it's because all the girls got in a little highlight with two of them getting a spoiler[kiss]. That 'spoiler[confession]' on stage was rather bold as well. Also, Ai-chan! Lol. I will miss her for her energetic personality.

I will ultimately rate this as very good although I feel a lot of things are missing. Well, for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 13/Finale
Mm, for some reason, I actually enjoyed the finale. Maybe it's because all the girls got in a little highlight with two of them getting a spoiler[kiss].

I'm not sure any harem anime can be resolved credibly, and this one is no different.

It would be interesting to see how a relationship based on self-loathing would work out, but I am more than happy to have it end here.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
So the final episode is here.
That spoiler[swimsuit contest] sure served a higher purpose.
Flashbacks were really nice as well.
The girls were especially spoiler[all over Eita] this time.
spoiler[Masuzu] was such a stubborn girl with lots of walls around her.
Looks like spoiler[Eita finally broke through her defenses and insecurities].
Nice final episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

Each girl got their moment: Chiwa got an spoiler[actual confession], Himeka tspoiler[hanked him for giving her confidence], Ai got more about her relationship with her friends and spoiler[lost her chance by her tsun]. And Masuzu, she spoiler[admitted how much of a fake she is and even negative thoughts of Eita, but he actually confesses here that he likes her, something along the lines of liking her because she is horrible]. It all seems very complex he tries to spoiler[pass it off as a lie, but it is my opinion that the mutual attraction is one of those things hard to understand through logic. And they kissed.]

And then he tries to spoiler[stop the battlefield route] by making the spoiler[other girls hate him]. But Hime spoiler[likes the sound of him being "Villager A"], he can't bring himself to spoiler[destroy the "marriage certificate" and accidentally left his blood on it], and Chiwa spoiler[implied she won't give up and kissed him]. And they end up going spoiler[battlefield route], the ending seems to have a slideshow showing what happened, but a number of the later scenes did not look familiar, perhaps they are the harem situations that happen in sequel novels. It is not over yet.

I will rate this as Good, again I would like to rate this a little higher as I am a fan of harem shows, and Oreshura had some rather good things going for it, but it was just too clunky. My favourite of the girls would be Himeka, I like her personality and such, and her little story of gaining more confidence, although not enough focus was on this. But I do prefer Masuzu as the winning heroine, even if you might say the other girls are more deserving, it just feels like Eita and her are a better mix. That Masuzu did not think she had rights over him because they were childhood friends, "past life lovers", or "childhood lovers".

Perhaps a sequel season would be good, but something tells me that won't happen since this series undoubtly has little popularity from only soft-core fan service, a bitchy main heroine and an inconsistent anti-love lead. It is a little sad as I have the feeling there are some things that need to be explored from Himeka's character, Eita's frustration, and Masuzu's family. . If done right an unremarkable harem can make quite an improvement, just look how Haganai NEXT went.

And I adore the opening song, Girlish Lover.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
the ending seems to have a slideshow showing what happened, but a number of the later scenes did not look familiar, perhaps they are the harem situations that happen in sequel novels. It is not over yet.

Actually I believe those were scenes from earlier episodes, but with the girls switched around. Instead of Masuzu smacking Chiwa's head into the table, it's reverse. Instead of Ai giving Eita a lunch, it's Masuzu.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
another non-ending. The spoiler[reverse flag plan] failing miserably was hilarious. At least now Eita cant possibly go full retard again like he did earlier in the show. would have liked more character development out of Hime. I enjoyed the show and I believe I will give it a Very Good
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:56 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this series until the last four episodes. Not sure what happened but the ending was bizarre to say the least. Can anyone explain to me what is going on other than reaching for a new season?

it still puzzles me, and it was sad to see what could have been an easy and good ending about three or four minutes before the actual ending. I am still puzzled. This and and poor ending of Maoyuu Maou Yuusha and the rather weak ending of Love Live! have given me some concern about the current directors ..they seem to have lost their nerve for happy endings ...and that makes me nervous and watch out for tropes. Anyway, i did like this series it had a fun premise and a nice twist on the harem theme but they seemed to lose their nerve towards the end and to want to push the Childhood friend thing beyond any reasonable limits.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
well the light novel is still going, and the anime seems to have followed the LN pretty closely, so instead of an original ending, they stopped at the conclusion of the beach arc. So if it gets a second season, it can still follow the LN
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
ah good that helps a lot, that explains it. thanks so much, really appreciate that.

i do like the series, it is really quite good, and the characters have a lot of room to grow and change, none of them are set in stone and i like that flexiblilty. So it is a very mature series in a lot of ways and has great potential. thanks again. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9