• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now Streaming: Strike Witches (TV Cut) 1-2 dub/1-12 sub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
Ah, this series. I tell you, I wonder how good this series is.

Perhaps here is a good a place as any to start.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:03 am Reply with quote
As a fan of the show, I strongly discourage people from experiencing it the first time with the English dub.

I actively tried to like the English dub, but just couldn't. It feels way too phoned-in, like the actors don't really care about the show. And the Japanese voice cast has some real A-list actors (Miyuki Sawashiro, Rie Tanaka, etc), and is in general one of the best vocal tracks I've ever heard for an anime.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Wha-?

This show is one of me favorite English dubs of all time. Cherami Leigh as Yoshika is so damn cute and good that the entire dub could be shit and it still would be awesome. The Japanese dub feels phoned in and bland.

Or maybe this is just Yoshika and Cherami Leigh fanboy-ing coming through.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

ALL I need to know. I'm a huge fan of Cherami.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:42 am Reply with quote
The only problem with the dub is that it takes about 3 episodes for the actors to find their stride and it's a short show, but if you're a solid dub fan like me, there's no real problem.

Oh, and another problem is that Jamie Marchi is in it. I do not find what other people like about her. Every time she talks it sounds like she's wrestling her southern accent, and losing badly. I will say, though, that she wasn't too terrible in Witchblade, but that's not really saying much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:15 am Reply with quote
I liked the dub, mostly because it was comprised of a few voice actors I had never really heard of (Jad Saxton, Anastasia Munoz) and had Kira Vincent Davis in her first role in quite a while. I thought Jamie played Charlotte quite well since she usually plays characters of her caliber.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Wha-?

This show is one of me favorite English dubs of all time. Cherami Leigh as Yoshika is so damn cute and good that the entire dub could be shit and it still would be awesome. The Japanese dub feels phoned in and bland.

Ah no kidding. I couldn't agree with you more on that one. I ain't FMA or EVA quality but it's sure as hell a preety good dub and it's a definite must have for dub pursuits like myself.

what the last poster above saying that it sounds phoned in or that the VA dont care about the series is crazy. Funimation is NOT like 4kids or Nelvana.

Also miss Jamie dont sound bad at all and she sounded fine on Witchblade when i watched it on IFC. Miscast , yes. But it's definitely not a big loss , similar to Vic's role as Tamaki on Ouran Host High School.

Also hearing Miss KVD is a definite blessing and probably her best role since voicing as Lucy on Elfen Lied.

The one thing that had me confused was Steaphine Seth on a funi series. Dont get me wrong , It's genius on funi's part but doesn't union rules do not allow that or something?

Also on the ANN streaming video site , it says that the epsiodes are " TV edits". Are these different from the DVD versions and why is there the need for a "TV edits " version since it was never broadcasted on US TV in the first place???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
It was broadcast on Japanese TV, and that version had extra steam and no nipples which were respectively removed and added for the DVDs, and some TV stations also added extra censorship of their own on top. After initially streaming uncensored episodes FUNimation changed to the censored broadcast version.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-10-05/funimation-streams-uncensored-strike-witches-episodes
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-10-06/funimation-confirms-strike-witches-dvd-to-be-unedited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1