• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Diary of a Mad Woman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Uthred wrote:
N.R. wrote:
Wow, Penguindrum is shelf worthy? Really? Even though it completely falls apart in the latter episodes? Oh, well. To each his/her own taste.

I watched the series on the back of this article and I sadly find myself agreeing the first half of the series is great but it goes rapidly (and disastrously) downhill, the latter half of the second half feels almost like a different show as chacterisation is dropped all over the place and the plot just unravels. Not terrible, but nowhere near as good as the first half and a disappointment overall.

Oh, huh... wow. Confused I found the second half to be much stronger than an already strong first half, in part due to how it finally breathed and moved on from Ringo's shenanigans and into a more diverse yet relevant range of events. The show held plenty well together for me towards the end-- having re-watched the whole series over these past few weeks, there are plenty of aspects earlier on (particularly its themes) that do well to set up for the resolutions found in the last episodes. And I don't see the characterization so much as being dropped as I see it showing spoiler[the uncovering of the veneers of "love" or "family" that these characters had so preciously held dear-- one of the very points of the series, I'd say].

I couldn't agree more. The second half is not really worse, it just more serious and I think, in fact, it goes at the heart of the problem. As Bamboo wrote, the first half is using its bizarreness and certain things like cute penguins to distract viewers from how deeply messed up the characters are. The second half, on the other hand, doesn't do it any more, it's still bizarre, probably even more bizarre, but it's no longer so funny. There are no distractions from the characters' problems any more. The Child Broiler is a good example of it. The idea is bizarre, but it's not fun, if anything, it's deeply disturbing. The tone of the series becomes darker, so it may feel as if it were a different series, but it's not like there are no indications in the first half that it is going to become darker.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4