• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can anyone shed some light on the end of GITS: SAC Ep 26?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:24 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Actually, she went full nude, save for a gun belt on her thigh. Of course, since she had a cyborg body, they did manage to bypass the Japanese censorship laws.....][/quote]

I remember that the first time she uses it she did have some thin layer of clothing of, however at the end of the movie she was naked completely against the tank. But yeah, the more you look at it, the more it seems like fanservice. To be honest it doesn't bother me in the least Laughing .

~LoneWolf
DKL

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:30 pm Reply with quote
nah, I think she still had a thin layer of camo on *to use it*

you can see this since something shreds in the end... yeah, I'm pretty sure...

wow, we completely jumped trains here
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
[quote="totalgeek]

Well, this is just my interpretation, so it could be off. I think what Aoi was saying was that part of what makes Salinger's work so valuable is that he didn't produce that much writing for public consumption. Aoi was trying to say (I think) that spoiler[he would rather be remembered for helping to expose the conspiracy surrounding the cure for cyberbrain sclerosis, as opposed to going on a crusade against other crimes and having his name get watered down.][/quote]

Ok, so...he didn't want to sell out? heh...punk rock...

So, what do you people think was the underlying message of the whole series?
DKL

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
"can you possibly pretend that all the injustice of the world doesn't exist?"

that's got to be it... that's what I got out of the series anyway

I mean, Aoi was prompted into action because of that... think about it

if you know the truth of something and have the ability to tell people about it, can you just stand back and watch the bogus things of the world continue on as is?

or would you rather fulfill your sense of justice?
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Lone Wolf and Cub wrote:
When she used the stealth-camo in the movie she would get kind of skimpy too.

spoiler[Actually, she went full nude, save for a gun belt on her thigh. Of course, since she had a cyborg body, they did manage to bypass the Japanese censorship laws.....]

spoiler[ know, I'm pretty sure she had this thin layer of camo on... but it was very very thin... anyway, In Oshii's GITS, camo is apparently more useful when your pretty much naked... but then in Kamiyama's GITS, the major is able to use it even with tactical gear on... you know, they never really explained the dynamics of the therm-optic wear... it's pretty interesting when think about it ]

First, DKL is right -- the Major in the first movie does wear a thin layer of camo material both times. (spoiler[You can actually see it tearing off her body when she jumps on the tank and literally pulls her arms off near the end of the movie.]) The only time she is fully nude is during the title sequence.

Second, on the camoflauge issue:

- The first (and most realistic) mechanism for camo would use the same kind of technology as seen in the "Vanish" from the James Bond movie Die Another Day: The suits they wear probably have built-in cameras that would basically scan the environment and just project false images holographically. (For example, cameras in front would project the same image holographically to the back of the person.)

This would also explain the "ghosting" effect that occurs when they move around -- the camoflauge isn't perfect.

- The second mechanism is the Star Trek mechanic. Basically, they have the technology to allow light to pass through and bend around them, thus "cloaking" them from view. Basic Biology would tell you that, to see something with your eyes, light from a source would need to physically strike an object before you can actually see it. This is the theory behind the Cloaking Devices in that show.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I like those theories... but the one that they used on the car in 007 seems really believable... wouldn't that cost a lot of money though?

but the government has a lot of it... yay

one thing bothers me though *first movie*:

spoiler[ didn't that guy who was controlled by the puppet master *the one with the sun glasses* have something similar to what the major was wearing? Okay, not the same thing, but it seemed very effective and he didn't need to be half naked... so do we assume it's not as effective as the one that the major wears? ]

... yup, I can accept that... I guess
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
spoiler[ didn't that guy who was controlled by the puppet master *the one with the sun glasses* have something similar to what the major was wearing? Okay, not the same thing, but it seemed very effective and he didn't need to be half naked... so do we assume it's not as effective as the one that the major wears? ]

In this case, I defer to the manga for some extra info:

spoiler[The therm-optic camoflauge Section 9 uses is known as Type 2902, (Shirow Masamune's liner notes in the manga say that "2902 refers to a modified model built in the year 2029" -- this note is at the end of Chapter 01.)

The hood in the movie (according to the hood's alternate in Chapter 3) uses "Type 17", which is, based on events in both the anime and manga, a covering that is easily detectable by other methods (like Batou's infared vision) and also easier to short out than the Type 2902 used by Public Security.]
DKL

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:51 pm Reply with quote
so then I'd assume that:

spoiler[ the section 6 guys use something a bit better since they weren't detected by the infrared *sp?* that Togusa was using to filter the security footage... well, yeah, I'd understand that there would be multiple types of camo so this is all expected... ]

I sure would like to pull out the manga again... I should, it's educational *but the foot notes alone took me a while to read*
Dagwood

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As for the major's Full White Swimsuit Clothing and leather Jacket, i'm kinda stumped at the tactical advantage of that getup.....
I can't remember the exact episode, but Batou starts haggling the Major about spoiler[why she insist on sticking to a "female chassis." They then deside to duke it out (to prove whose body is better), and before they even start Batou just ends up hitting himself. The Major goes on to say "Batou, in your report I want you to fully explain how you properly used the forces in your right arm," or something of the sort. The major then goes on to say "when you can make your opponent turn his anger towards you on himself, the female body will do just fine"] Along with the practical aspects of freedom of movement, I would say the above said has something to do with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:27 pm Reply with quote
actually, the reason why she sticks with the female bod is because she's sentimental about it *or something*

and that's the only type of body where she can still wear that woman's watch

that's the gist of it anyway... at least I think it is
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
so then I'd assume that:

spoiler[ the section 6 guys use something a bit better since they weren't detected by the infrared *sp?* that Togusa was using to filter the security footage... well, yeah, I'd understand that there would be multiple types of camo so this is all expected... ]

spoiler[Actually, it's the same type of camoflauge for both sides.

That information is confirmed in the first movie, when Kusanagi is talking to Aramaki:

Kusanagi: Take it easy, Chief. If we grab them now, we'll lose our change to finger Section 6.
Aramaki: What?
Kusanagi: Someone's using the same therm-optic camoflauge as mine--type 2902. It's only used by our people, Rangers in Section 4, and by Section 6.
]
DKL

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:

spoiler[Actually, it's the same type of camoflauge for both sides.

That information is confirmed in the first movie, when Kusanagi is talking to Aramaki:

Kusanagi: Take it easy, Chief. If we grab them now, we'll lose our change to finger Section 6.
Aramaki: What?
Kusanagi: Someone's using the same therm-optic camoflauge as mine--type 2902. It's only used by our people, Rangers in Section 4, and by Section 6.
]

spoiler[ But then why does she need to be half naked when everyone else... oh, okay, it can be explained in one word:

FANSERVICE

why the hell didn't I just connect the dots myself? Mad

]

wow, this was all really interesting *good work*
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
So, what do you people think was the underlying message of the whole series?
My head hurts! Lots of meanings. I think I'll wait untill the end of the 2nd GIG to draw up my conclusion(s). To sum it up, and I won't even try to elaborate at midnight, a bunch about humanity losing it's humanity and yes, I know that made zero sense. Poeple aren't as individual anymore since they can share memories. I think that's what they said in the last episode? I'll...edit this post later.
Dagwood

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think I'll wait untill the end of the 2nd GIG to draw up my conclusion(s). To sum it up, and I won't even try to elaborate at midnight, a bunch about humanity losing it's humanity and yes, I know that made zero sense. Poeple aren't as individual anymore since they can share memories.
I'm going to wait too, but that's about what I got out of it so far (among other things). Just the opposite can be said about the Tachikomas, they linked so many times and learned so much that they became individuals and eventually became spoiler[living beings after acquiring ghost.] One thing we can be sure of with the comming episodes from 2nd Gig is to expect the unexpected because everything isn't always as it seems.

Quote:
that's the only type of body where she can still wear that woman's watch
Your right (it was late), I forgot the Major basically explained that to Batou, "this is the only body that has ever suited me, none other will do" (something like that). Although that is the main reason, we must keep in mind that the other points are valid too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:45 am Reply with quote
curse adult swim and their schedule! *har har har har* Razz

anyway... about individuality:

Actually, when you think about it, we are experiencing sort of a mass loss of individuality right now... when we interact with each other on this "digital plane" *ohhh... fancy word for message board* we sort of get drawn into the opinion and comments and thoughts of others... when you think about it, is it truly still possible to make an opinion or statement that hasn't been somehow influenced by some outside 3rd party?

It's becoming harder and harder now that we're all connected via the internet... er... I'm thinking too much...

I'm pretty sure it use to happen before, but it's happening at a more rapid rate now... *think... you like an anime series because of what so and so from that site you like said... or something like that... but how sure are you that you like it for reasons you came up with yourself?*

it's even worse when people share external memories *like in the series*, I mean, this is the closest you can get to synchronization of your very being... or something

when that happens, HOW the hell do you know that you are still you? what if you confuse the memories they give you with yours and mistake them for your own? BAM! loss of identity!

I think that some of the characters believed that losing individuality pretty much means losing a bit of what makes you human, naturally, most of us won't really understand this yet it it's "totality" since our technological progress has not ventured so far and we have yet to experience this personally *hell, I don't get it some times*

that's why they would have these "external" items that stay with them to remind them of that the identity they still possess...

for Batou, it was his weights meaning... he was a muscle head Laughing *and still is*

for Kusanagi, it was her watch, which reminds her that she is a woman

and like stated earlier, Aoi has his books, which he confines in... aside from the sense of security that hardbound data supplies, he also must simply loves to read *like the Paper sisters from R.O.D. *

... this would all be much more useful to me though if I actually picked up a book and read something for once in my life Confused *no, manga doesn't count... I think the closest I get to a novel is the GITS mangas... man those are LOOOOONG*

you know what would be cool? We could digitize books and download them into our brains... that way, the tedious nature of reading and the time it consumes can disappear...

also, the concept of time sort of disappears... and you can gather all the information you want at lightning fast speeds *yay*

but remember how one of the Tachikomas liked reading hardbound stuff? I think this meant that some experiences really can't be duplicated regardless of all the technical BS that makes things more convenient... more... efficient...

er... this was also sort of why they would TALK to eachother instead of sending eachother E-Brain waves *or something*

... yes... this series has really just put all sorts of weird ideas into my head...

lastly, did anyone notice the similarities between SAC and Mamoru Oshii's ghost in the shell? Particularly the dialogue between Aoi and Kusanagi... yeah, admit it, talking in quotations is c00l Razz

Oshii's GITS and Kamiyama's GITS are pretty similar to some extent...

well, I thought so anyway

---------------

that was incoherent babbling with DKL... yayness Cool

whether any of this stuff was useful to ANYONE that took their time to read it or not, I have to admit that the series REALLY does get you thinking... GITS is a fantastic device for getting your brain to work
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3