• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk (TV 1997).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xuebaochai

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:
You know the 13 or 14th volume was out when they made the show, to my understanding, so it's not as if they couldn't have made a more "common/ western-style" ending. It seems to me that they _chose_ to end it were they did for dramatic effect.

But each to their own-- every time this sort of thread comes up, somone says "It's just a commerical for the far better manga" and then I extol the virtues of the show versus the manga. And then the conversation seems to die, and no one replies. Same ol, same ol'

Well, let me back you up in your hopeless cause: I've actually been resisting the temptation of reading the manga, because I feel that the anime is just so perfectly balanced, and the ending so deeply satisfactory. You *know* what's coming after the Eclipse, and I feel that leaving that grudge-tale as a simple "and they lived unhappily ever after (or for 16 more tankoubon, at least)" is narratively so... complete.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
then the anime is very GOOD advert for the manga... now, if I could only find the money to get it...

I'd like to pick it up at Barnes though since I get a discount

You can get it from places like ecampus.com or amazon.com and not pay full price (they're around 10 or 11 buck) with free shipping and no tax.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote
xuebaochai wrote:

Well, let me back you up in your hopeless cause: I've actually been resisting the temptation of reading the manga, because I feel that the anime is just so perfectly balanced, and the ending so deeply satisfactory. You *know* what's coming after the Eclipse, and I feel that leaving that grudge-tale as a simple "and they lived unhappily ever after (or for 16 more tankoubon, at least)" is narratively so... complete.

It's hard to say the anime feels complete if you haven't read the manga at all. The anime is a whole a lot of stuff that was never adapted, which totally blows. Not to mention the tone down violence, the experience isn't the same.
xuebaochai

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, if I read the entire manga then it would not be a "feeling" of completeness, right?

The point is that I do not consider the anime in any way "incomplete" because it finishes in a cliffhanger. The narrative is very tightly drafted up to that point, and the climax makes almost poetic sense. It is clear that there will be a new stage of the cursed lives of Griffy, Gutsy and Casca, and that tale will certainly rock. There is certainly no reason *not* to read the manga and see what's next. But the anime's story of friendship, charisma and choosing one's path is very much done (very well done, in fact) and forks can be stuck in at will. Calling the anime a bait-and-switch advertisement for the manga is very, very unfair to the scriptwriters.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:39 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

Not to mention the tone down violence, the experience isn't the same.

... it was VIOLENT enough Shocked

I don't think they would've gotten away with more on network TV anyway... *I hear Elfen Lied is really violent though*
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote
xuebaochai wrote:

The point is that I do not consider the anime in any way "incomplete" because it finishes in a cliffhanger. The narrative is very tightly drafted up to that point, and the climax makes almost poetic sense. It is clear that there will be a new stage of the cursed lives of Griffy, Gutsy and Casca, and that tale will certainly rock. There is certainly no reason *not* to read the manga and see what's next. But the anime's story of friendship, charisma and choosing one's path is very much done (very well done, in fact) and forks can be stuck in at will. Calling the anime a bait-and-switch advertisement for the manga is very, very unfair to the scriptwriters.

This is largely my point.

Of course the manga is excellent, and one of the best out there, in truth. But the anime and the manga are different animals. I don't judge the anime because it's not exactly like the manga. That is not, to me, the intent of the anime. As the director says in the interview in disc 5 or 6-- he wanted to focus on being young and the ending of that phase-- that was, to him, the narrative thrust of the show. I thought he accomplished it very well.

And I too agree that the cliffhanger ending still feels "complete"-- the ending was never about finding out what happened next. It's about having the characters make some decisions that have some irrevocable consequences. You see that happen. That was, for me, emotionally "fulfilling."

Anyways, it's cool if you don't like the anime, darkhunter, there are bigger fish to fry out there. I just feel like common "it's only a commercial" line is short changing a wonderfully crafter re-telling of the first major "arc" of Miura's manga.

And as for the violence-- it was one of the things I didn't mind them cutting. I found (and still do find) some of it mindless and pointless in the manga. I'm glad the anime stuck more to the characters.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:39 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

Not to mention the tone down violence, the experience isn't the same.

... it was VIOLENT enough Shocked

I don't think they would've gotten away with more on network TV anyway... *I hear Elfen Lied is really violent though*
Violent? yes

Comparatively, nah.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:41 am Reply with quote
... errr... comparatively?
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:22 am Reply with quote
I think he meant that Berserk wasn't so violent "comparative" to shows like Elfen Lied, which is supposedly even more violent.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote
oh okay... *It wasn't initially clear*

anyway, I was originally saying that BERSERK was violent enough for network TV... but then I heard of that show, and I'm under the impression that it is like super violent, but then it still aired on TV and was apparently much more violent...

but did it *Elfen Lied* air on CABLE or plain TV?
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Well I was talking about comparatively to the manga, but yeah, elfen lied is also more violent imo.
SilverZephyr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:05 am Reply with quote
Hi all,

I just activated my ANN account and wanted to see if anyone knows if Berserk has a sequal. I just finished Berserk- and loved it- but I'm kinda pissed it just leaves us dangling. I know of the Sega Dreamcast game that is kind of a sequal (though I havn't played it), but I can't find reference to a continuation of the show Sad I know that they somtimes continue a series under a different title, and I'm hoping that this is the case! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
-SilverZephyr
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:06 am Reply with quote
No, there is no *sequel to Berserk, thus far. . .but please, let the madness stop, as this question has been asked a million times. Google, Forum Search, and the Answerman columns are your friends here. . .
Jabberwock

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:22 am Reply with quote
Craving more Berserk???? I know I was when I first finished the series, and still am after 4 years! Twisted Evil Try getting the manga, its up to volume 30 in Japan now I believe. Not sure where they are at in America, but it is being released over here. Another season would be wonderful, but it definitly "probably" wont happen atleast until they finish the manga, which is gonna be a while.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SirWence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Jabberwock wrote:
Craving more Berserk???? I know I was when I first finished the series, and still am after 4 years! Twisted Evil Try getting the manga, its up to volume 30 in Japan now I believe. Not sure where they are at in America, but it is being released over here. Another season would be wonderful, but it definitly "probably" wont happen atleast until they finish the manga, which is gonna be a while.

Yes they are at 30 ( i have only read up to 24 ) Though the anime really has very little in common with the manga in my opinion after reading and viewing. But you are right there wont be a 'sequel' untill the manga actually ends.. who knows when that will happen though Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10