• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kotoura-San (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Kotoura] seems to become popular.
spoiler[ESP research society] just came and took her LOL
Well, that spoiler[club] seems perfect for her.
Just hope they won't abuse her power.
I knew something bad would happen.
spoiler[Manabe] really stepped up, I was surprised.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
This show is so openly manipulative, and the fact that it works perfectly on me is infuriating

The music for the dramatic moments feels like it really belongs in a movie like Braveheart, rather than a high school comedrama.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
By the way, does it bother anyone when characters say things in a weird context in the first episode or two in order to present information to the viewer? Like in episode 1, Manabe confirmed if Moritani spoiler[lived in a dojo, before subsequently rejecting her.] This seems kinda odd he asked, now that we know that spoiler[they've known each other for a long time, so he should've been fully aware that she lives in a dojo.]

It's a bit more understandable in this case because we don't know whether they were close friends or just loosely acquainted with each other, so his memory could've been hazy. Other shows are much worse offenders in this kind of presentation, but this episode had me thinking about it.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I fully agree that people are getting way too hung up on those first nine minutes. Yes, it laid things on maybe a bit too thick, but I still thought it did its job very well and the rest of the episode was spectacular. Episode 2 only affirmed that this is a series that I will be watching out. When it's funny, it's very funny, and the serious parts beautifully hit the mark. That classroom scene towards the end was gold, and seeing that the ESP club girl spoiler[has reasons both to use and protect Haruna] gave her an interesting balance. I love the way the club seems to be forming a protective circle around Haruna, and I agree that this is more of a classic moe feel.

The series may not be able to keep this quality up, but if it can then it has a real chance to be the new season's strongest entry. The last series that I can remember that mixed the comedy and drama like this and pulled it off beautifully was Toradora!, and that ended up being one of my top series of that year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
Manabe is tops in my books for spoiler[standing up to Moritani like that.] I think what he said might be one of my all-time favorite lines said by anyone.
methaniel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:28 am Reply with quote
I still don't really know how to take that anime. I was expecting a comedy, which it is at times, but the drama part is so far still pretty important, yet so far failed to brings me any empathy to its characters. I'm always craving for melodramas and such and loves these but here the blend within a comedy anime makes it all look non-dramatic, and if anything, it may be funny (but not enough to make me laugh).
Well, I guess this 2nd episode still worked as an introduction so I shall wait a bit more
Oh and spoiler[Moritani got handled pretty well! That must have stinged! It's even a wonder that when looking at the op/ed that she will be part of the club after that]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Definitely enjoying the series. Episode 2 was definitely more comedy focused than the first episode, but is still keeping some of the serious elements. It's a nice blend. I loved the scene near the end of the episode, with spoiler[Manabi shouting out "Because I liker her! Got a problem with that?!"] If only more characters in anime were like him instead of always beating around the bush.

I liked both the new characters introduced this episode, and Koutara and Manabi continue to be enjoyable. My only concern is that Manabi's "always thinking perverted thoughts" shtick could get very overplayed if the show isn't careful, but we'll see.

One thing that I am very interested in is the fact that the intro seems to imply that Moritani will join the esp club and spoiler[end up on friendlier terms with Kotoura, so I'm very curious as to how the show will bring that about.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I fully agree that people are getting way too hung up on those first nine minutes .
I am reminded of another recent series where the male lead threatened to rape the female lead. It seemed to have no effect on the rest of the story.

Do you suppose this is a trend? Trying to hook the audience with some unnecessary shock value in the first episode?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I'd need to see more than two examples of it to call it a trend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Etrien

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:52 am Reply with quote
Man, that box.
That probably gave me my biggest smile of the day.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
I like that Kotoura doesn't spend time fighting the pessimism that had been building up her entire life; it's not a main source of contention for this show. It lets the audience get a glimpse of her true nature and true desires. She really is a nice girl that wants to be friendly with everyone, but was always put down by others her entire life. One would think it would break her mental stability. But now that she has Manabe with her, you can clearly see her cheerfulness begin to shine already (like in the beginning of ep2). I hope the rest of the show won't put her through too many trials Mad.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
i really want to know what kind of super saiyan level erotic thought Manabe though of in the hallway. I also thinks it's hilarious how he imagines her with a bigger bust than she actually has.
Durga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Key wrote:
I fully agree that people are getting way too hung up on those first nine minutes .
I am reminded of another recent series where the male lead threatened to rape the female lead. It seemed to have no effect on the rest of the story.

Do you suppose this is a trend? Trying to hook the audience with some unnecessary shock value in the first episode?

My Little Monster? It was just one line and not the first half of the episode, so it was easier to overlook.

My issues with Kotoura-san have to do with the tonal problems. I love it when a series can combine comedy and drama to great effect, but I don't think Kotoura-san has found its balance yet. Even ignoring the contrived backstory, this is a show where the main gag is a guy constantly having perverted thoughts about the main character, and moments like that just don't jive with the dramatic parts, which feel contrived and manipulative to a fault.

There is some stuff I enjoy. I like how there are people interested in Kotoura's ESP. The most frustrating part of the first episode was that either everyone was too dumb to recognize she had powers or instantly shunned her for them. If I knew someone with ESP, I'd be interested in them, especially if I were a doctor. Yet all the doctors in the first episode were dismissive of it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Durga wrote:
If I knew someone with ESP, I'd be interested in them, especially if I were a doctor. Yet all the doctors in the first episode were dismissive of it.

Never underestimate the social pressure the Japanese have to conform. It was not too long ago that schoolgirls would have to write a letter of apology to the whole class for showing up with a non-approved hair style.

I can well imagine a Doctor not wanting to tarnish his reputation by getting involved in something like a case of ESP.
Durga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Never underestimate the social pressure the Japanese have to conform. It was not too long ago that schoolgirls would have to write a letter of apology to the whole class for showing up with a non-approved hair style.

I can well imagine a Doctor not wanting to tarnish his reputation by getting involved in something like a case of ESP.

Sure. Maybe one doctor. Two even. But I would imagine with the amount of doctors they visited, at least one would take interest in her case. It stretches my suspension of disbelief too far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14