• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Anime Studio Returns to Profitability This Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
The only shows I've seen from them were ok (Shangrila) and terrible (Blassreiter) but I'm glad people still have jobs.

egoist wrote:

Full Metal Panic!, Saikano, Kaleido Star, Last Exile, Chrono Crusade, Gantz, Samurai 7, Desert Punk, Gankutsuou, Basilisk, Speed Grapher, Trinity Blood, Welcome to the N.H.K., Witchblade, Kaze no Stigma, Pumpkin Scissors, Romeo x Juliet, Bokurano, Seto no Hanayome (partly), and The Tower of Druaga.

Wow, I've actually seen and enjoyed a lot of those and geez louise they fell the **** off in a pretty major way.

Last edited by Mr. sickVisionz on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
If you look on Wikipedia or another site that has a time-line of the shows they did, it does seem like a downward spiral after Gankutsuou.

I'd place the first nail with Glass Fleet - other than Basilisk, which just wasn't to my taste, I think that was the first Gonzo anime where I gave up before I'd even finished the first episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see their comeback getting underway Smile They are one of my favorite studios, and Last Exile is still probably one of my all-time favorite shows.

I hope they are able to group more of their talented staff together as a team on the same project more often, I always felt this was what started to seep into some of their lesser shows as they expanded and spread some of their staffs too thin and had to rely more and more on outsourced staff and more and more shows had guest directors rather than a relatively even split.

Looking forward to that hinted 2011 project with Murata! Smile

Last edited by DangerMouse on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZipZapZopTitania

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
GONZO! MY BELOVED STUDIO! Oh, I thought you were dead, nobody would tell me what was going on...if I'm dreaming, leave me be! (Wink)

I am and always will be the biggest Gonzo fangirl out there. And, let's face it, even without that I'll still have a soft spot for them in the least. They gave me Romeo x Juliet, and since that made me an anime fan and has remained my favorite show since I first watched it, I owe them~

Imma go bang pots in the street...
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
It's also kind of interesting that in 2007 the then(?) president of Gonzo and a producer for the company founded another animation studio called David Production, and while they did a pretty great, if underrated job with The Book of Bantorra.

More people really need to watch it if/when it comes over here. Too many people missed it or didn't even check it out IMO, really good show.

The original head of Gonzo also formed Lambda Film, which sadly hasn't actually released anything yet though they were only formally unveiled in April 2009 as reported in one of ANN's article back then so it hasn't really been that long yet, but hopefully they'll become something in the future (hopefully they're not just a middle-man or idea company which is seemingly possible with the lack of news).
Dakaran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
Gonzo is my all-time favorite studio they better come back with full force!! Smile Chrono Crusade, Kaleido Star and so many more i absolutely love Very Happy
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
I'm very glad for them. It's good to see that they took the slow, cautious route in getting themselves back in the black, which should probably explain the earlier news of their production machine ramping up. Hope they continue to take it easy for the time being and return to form.

DangerMouse wrote:
Sepherest wrote:
It's also kind of interesting that in 2007 the then(?) president of Gonzo and a producer for the company founded another animation studio called David Production, and while they did a pretty great, if underrated job with The Book of Bantorra.

More people really need to watch it if/when it comes over here. Too many people missed it or didn't even check it out IMO, really good show.

The original head of Gonzo also formed Lambda Film, which sadly hasn't actually released anything yet though they were only formally unveiled in April 2009 as reported in one of ANN's article back then so it hasn't really been that long yet, but hopefully they'll become something in the future (hopefully they're not just a middle-man or idea company which is seemingly possible with the lack of news).

While they do intend to do production work in the future, they have been focusing on mobile gaming and digi-comics. They have two games on the iPhone/iPod touch in Japanese and an English version of one of them, as well a recent comic and new game on the way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TJR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
I'm very glad for them. It's good to see that they took the slow, cautious route in getting themselves back in the black, which should probably explain the earlier news of their production machine ramping up. Hope they continue to take it easy for the time being and return to form.

Financially, they never had a solid foundation. You could say that shows like Last Exile, Samurai 7, and Gankutsuou were only possible because of the stupidity/irresponsibility of American licensors (the bidding wars). Consequently, Gonzo became flush with funds that shouldn't have existed.

Licenses for shows like Vandread gave them the capital/clout to expand, finance lavish projects, and launch an IPO (which offered another surge of cash to produce movies). However, it wouldn't be long before reality hit home.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
If they could get some Hollywood work, that would complete a tripod.
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure Strike Witches had something to do with it. Gonzo makes mediocre anime.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Now you know why delisting from the stock market is a good move to try and save your business. Wink
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:
I'm sure Strike Witches had something to do with it. Gonzo makes mediocre anime.

Your latter point is a sweeping generalization, and your former is patently incorrect since it was their best selling title in years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Sepherest wrote:

When Zac starts going on about all fantasy series looking the same, Book of Bantorra is one of the first contradictions that comes to my mind.

If "here" is
Quote:
United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Brazil, and Portugal

... then its used to be here, so that would be "more people need to watch it if/when it comes back over here".
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:

DangerMouse wrote:
Sepherest wrote:

While they do intend to do production work in the future, they have been focusing on mobile gaming and digi-comics. They have two games on the iPhone/iPod touch in Japanese and an English version of one of them, as well a recent comic and new game on the way.

Thanks for the news Smile Cool, hopefully it happens I look forward to what productions they might get involved in, and oh I wasn't aware they had gotten started with some various projects, nice to hear they are getting active.

Agreed, I'd like to see the revamped Gonzo be nice and deliberate, essentially really dig into the works again, as they get back into gear.

agila61 wrote:
If "here" is
Quote:
United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Brazil, and Portugal

... then its used to be here, so that would be "more people need to watch it if/when it comes back over here".

Yeah, hopefully more people will check out the streams, plus I hope that a Blu-ray/DVD release with another round of trailers (and/or a new dub track) will strike some more interest again with those who may not be aware of it even though it's already available at least online.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:22 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Oh, didn't think Gonzo would come back. Was I the only one who thought they'd shut down?

Good news though. Their clumsy animating style would be missed.

Clumsy animating style? What the hell are you talking about?

I saw nothing clumsily animated about Gankutsuou, Trinity Blood, Blassreiter, Welcome to the NHK, SaiKano, Hellsing, Last Exile, Blue Submarine No. 6, Full Metal Panic, Chrono Crusade, Desert Punk, The Tower of Druaga, Linebarrels of Iron, Pumpkin Scissors, Witchblade, Afro Samurai, or anything else they did. Did we even watch the same shows?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4