• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Libraries

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Green_Devil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Can you rent manga from the libraries?

Green_Devil Twisted Evil
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Yep. Or if you want to be even cheaper, you can read them in the store and not buy any. But that's sort of rude....XD Just read 5 or 6 in the store and only buy 1 or 2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Most libraries lately have at least a few books in their collection. My library has gone positively crazy for them. Now, if they could only get complete series(not volume 8 in Miracle Girls and then forget to get the rest).

Check at your library for graphic novels. Most just have a selection of hero, classic, and Buffy comics, but there's normally a few(at least) manga in there. They're normally located in the young adult titles. Check near the magazines or careers sections. Some libraries also have a smaller section for children(mine has the Digimon books and a few of Tokyopop's mass appeal titles).

If your library doesn't have the books, ask for an inter-library loan.
Silver_Foxfire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:05 pm Reply with quote
quincyarcher wrote:
Most libraries lately have at least a few books in their collection. My library has gone positively crazy for them. Now, if they could only get complete series(not volume 8 in Miracle Girls and then forget to get the rest).

Yeah, mine too. It's gotten a really great selection of manga (and anime) lately, but it does have that 1-2 volumes and nothing else problem. It's not as bad if it's the FIRST one or two volumes (though I still want the whole thing and get annoyed when they don't have any more), but when they get volume 4 or 8 or something and that's it......grr....... Mad They're getting better, though, and there are a couple of series where they had just a few of the later volumes, and now they're going back and filling in the blanks. Very Happy
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
My hometown library kind of sucks with manga, they don't have much. Thats why I go to the Schaumburg library. They seriously have almost everything you want. I leave with a stack of at least ten every visit (about every other week). I would list but I don't want you to drool all over your keyboard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Depends on where you live. In los angeles county, there's a the http://www.colapublib.org/ that connect all the los angeles-base libraries (there's about 80+ libraries that's interlink, so that's a lot of material). So if I need a book or dvd, I can request a transfer online and pick it up at the librabries nearest to my house .

Last edited by darkhunter on Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, yeah there's the local branch library connection, but the best is when you're on the world-wide network. My library is part of some massive inter-library loan program. I've seen everything from Takarazuka tapes to the NGE films on the loan list.
Alias

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:10 am Reply with quote
The Los Angeles County libraries are fantastic in transfering books, DVDs, CDs, and just about anything they have. They'll transfer for FREE and some you can loan for a small fee such as the new releases. My local library is obsessed with Dragon Ball, FLCL manga, and Akira manga. I seen a few "Birdy the Mighty" anime tapes as well.
Green_Devil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
My librarie really suck!!!
They barely have any manga and the loan system here blows too!!

Green_Devil Twisted Evil
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
you people are lucky; my library doesn't have any manga
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
matticans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:14 am Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:
you people are lucky; my library doesn't have any manga

Same here. My town likes to invest more money in Liquor stores than in its town library.

Maybe I can go to another County library and see if they have any.
Lanisatu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
The Richmond Hill Central Library (southern Ontario, Greater Toronto Area) has a few titles, too. If you live in York region, you can go to their website and check out the selection (and put titles on hold). Be sure to search all available libraries, because they transport titles between branches. I don't know what their policy is for anyone living farther away, but my library card is an old one that's supposed to work all over York region. And I live close to Richmond Hill.

Some titles you can only find by searching for the author though (e.g. Miyazaki, Watase). But quite a few show up for "manga." It's even harder to find the few anime (video) titles they have available, but they hardly have any. (of course, libraries generally aren't known for video selection...)

I have yet to actually find the physical books while in the library, though.

And they have a feature on their site that allows you to suggest titles for purchase Very Happy go to "I need material" (at the top) and select "recommend to order."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:46 pm Reply with quote
My library has a few graphic novels. I remember seeing Fruits Basket, Ranma, Mars, and Peach Girl on the shelves.

I use my library mostly for anime DVD's. Requesting from other locations is your friend Very Happy Right now I'm watching Record of the Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight and finishing Gundam Wing.

Another library in my state has complete sets of both. Didn't have cable when Gundam Wing was on TV so it's great to finally be able to watch it. Another good thing about it is that I get extra days on the stuff since they're coming from another location.
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I work in a library. We have a large selection of manga, a small selection of anime, and almost all of both are constantly checked out. When you add in the other libraries in our system, the choices are staggering.

The best way to get anime or manga at your library is to search their entire catalogue online or with their computers. If they are part of a public library sytem and can place holds on items from other libraries, you have just found a very, very useful source for manga and anime (and a variety of other excellent books, movies, and music). Be aware that most libraries won't carry exceptionally violent or sexual content, and that it often takes months or years for the latest series to start up (unless there is high demand for them). Also, if there is large demand for anime and manga in your community, you WILL need to place holds, which may take weeks to come in. Place enough, though, and you will have a steady stream of titles coming to you every week or two.

The best way to suggest which books or shows they should carry is to ask about who you can suggest stuff to, then try to give a general idea of how popular it may be (these items are going to be checked out, after all, and librarians want to know if it will be a useful item that will be revisited in the long term). Seriously, if they think there is a demand, they will try to fill it appropriately. If there is no perceived demand, they won't even bother (too costly).
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Man I a spoiled, my Libariy carries over 230 Manga and has 300 Anime titles. Ofcorse this is the Denver Public Library.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2