• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vividred Operation (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote
Vividred Operation (TV)

Plot Summary:
ANN wrote:
Here in a world where science has solved all questions. This story is set in Oshima. The happy, carefree 14 year old Akane Isshiki lived a poor, but well loved life together with her reliable little sister, Momo, who does all the housework, and her grandfather, Kenjirou, a genius inventor who only created useless devices. When the weather is clear, they can see the artificial island, Blue Island, across the sea. In the center of that island rises the revolutionary Manifestation Engine, a discovery that solved the world's energy

Episode 1

This is a sci-fi that seems to be set not too distant with things actually pretty good instead of some distopia, although we have really only been shown the life of a girl on a small island with few peopl. But some of the touches of sci-fi were cool, which is the way they should be, like that lab. We are started off with the introduction of our heroine Akane, who seems pretty nice, friendly girl that likes to try hard, we are given a weakness which the episode justifies and plays a big part later on. I liked how she was with her grandfather. I find it interesting that the series quickly mentioned that the Grandfather created the big engine, the above information did not mention this, but it has us guess that he must be a genius.

I was really expecting a mecha anime, and we got the different elements like giant robot aproaching, general science fiction, super scientest, and even the spoiler[fear of heights] seemed to check out as something a pilot would have to overcome. But the series surprisingly actually seems to be a hybrid with the spoiler[magical girl genre]. The first hint of this is when the grandfather has an spoiler[accident, this should have been a horrifying time where he died the girl has to pick up where he started, but right after seeing his unblinking corpse we find that he was somehow put into the body of some ferret toy]. It made the girls spoiler[stuffing his body into the fridge] both horrifying and somehow hillarious.

To tell the truth I did not realize this straight away, but it became more obvious later when he was acting like a spoiler[magical girl familiar on the 14 year old's back]. There was a part with Akane's best friend, Aoi, spoiler[was in danger and Akane was vissually confronted], but she showed her stuff and spoiler[recklessly went after her friend]. The nail about the hybrid is finally put into place when Akane is spoiler[seemingly saved by the techno key thing and has a techno magical girl transformation]. For the reason of the hybrid I would probably compare it so far to spoiler[Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, and Senki Zesshou Symphogear.]

I do look forward to watching more as my interest was gained from this episode. It has some spoiler[charm of a magical girl show], but the Alone was shown to be rather scary for such a genre, not counting a certain title.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1
Hmm, I have mixed feelings on this. The first episode or rather the first half was calm and had a pleasant feeling with the cherry mood. Then it turned into action and gave me that Strike Witches vibe. It also seems that the enemy is called spoiler[Alone] now and their origins have yet to be explained.

I can see that Akane is a very friendly girl and not to mention enthusiastic. I'm not sure about Aoi though. At any rate, I wonder how this series will progress now that the spoiler[Vivid System is proven to be successful (so far) based on Aoi's "greatest invention". ]

A lot of science fiction themes to this so far and spoiler[that Grandpa in the stuffed toy was hilarious.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I too was expecting mecha, but looks more like a magical girl show. the show has caught my attention so i will try another episode to see what happens
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
getchman has said exactly what I was going to say. I think he took it from me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
That was fun. The show looks gorgeous and I like the characters so far. Not much more to say, yet.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Not much more to say, yet.

Nothing other than nicely shaped oshiri on cute girls makes the world go around. Apparently.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Supposedly, she's 14. Looks closer to 10 to me.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Based on the previews, I thought I'd give it a chance. And...

15 seconds.

That's how long it took for me to drop. The opening shot of the sunrise from the backside of what appeared to be a 12-year-old's (if that) crotch.

That... that was really all I needed to see.

Oh, well. I hope those of you who don't mind that sort of thing enjoy the series, but that's it for me.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:22 am Reply with quote
Spiderman, will you stop narrating please? We're not idiots. Just go and do your thing.
I've seen some bad infodumps in my time, but damn, that was horrible. And completely unnecessary.

There is an early episode of Urusei Yatsura, where the gang travels through time, or it's a dream, I forget, but Lum finds herself confronted with characters out of Japanese myth. Angrily, she exclaims, "We're science fiction, you guys are fairy tales!".

That is the core problem with this show, it tries to use fantasy logic in a scientific setting. I have no problem when Nanoha transforms into her barrier jacket or whatever it's called, she's using magic. But if the 'vivid' suit is somekind of scientific device, how does it violate the law of conservation of mass? Sure, you could convert energy into matter, but that amount of matter could equal a years total output of the sun. And the entropy cost to turn that raw matter into a suit? Also, the whole spoiler[turning gramps into a mascot character]. I'm okay with the transferring of consciousness, it's an old sci-fi trope, but there needs to be something to hold it. There is nothing in cotton and cloth that could hold the delicate electric web that is ourselves. And even if you could, how would it move? There are no muscles or tendons. How would it talk? There are no voice cords, no lungs. I'm okay with something like the mascot character in Bleach, because that can be handwaved away with magic. But there is no magic here, and so this needs to be explained. Of course, this isn't the kind of show that one is supposed to think about such things. This is a show that exists to showoff prepubescent oshiri.

Whether to keep watching is a problem. The show is an inferior Strike Witches clone, and I hated Strike Witches. But the 'docking' mentioned at the end intrigued me. It sounds delightfully yuri. Pontential yuri weighted against the horrible writing on the balance scales of my heart, it's a tough decision. I will hold reservation until I see the 'docking', but unless there is a kiss between the two girls, that will be the end of it.

/'But what if I need to tell the audience something really im-' 'NO NARRATING!'
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote
So you complained about an aweful infodump, but also that you did not understand things. And what is wrong with mixing magic with sci-fi, especially if done well, again Nanoha is a good example as really all the magic is a kind of science in that show. A difference may be that it looks closer here to science than the advancment in Nanoha.

We don't get told what the toy is made of, and for all we know the experiments were on some kind of 5th dimension thing that can alter reallity with magic like results. And I did not find the narrating bad, I thought it helped get the setting out of the way, and try to explain things so it does not just sound like magic was used to give everyone power.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:35 am Reply with quote
Look, if you're stopping to consider the scientific plausibility of it all, you're really not in the mood for a show like this.

What I want to know is how the guy who invented the solution to the world's energy problems is poor. It doesn't matter how discredited or insane he is. He's still going to be loaded, and still have tons of supporters. How many celebrities turn out to be raging racists? Or even child molesters? And folks are still "Well, sure, but still!" The traditional giant robot scientist never gets recognition for his work, right? (I have never actually sat down and watched a giant robot show)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:48 am Reply with quote
Well according to the first episode spoiler[he tried to do something that neally (or possibly did) got people killed, probably acted like a lunatic about some sort of enemy called Alone. They likely fired him because they thought he was unstable, and then he spent his fortune trying to continue his research by himself.]
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
When he announced the "Vivid System" I suddenly understood the title.. Akane is Vivid Red, presumably making Aoi Vivid Blue etc.

Anyone surprised at the crotch shots either hasn't seen the trailers, hasn't seen Strike Witches or didn't realise the connection... at least she is wearing more than just underwear, even if it is skin tight cycling shorts.

Amused by the obligatory talking mascot being spoiler[her grandfather]. Hoping he doesn't have any lecherous tendencies....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Parse Error

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

Anyway, for obvious reasons I was expecting something fairly similar to Strike Witches and that's what I got, so all is well here. I'll be a bit disappointed if this "docking" turns out to be less delicious than it sounds. Such a cruel cliffhanger in one way, but it's made for some wonderful fanart.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Hoping he doesn't have any lecherous tendencies....

What would he do, crawl up her pants? Laughing
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Not much more to say, yet.

Nothing other than nicely shaped oshiri on cute girls makes the world go around. Apparently.

For Blood that is exactly what makes the world go round lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13