• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Canvas 2, Venus to Mamoru, Macademi

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
However, from an ANNCast interview, the story is that they pick up the streams intending to pick up the license if they can make it work out.

That's the general strategy for Funimation. They license streaming and home video rights at the same time (and the streams serve to promote the eventual DVD releases). However, there's no way of knowing if the noitaminA deal was arranged under the same criteria.

I'd suspect that noitaminA is exclusive to streaming simply because of its blanket nature. If DVD releases were in the cards, you'd expect Funimation to evaluate and license shows on a case by case basis instead of committing to multiple series (across multiple anime seasons) before they've even been broadcast.

Fuji also happens to be very protective of its noitaminA content, so they're unlikely to offer cheap package deals either.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:22 am Reply with quote
TJR wrote:
agila61 wrote:
However, from an ANNCast interview, the story is that they pick up the streams intending to pick up the license if they can make it work out.

That's the general strategy for Funimation. They license streaming and home video rights at the same time (and the streams serve to promote the eventual DVD releases). However, there's no way of knowing if the noitaminA deal was arranged under the same criteria.
This was in response to a question about noitaminA streams.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:57 am Reply with quote
Hey, Venus and Mamoru (or Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo!, if you prefer the long name) is rather underrated show. While it is basically a bunch of tropes mixed up in a blender (Magical Academy, Sudden Girlfriend Appearance, Hyper-violent Tsundere, Crazy Student Council), it is rather cute and entertaining, and manages to be a pretty good show. I'd recommend y'all check it out if you have the time.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
Oh yes, regarding the "There are ten slots on the page listing dates from January 3 to 6; however, this is not always indicative of the final number of simulcasts on the site." in the article - we do know they definitely have at least 9 since it was confirmed by Sam Pinansky.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Oh yes, regarding the "There are ten slots on the page listing dates from January 3 to 6; however, this is not always indicative of the final number of simulcasts on the site." in the article - we do know they definitely have at least 9 since it was confirmed by Sam Pinansky.
That seems a reference to the season that they got over-optimistic in when they put up question marks, putting them up before the contracts were signed and sealed, and so having at least one fall through and one (Giant Killing) take til mid-season to start streaming.

I believe I saw a reference in Rob Pereyda's twitter to the contracts being finished, before Christmas, with these going up half a week after that, and so it seems that they may have learned their lesson.

OTOH, the caution would still hold ~ if they are only listing series with signed contracts, then a late signing would mean 11 streams, rather than 10. And with a smattering of anime premiering online in Japan, it could be 9 broadcast simulcasts and one online anime.

In any event, what the site mechanics investigators arrive at is:
Quote:
Level E, Wandering Son, Beelzebub, Gosick, Rio, Dragon Crisis, Kore wa Zombie desu ka?, Cardfight!! Vanguard
, which together with Mitsudomoe make nine.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Quote:
Level E, Wandering Son, Beelzebub, Gosick, Rio, Dragon Crisis, Kore wa Zombie desu ka?, Cardfight!! Vanguard

There's also Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas, making 10 - if you count an OVA that has been ongoing for a year and a half as a simulcast that is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Quote:

There's also Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas, making 10 - if you count an OVA that has been ongoing for a year and a half as a simulcast that is.

... or possibly making 9 and one sneak peak at the first catalog title after the new season simulcast roll-out, with one mystery title left.

This whole site mechanics investigation couldn't tell the different between the two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2