• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime music that you consider nostalgic.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been a fan of anime as long as a lot of you all here, in fact I only became a fan about 5 or 6 years ago. But I already feel nostalgia whenever I watch some anime. Like when I rewatch Azumanga Daioh, it reminds me of my first anime convention because at the time I only knew of that and maybe a couple of others. It also reminds me of my Middle School years because that's one of the reasons I've made my best friend is through him telling me about it and about how he went as Jumbo ( from Yotsuba) to an anime convention. (It was also the first anime that I almost got in trouble for watching since I was only 12 at the time and I chose to watch the episode when Yukari gets drunk while my parents were asleep only they would hear the amount of cursing it had. ) The song from this anime that makes me Nostalgic, the ending theme song Raspberry Heaven, its soothing and if I have a bad day it seems to cheer me up a little, a lot like the first ending song from Great Teacher Onizuka and "My Will" the first ending song from Inuyasha . Why? Well, I had a really REALLY bad cold a while back to the point the only way I could get to sleep is if I were drugged up on Niquil, and for some reason I woke up early that day so I turned on the TV to see the ending credits for Inuyasha and right after I saw that, the medicine went back to work and put me back to sleep. That was the Highlight of the entire day.

I also feel nostalgic when ever I watch Potemayo simply because it was the first anime that I've ever watched that literally none of my friends have ever heard of and the ending song is so sweet and soothing that I always feel some nostalgia from Middle school when ever I hear it.

What kind of anime song makes you feel nostalgic? What about it makes you feel nostalgic? Will you ever rewatch it for "Good Old Times Sake"? Do you wish you can go back in time when you first heard it and watched it? Can't wait to hear your responses and opinions! Very Happy

Last edited by yotsubafanfan on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
momthemeatloaf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
My roommate and I recently started rewatching Gundam Wing entirely for the nostalgia factor, given that age hasn't been so kind to the show. Heero seemed so cool to me as a kid, but now I can't help laughing at him a bit, in particular spoiler[ his greeting of Relena with "I'll kill you"]. Very entertaining to be sure, but mostly for the nostalgia.

As far as music, I get kinda nostalgic for stuff from The Pillows since I first heard it in FLCL. I'd probably feel the same about openings/closers from anime I loved as a kid, but the Pillows are the only anime related band on my iPod I can feel nostalgic about.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Every time I hear "Just Communication" from Gundam Wing, I feel a STRONG sense of nostalgia.

Strangely more than other songs for some reason.

Oh oh another really strong one is Record of Lodoss War's OVA ending!
EricJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Back when I only had a few raw VHS tapes to my name, most of them were UY tapes--So, naturally, a lot of Beautiful Dreamer and Lum the Forever movie BGM stuck in my head, which was, to be fair, some of the better anime music at the time.
Somewhere I'd tracked down the out-of-print 4-CD set (don't ask, sold it on eBay a few years later for scads of dough), and managed to keep a few tracks on the iPod. To this day, "Mujaki's Waltz" and "Edge of the Pond" from the UY2 Movie soundtrack most manage to conjure up the most wistful optimism of those early anime days...Seeing as the latter was about a carefree summer that couldn't last. Crying or Very sad

(And neither of which even compare to Blink of Memory from UY4...)
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:40 am Reply with quote
momthemeatloaf wrote:
My roommate and I recently started rewatching Gundam Wing entirely for the nostalgia factor, given that age hasn't been so kind to the show. Heero seemed so cool to me as a kid, but now I can't help laughing at him a bit, in particular spoiler[ his greeting of Relena with "I'll kill you"]. Very entertaining to be sure, but mostly for the nostalgia.

When it aired on Toonami at the time, he actually said spoiler["I'll destroy you"] lol. It was normal in their midnight run though. There were a number of other modified lines like spoiler[Duo's "God of Death" changed to "The Great Destroyer"] and spoiler[changing "damn" into "dang" or "darn" (I forgot which).]

It was kind of funny watching both versions when I was in middle school.

edit: Oh yeah. As for music, DBZ is definitely one of the more memorable ones. The Pokemon theme song also taps into memories back in elementary school.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
I forgot to tell you what the most nostalgic anime song to me is! Anime catgrin + sweatdrop Its one of my all time favorites, its Raspberry Heaven from Azumanga Daioh! Its just nostalgic to me, there's just something about it that makes me remember all the fun times I've had in Middle School as part of the art club which is where I met the guy that would be the reason why I have all my current friends and my best friend.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:01 am Reply with quote
yoshiyukiblade wrote:

When it aired on Toonami at the time, he actually said spoiler["I'll destroy you"]

Which made me laugh harder!
I always thought that change was utterly ridiculous. Anime hyper
"Destroy" is like implying the person isn't a human or something! We normally use the verb when we're talking about objects!

You kill a living thing.
You destroy a machine.

SO SILLY.
Wiizard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
MrDandi97

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:47 am Reply with quote
t-sam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I was really into 80's rock music for a long time, and I actually bought the band Mr. Big's two Japan only CDs on CD Japan's website. Anyway, when the Hellsing anime came out (the original) and I heard that song Shine as the closing theme, it really blew me away. I got that CD my freshman year of high school, and it still takes me back and evokes a lot of good memories, plus how much I loved that original Hellsing anime when it came out.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
The two that most instantly come to mind are the soundtracks of The Big O and the original English dub of Dragonball Z. Can't really go back to the latter because my standards for voice acting have arisen since then, but you gotta give props to Bruce Falconer for constructing a worthy replacement to a soundtrack that didn't need to be replaced at all. \m/
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
"I am a Pioneer" from the original Tenchi Muyo series is very nostalgic for me I would have to say. I remember watching the show before I had any idea what anime was, back on Toonami when I was much younger. The funny thing is, though, that I can't actually remember if Cartoon Network ever bothered to use it. For that matter, whenever I hear the Outlaw Star theme I think of the same programming block, but I am not actually sure if it was left in. Either of those two series, though, have a lot of nostalgia value for me, since they bring back memories of my late childhood.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
"And I Ran" by Flock of Seagulls for being played as an opener for "Ronin Warriors" when I was a kid. I was pointed in the direction that it was, in fact, the opener for Knights of the Zodiac, but after looking into it, that was a cover and an anime I didn't recognize. Ah, weekday mornings before school with the Ronin Warriors, now that's how you start your day as a 7 year old.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
The entire soundtrack to Macross Do You Remember Love? It was the first anime that I ever watched and listening to that soundtrack always takes me back to the feeling I had the first time watching the movie. Every time I listen to any piece of music from DYRL, I can picture the scenes in my head.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
I always figured that music in Macross had better be really good. After all, it's largely a series based around music to begin with. In that respect, though it was never really released outside of Japan to the best of my knowledge, a lot of fans will bring up Macross 7. The series revolves around a fictional rock group as it is, so there is plenty of opportunity for people to recall certain tunes from it.

Speaking of that, while it was a book, it brings to mind the Robotech roleplaying module called Lance's Rockers. While I don't think that I could get nostalgic about music that I never heard since it was a print resource, I've actually heard people state that Macross 7 was based off of Lance's Rockers. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Thanks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3