• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Infinite Stratos (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Nazi Girl? Doubtful, but if true then we'll need a Commie Girl for the sake of balance. I nominate the reintroduction of Soviet mech pilot Jung Freud from Gunbuster (herself an ethnic German). If Full Metal Panic's alternative universe can pretend the Berlin Wall never fell, why can't IS? Then they can introduce America-chan who speaks flawless Japanese for the sake of comedy. C'mon, it'll be Hetalia with body mechs and a Tenchi-esque flair.

Bad suggestions aside, I'm enjoying IS for the tried-and-true formula show it is. It makes for nice filler between the angst of Hourou Musuko and the randomness of Level E
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
@egoist, I'm also jealous of his harem.

So yeah, Episode 6, it gave out some 'cute'/moe (if you want to call it that) factors.

French-chan is spoiler[revealed to be a female through a shower scene. That was a rather nice awkward scene.] Now, I bet most of you were probably thinking that it would be the typical 'harem reaction.' Quite the opposite, he was just shocked and slowly walked out, and sat down. French-chan got cuter this episode, and spoiler[revealed her feminine side.]

Well, all's left is to wait for German-chan to join!

This might be a huge spoiler but here it goes:

I'm also waiting for spoiler[Houki to get her personal IS.]

This show is just really enjoyable for me so far Laughing . I assume the next 2 episodes will be further development or something, then a big plot movement.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quote
i agree, this show is one of the more enjoyable show this season.
too bad, 12 or 13 eps are not enough for me.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Never been a big fan of French girls, but as long as they're animated and don't speak French that's OKAY. In summary, I'm in love with Charlotte. I want to be called pervert too! (In a figurative manner, because technically I'm not.) I love you, I love you, I love you. See you next week honey. Laughing

Charlotte: "Do you want to see me boobies?"
Ichika: "Eh?"
egoist: "Of course."
Charlotte: "You pervert!"

Ah, much better now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
The French character is also up a good character now, I liked spoiler[how she was obviously enjoying herself and such, and wouldn't it be strange if she actually used chopsticks.]

Plot guessing, to me it looks spoiler[like the Germans kidnapped the guy so that they could get the sister to teach in their country. It would like she stopped because she realised giving so much power to one country could be dangerous, or she realised that she was tricked. ]German girl seems to not understand the situation, but great eye.

This show has been great so far, and it had one of the few ecchi parts this episode (6), unfortuantly my father might have just decided to peek on what I was watching at that moment.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
France-tan is #1

Spotlesseden wrote:
i agree, this show is one of the more enjoyable show this season.
too bad, 12 or 13 eps are not enough for me.

Don't worry, bluray's are prob going to sell over 10k for vol 1 which assures a sequel.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:30 am Reply with quote
France just made this show a lot better.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else wonder if German girl was going to eliminate Ichika with the power of her geass? Also, fake-French people in anime tend to be much more pleasant than their fake-French counterparts in North American media, and this is no exception. When will my country shake off this all-French-people-are-rude-chain-smoking-and-white-flag-waving stereotype?
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, fake-French people in anime tend to be much more pleasant than their fake-French counterparts in North American media...

I thought that applied to everyone, even Americans.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
Actually I wonder if they will chuck in an American for good measure. For some reason when I thought about it this character popped into my head: That is a female jacket

Anyway I don't get the American hate towards the French, didn't they basically one of the big reasons the US got independence, what did they do that Americans usually insult them for. Well the topic is negligent, Charlotte is hot.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Anyway I don't get the American hate towards the French, didn't they basically one of the big reasons the US got independence, what did they do that Americans usually insult them for.

Here's the meta-oral tradition I've heard about the origins of the American oral tradition about how rude and cowardly French people are, and how French women are of a "loose character". American soldiers in both world wars went to Paris en masse. They're jittery, shell-shocked, saw many of their comrades die, and aren't not in the best of moods. They expect the Parisians to be uber-grateful for their service, and they are at first. But that level of gratefulness (think lots of parades, smiles, random handshakes, etc.) only lasts so long before people fall back into their old habits. Parisians aren't used to being so outwardly friendly; they only smile when they're genuinely happy, they don't tolerate much foolishness, etc. So the outward gratefulness stops (they're still inwardly grateful), and the American soldiers think they're being "snotty", and that's the impression they get of all French people, not just Parisians. They spread their impressions in their war stories back home. Hollywood picks up on it, and a stereotype is born.

The "French are cowards" idea is more difficult to explain when one considers the bravery of the Free French resistance in WWII (very nasty things happened to members when captured by the Germans), the non-surrender of the French during WWI when they were being mowed down by the hell of trench warfare, and the fact that there wouldn't even be a United States without France's intervention, as you pointed out. I guess my country has this unfortunate habit of overemphasizing its own war successes without sufficiently including our allies, and trots out the "coward" label when it has a conflict of interest (think Iraq). Why we don't slap this label on other western European allies like Belgium, which was also militarily overwhelmed, occupied by Nazis, liberated by the Allies, and opposed the Iraq War, I can't answer.

Finally, the "French women are loose" idea was another outcome of WWII. Luxuries for French women in Nazi-occupied Paris were very few. American soldiers come in bearing nylons, chocolate, and the like. French women are not only grateful for being liberated, but they see an opportunity to get some luxuries they've been denied for years. The same thing happened in American-occupied Germany with its shortages, and extra food and luxuries were called "Frau bait" for a reason. Then there was the famous British complaint about American soldiers pre-D-Day, "They're overpaid, oversexed, and over here." But this begets another cultural mystery - why do French women get the "slut" label, but German and British women don't? I'm afraid that on these last two issues I'm inspiring more questions than I'm answering.

Somehow the French became more "Othered" in the American imagination compared to other western Europeans, and this started (or amplified) stereotypes that should have applied to other countries if we look at logical causes. The simplest explanation might be that France also historically aspires to "great power" status, also subscribes to liberal democracy, yet is more culturally dissimilar to Americans than other western European great powers. An "uncanny valley" effect for national perceptions, perhaps? I'm sure there is some literature out there that I am neglecting that does a better job of explaining this perplexing phenomenon.

Let's all search for books and articles to read about it, and forget about me derailing this thread about IS with mostly-unrelated impressions. And yes, Charlotte is a welcome addition to the harem. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I think the French being cheese-eating surrender monkeys stereotype dates most strongly from World War II but probably really started after the Franco-Prussian War of 1870. I didn't know much about the latter conflict until I recently read a book on the Krupp dynasty. In 1870, everybody expected the French to easily roll over the Prussians, but instead they were the ones who got routed (mainly because of the superiority of the Prussians Krupp made artillery and their brilliant use of railroad mobilization). I didn't realize this, but Paris was besieged and surrendered.

France did not particularly distinguish itself militarily in World War I. It's pretty clear that without the Brits and, later on, the Americans, things probably would have been a replay of 1870.

The French performance in World War II was absolutely disastrous. Their whole military doctrine was bound up in the supposedly impregnable Maginot Line and when the Germans basically just skirted around it, the French army collapsed in six weeks.

Then, of course, after WWII there was the equally disastrous Vietnamese and Algerian conflicts. All in all, not terribly surprising that the French don't have the highest reputation for dauntless courage.

As for Parisian arrogance and rudeness - it's very real. The Gallic superiority complex is most highly concentrated in Paris and is a hold over from the days when Paris truly was the cultural capital of the Western World.

But French women are really hot and I love their accents, so it's all good.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But French women are really hot and I love their accents, so it's all good.

... even more if they're animated and voiced by a Japanese voice actress. Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote
This history lesson does have fairly little relevance, unless the history of the countries comes into play of how they act.

Still a bit silly to use the war as a reason, otherwise we would be angry at some of the other guys for useing some Australians near suicidal troops and supplying with faulty weapons. Actually Australia is well liked in parts if France for actually helping them out.

Another thing is that an Australian character would be nice, but John Brown is the only Australian I have seen in anime.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Another thing is that an Australian character would be nice, but John Brown is the only Australian I have seen in anime.

Well, no worries, it just means that you guys are so unique that the Japanese have trouble replicating it in anime.

Anyway, as long as the character can tame crocodiles I'm totally in! Although very unlikely to happen, since geography doesn't seem to be the Japanese's forte (unless it's fictional).

Someone should create a thread about this...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10