• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pacific Media Expo 2005

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midori kou

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
http://www.pacificmediaexpo.com

Looks like Daisuke Moriyama is coming back again. =D!!!
belly button lint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:52 am Reply with quote
i'm "thinking" of going this year. how big was it last year?
Jamesleedx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
i'm "thinking" of going this year. how big was it last year?

I went last year and not too many people attended (saying 800-1000 attendees would really be pushing it), but that was partly because it was the con's first year and also because the con was scheduled on the same weekend as two other established anime cons in the same state. Still, I thought the con was alot of fun and to it's merit alot of the staff were also the ones from Anime Expo and their experience and passion was reflected by how smmothly the con ran.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
The problem with PMX is that many people, myself included, are more interested in the concerts they hold than the actual con itself. :3 That said, I hope they accounce a lot more musical guests this year. They've barely announced anything yet, and it's painfully annoying. The pre-registration is ending soon, and so far they've only announced one deccent guest, and no good music acts. I hate it when cons wait till the last minute to accounce their guests. *cough* Fanime, Otakon *cough*.

Some cons don't seem to realize that if they wait till two weeks before a con to announce guests, they've already lost half that guest's interested audience because it's too late for hotel and airline booking. Sorry, off topic, but it just pisses me off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Very true.

I'll only be attending PMX if they nab some amazing musical guest. CN Anime and Otakon are RIGHT before it, so I have to know far in advance. I won't be in California then according to current plans, so going would cost a lot and I can't plan on it right now. >_>;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Since the PLC concert was such a sucess last year, I'm voting for other bands on their label, Sweet Child. Awesome bands such as:

La'cryma Christi - Going strong (minus Koji ;_;) for 10 years.
SUGIZO - The Sugizo, ex-Luna Sea
The FLARE - Sugizo and Yuna!
PIERROT - Going strong for 10 years
D'espairs Ray - Well, they just finished an American tour...damn, I wanted to go.

...should totally come to America! ^_^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot would almost tempt me to go, but I don't think I'd drop everything for them. I'd need like, T.M.R's return or Maki Goto to make me go crazy and attend PMX. :3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
midori kou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually the one of staff members of PMX. I'm on info desk. (I'm suppose to stay hush-hush about things so the AX staff doesn't try to steal our potential guests. AX staffers can be anywhere~!! >_>) Mike Tatsugawa wants to basically make a huge announcement of the rest of the guests sometime soon. I'm guessing maybe in the next two weeks. There's going to be a meeting in Little Tokyo in California this weekend about which guests we have managed to grab.

We did grabbed a very established J-rock band though. We're in the process of finalizing things. This will be their first US concert but I just can't say who it is though. (It's so painful to keep secrets.)

Also, we're trying to diversify the convention's programming. So there will be a lot more things to do than going to the concerts. *hint hint* More guests perhaps very well-known *hint hint*

And Jamesleedx, the number of attendees who came to PMX was actually around 3000. Doesn't seem like it but that's what we got. Surprised
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
:) Oh, alright. Sounds exciting!
xstylus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:36 am Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
I'm actually the one of staff members of PMX. I'm on info desk. (I'm suppose to stay hush-hush about things so the AX staff doesn't try to steal our potential guests. AX staffers can be anywhere~!! >_>)

Yeah, like me! [chuckle]

If there's any grudges remaining from the stir-up in 2003, by this point it's single sided. Anime smile

Last edited by xstylus on Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
midori kou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:10 pm Reply with quote
All cons all have bigger things to worry about than bickering with another con. ^^;

As far as I know, some of the guests we wanted to grab are going to AX instead and they're not making any plans to go to PMX at all. Kinda sucks when others do not wish to invest in us at the moment because the con is still young and small in numbers. =\
xstylus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:02 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:

As far as I know, some of the guests we wanted to grab are going to AX instead and they're not making any plans to go to PMX at all. Kinda sucks when others do not wish to invest in us at the moment because the con is still young and small in numbers. =\

Tatsugawa has just as many contacts as we do, so we're pretty equal in those respects, but I wouldn't expect a small or new con to be able to get heavyweight guests from the get-go. Still, give it time. Little by little I think things will pick up.

In my opinion, PMX still has yet to find itself, but it holds a lot of promise. Asian culture in general is becoming popular, not just anime. Look outside the anime box and PMX might find its niche. Anime smile

Last edited by xstylus on Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I might go this year since it's in long beach and I wanna see what PMX is all about
midori kou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote
For you artists, PMX is going to have an "artist alley" type of thing this year, unlike last year. Please support the art community.

http://www.pacificmediaexpo.com/2005/exhibits.php
hello kenney

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote
im really looking forward to pmx. last year was a blast. lots of stuff besides anime and manga- although there is that too.

i even wore my pmx shirt to ax today Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2