• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - The Vast Wasteland

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
My understanding of the situation is that Neon Genesis Evangelion was the first successful late-night Anime, and the first late-night show that fans discussed online in any sizeable number as it was airing.

Evangelion was not a late night anime. It was a children's show that aired on the same block as the 80s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Sunday afternoons.

It was moved to late night later in the show's run, if I recall correctly.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

It was moved to late night later in the show's run, if I recall correctly.

I've heard conflicting information on this point. Wouldn't surprise me, but its hard to pin down.

Lots of people claim things with authority regarding Evangelion that just aren't true. Such as the very common claim that its responsible for Gundam X's crappy ratings. This is untrue, Evangelion ran against Gundam Wing, which was fairly popular.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
The full original 26 episodes aired on the popular children's prime-time slot and it got a rerun later on a late night slot. How much after it ended or at what time and on what channel I'm not sure, but it definitely had its premier run in a well known children's timeslot. You can find old commercial ads for it on YouTube. October 4th, 6:30 PM right after Wedding Peach. But yeah, it got a late night rerun later on, but I'm not sure its fair to call it a late night anime because of that later run. Quite a few anime get rerun every so often at different time-slots over the years
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
Ah, how time flies, this weeks Answerman column has some ups and downs, nothing too serious, but what got me noticed was the "Big 3 Family Shows" that will never get licensed due to a couple of good reasons. (Moreso that they are all very long running series.)

Although, actually, for one series, Chibi Maruko-Chan was actually shown in the US (although still in JP, and if memory serves me right from actually watching it, it was on Southern California ch. KSCI 18.1 on Sat. Nights in the 90's and then moved to Fri. Mornings in the late 2000's before they took it out from the channel.)

So yeah, there goes my childhood. Arrow
katscradle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I really love Chibi Maruko-chan. It's actually quite entertaining.

Quote:
Doraemon, meanwhile, is a weird, gag-oriented thing involving a time-traveling cat robot teaching kids about life lessons and morals.

Best description ever. If I watch it I always end up sort of daydreaming. Better for the little ones I guess.

The point on the look of the family shows reminds of me of complaints on how Crayon Shin-chan was drawn. I thought it was terribly hypocritical given some Western cartoons that people love. Unfortunately, it's the Japaneseness of a show that sells, especially now.
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Again, there should be said that Doraemon is licensed and broadcasted in several countries outside Japan. Simply because some shows don't work in the US, it doesn't mean they don't work anywhere (from Saint Seiya to Inazuma Eleven). Wink

Except Chibi Maruko-chan and Sazae-san... AFAIK, they have never left Japan.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

Animax Asia had an English dub of Chibi Maruko-chan a few years ago, and back in the 1990s there was a Chinese dub that I watched on Star Phoenix.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:03 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Except Chibi Maruko-chan... AFAIK, it have never left Japan.

Since I guess you didn't read my post, Chibi Makuko-Chan did leave Japan (although still in original JP, no subs), although in an obscure SoCal Asian channel that I used to frequently watch back then, but its a long story...>_>
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Again, there should be said that Doraemon is licensed and broadcasted in several countries outside Japan. Simply because some shows don't work in the US, it doesn't mean they don't work anywhere (from Saint Seiya to Inazuma Eleven). Wink

Brian clearly clarified in the article that those shows wouldn't work in the west as of now, but have worked in other places such as India, so not really sure what you're getting you panties in a bunch over Rolling Eyes
katscradle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Again, there should be said that Doraemon is licensed and broadcasted in several countries outside Japan. Simply because some shows don't work in the US, it doesn't mean they don't work anywhere (from Saint Seiya to Inazuma Eleven). Wink.

Maybe it's just because your post was right below mine, but is this response because I agree with the word weird or that I didn't make my thought on what sells specific enough to the English market?

I don't think of weird as a negative necessarily, just different. I watch kids cartoons even though I'm an adult. People think I'm weird, but having that word associated with me doesn't break my heart. My husband will watch a little Anime and thought Doraemon was creepy. Which is what goes to the point of the shows not being in America like Brian said. The main demographics that like Japanese shows in the U.S. largely like them because of very specific things.

I wasn't saying people in general in Western countries can't get on the Doraemon band wagon. Thing is I just don't see a lot of foreign imports of young kids shows in the U.S. anymore. They seem to make enough of that type of entertainment on their own.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
As anime goes into the future, I see it getting even more and more niche and otaku oriented than it is now. Noitamina is a shell of its former self ratings wise, otaku anime is rising in sales every year and the more mainstream type of titles no longer sell well (like Initial D Part 4 sold 25k a volume in 2004, and the recent Part 5 just sold 6k). I also expect that within 2 or so years, DVDs for most anime will be pretty much gone outside of mainstream titles. Many big series like Fate/Zero, Horizon and Love Live are already ditching DVD since they make up such a miniscule part of the sales these days, so unless the show is being aimed at female audiences, it doesn't really seem to be worth making a separate DVD version anymore.

I see the inevitable collapse of this unsustainable economic model as Japan's fortunes continue to decline in the face of China's rise. All the hikiki's and otaku will no longer be able to afford the outrageous price points leaving anime in a sink-or-swim position. It'll be sad to see the adult series be replaced by more toy-oriented cookie cutter anime, but it won't be shocking. I won't be completely left out to dry, since I can at least get some entertainment from kiddy shows.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
It'll be sad to see the adult series be replaced by more toy-oriented cookie cutter anime, but it won't be shocking. I won't be completely left out to dry, since I can at least get some entertainment from kiddy shows.

Those 'cookie cutter' anime are some of my favorite series. Fullmetal Alchemist, Danball Senki, Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal, Evangelion, Magi, Phi Brain, Fairy Tail, One Piece, Naruto.. I wouldn't be adverse at all to get more shows like them at all. Anyone who would look down on a show simply for it being for kids and not "adults" are the true children in this situation.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:56 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
I see the inevitable collapse of this unsustainable economic model as Japan's fortunes continue to decline in the face of China's rise.
What makes you think those two are in any way connected? The Japanese economy is still the third largest in the world(behind only China and the US); it's hardly in a position to fall to cheap Chinese labor.
Quote:
All the hikiki's and otaku will no longer be able to afford the outrageous price points leaving anime in a sink-or-swim position.
My job pays like crap and I could still by a cour of anime at Japanese prices every quarter - take out my car payments and I could do it every month. As long as they can get jobs, they can buy anime.
Pleinair92

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:07 am Reply with quote
I do not see why the article seems to say, "These children cartoons are nothing like the type on Toonami, thus they are nigh impossible to bring over." Rather, I believe the fact you could stick dubbed versions of these on Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network to be their greatest strengths. I really doubt that the target audience would care or notice that they're animes. Just because a cartoon comes from Japan doesn't mean it has to appeal to teens.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:29 am Reply with quote
They're also very much Japanese, which would probably be a turn off to any mass market.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4