• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 10 Tearjerkers That'll Empty the Tissue Box

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sana_chan5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to thank you for putting Nephrite's death on your list.
I very rarely cry, and that scene actually caused me to tear up.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
The biggest tearjerkers that I've come across in my time watching anime would have to be the scene in the final episode of Elfen Lied where spoiler[Mariko learns the identity of her father who takes responsibility for his neglect by making the ultimate sacrifice.] Also on my list would have to be the scene in Gunslinger Girl where spoiler[Claes is used as a test dummy after she breaks down mentally from Raballo's death.] Actually, there are a ton of scenes from Gunslinger Girl that could go on anybody's list.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Normally I don't get upset when watching anime, but there are a few moments that did it for me:

Madlax:spoiler[Vanessa's death. There was something about her character that made her an absolute delight, so when she dies, I have to grab the tissues. It's a shame too, because in the ending of the series, we don't know if Margaret resurrected her.]

Revolutionary Girl Utena:spoiler[The Girl In The Box.....]

Millennium Actress:spoiler[Chiyoko's death at the end of the film. For me, it wasn't that she was dying that made me sad, it was just that she spent most of her life chasing after something that turned out to not be there at all, going to the ends of the earth even, only to find nothing but an illusion.]

Space Runaway Iedonspoiler[Everything that happens in Be Invoked. However I suppose the ending was sort of happy in a sense, everyone's spirits going to heaven together.]

Azumanga Daioh:spoiler[The ending. Good god the ending. I wept not only for the girls, but for the fact that I wanted the show to extend longer.]

Noir:spoiler[Altena's backstory. You really see how this girl, orphaned in war, causing her to wander, until she was taken in and abused sexually, caused her to turn into the villainous well intentioned extremist that she is.]

Hell Girl:spoiler[NOPE. Never watching episode 18 again. EVER. The poor dogs...and the babies...and auugh why!]

End of Evangelionspoiler[Pretty much everything in the darn movie, which is why I prefer the 'Congratulations' cop-out ending. I can't take "Kill 'em All' style films. Misato and Ritsuko's deaths hit me hard, Misato because well...she's Misato duh. Killing off the comic relief of the series so suddenly shocked me to my core. Ritsuko...not so much that she died, moreover...the fact that she could never escape her mother's shadow, no matter how hard she tried, which led to her downfall.]

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water:spoiler[Nadia's suicide attempt, and Marie's flashbacks to her parents deaths. Actually episode 5 as a whole left me sobbing. Oh and can't forget Electra in episode 22.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
It is forced, it exploits children, albeit fictional ones, by putting them in a situation that could have easily been shown through adult point of view simply to make a message. Same with now and then, a lazy writer will use children, which tend to easily illicit emotions from others a lot more easier than adults and teens.

So I do find it contrived because I am sure the writers/creators of Grave could have easily got the same message across without using children.

And if you have Grave and Now and then , then why not sky crawlers?

Since the point of both Grave and Now and Then was the fate of children in wars (though very different aspects of that), I don't see how they could have gotten the same message across absent children. And it's neither lazy, contrived nor forced to have children as the point-of-view characters. Telling these stories from an adult point of view would have robbed them of their personal perspective. It gets the point across much more indelibly if the viewer can identify with the victims than with some observer who is shocked by the victims' plight.

As for why Sky Crawlers doesn't elicit the same emotional response (or at least the same intensity), it's because spoiler[they died over and over again, as well as because those teens remained almost completely unaware of any other existence (they didn't even seem to have childhoods at all, iirc). Their experience felt more fictional because in real life, "when you're killed, you die." There's no reset button for the children in GotF and NaT/HaT.]

For the same reason, it's hard to be emotionally involved with most Naruto deaths. You know chances are very good they'll be back. :/
Relenus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Great list! I admittedly haven't seen like half of the stuff on that list, so it looks like I better add some more stuff onto my "To Watch" list.

Some other personal favorites of mine:

Trigun: spoiler[Wolfwood's death. Even though I had already been spoiled on that by the time I got to it, that hit me surprisingly hard. More specifically, it's the episode right after it that always makes me tear up. At the start of it, Vash looks like he's back to his normal cheery donut eating-self, and then he just starts breaking down and sobbing. Stealthy tragic moments are the worst.]

Wolf's Rain: spoiler[The last four episodes. Just...just the last four episodes. They are so beautiful and I love the ending for Wolf's Rain but those last four episodes are basically a nonstop train of tears.]

Fullmetal Alchemist: spoiler[Hughes's funeral. I was actually surprised this didn't make the list, considering how that's usually a standard go-to scene for most saddest anime moments lists. In any case, this and a certain infamous episode of Futurama are a few of the only things in any TV show that make me cry every single time I see them.]

And finally, an honorable mention from my inner child, spoiler[every single god damn thing that happens to Jeri in the second half of Digimon Tamers. Sweet Jesus I have never in my life wanted to give a fictional character a hug for support as I did with her.]
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
I also found the ending of K-ON!! to be touching. Not because of melodrama, death or anything like that, but because of the whole mood of leaving school and leaving a stage of your life, it brought back memories of my time at school and how I don't speak to anyone from back then, then I see the K-ON!! cast and wonder if, in 5 years time, would they still be as good friends as they are now?

Well, considering the four seniors attend university together, it's highly likely. The first year of this is depicted in the series.

I don't know, I didn't really buy the air of nostalgia in the last episodes of K-On!!. The final performance was glorious, though.

wonderwomanhero wrote:
End of Evangelion: spoiler[Killing off the comic relief of the series so suddenly shocked me to my core.]

But spoiler[PenPen's death was never depicted.]
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
The only other title that had me a blubbering mess, apart from "Grave Of The Fireflies" was the ending of "Only Yesterday", but it was tears of joy for that one.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
From Ai no Kusabe, the short scene where Katze spoiler[breaks down over Iason's death. The death scene itself doesn't hit me very hard, but when Katze's iron façade finally shatters, it gets to me every time.]
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I think the only anime scene that's actually made me cry is spoiler[the Going Merry's] death in One Piece. I didn't cry after seeing Robin's or Nami's pasts, but I cry over a spoiler[boat]?! I still can't believe that affected as much as it did. The only other thing that has come close to making me cry is an episode of Shigofumi that was about some cats whose elderly owners had died, but they refused to leave their home even though it was going to be demolished. I'm not sure why that almost got me, but it did.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Reienus, I'm pretty sure I know exactly which futurama episode you are referring to....could it be the one ending with a particularly poignant rendition of a Michel Legrand classic?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I can think of few tear jerkers. Though I've never found myself emptying a box of tissues, but I can think of a few titles that had sad moments.

-Dragon Century [1st OVA]: As old school as this feature is many remember the events that led up to the ending. The girl and her dragon who's relationship would one dayspoiler[ come to an end when dimensional rift opened and the dragon brigade had to fight against the evil plaguing the world.]

-Iczer-1: At the time this was a tug at the heartstrings. spoiler[When after losing Nagisa and having the power to put the Earth back, Nagisa meets Iczer-1 in the same place they first meet but she has no memory of her. Or the relationship they had.] It's not Hirano's best project but it's short narrative touched me at such a time.

-Figure-17: There were so many moments that had me heavy hearted.

-Kurau: Phantom Memory: The one show that made me warm and fuzzy inside but sad when it was over.

-Noir: 'Cause after spending so much time becoming friendsspoiler[ you realized that it wasn't your friend's fault that she killed your parents.]

-Millenium Actress: Keep on chasing that love spoiler[even in the afterlife.]

-Devilman Lady So much despair and psychological turmoil. spoiler[People dying. Not to mention enemies you felt sympathetic for died. And the messed of deal of it all Jun's loss of her close friend Kazumi.]

-Brigadoon: A long journey's end and it's time to part.

-Junkers Come Home: Sometimes a talking dog can make a family realize when things go wrong.

-Madlax: spoiler[The deaths of Vanessa Rene and Eleanor Baker. All who were connected closely to Margaret Burton.]

-Shinigami no Ballad: momo the girl god of death: Death is a cute girl who has been tasked with taking lives when their time comes. There were so many sad moments. spoiler['Cause each story someone died for whatever reason] but they managed to have no regrets about it.

-Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror: When Haruka realizes her own shortcomings and that spoiler[she's still loved after her mother's passing.] Memories never die and new ones are made.

-Tokyo Magnitude 8.0: Ending totally unexpected.

-Claymore:spoiler[ When Jean sacrifices herself to save Claire from awakening.]

-Giant Robo:spoiler[Just about every good guy you thought was awesome died for the cause. Even Gin-Rei and by the hands of her own brother yet.] Bet you didn't see that coming.

-GaoGaiGar: spoiler[When at the end of season 2 Makoto gets taken over by the Zondars and turns everyone to stone. But the G-Stone along with Guy's will allows his love to reach her thus breaking their control over her and reversing the affect. Guy is also healed turning his cyborg body back to flesh and blood.]

-Kannazuki no Miko: spoiler['Cause having to wait thousands of years jut to meet the one you love and go through the same love tragedy over and over again.]

-Puella Magi Madoka Magica: spoiler[Having to watch Homura cry over and over again struggling with the fact that she can't change fate to save a loved one.]

After creating this list I found that the majority of titles fall along the lines of the "tropes", "it's time to leave you", "someone important dies" or "death by tragedy".
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I didn't know that Watanabe declined to comment on Spike's fate, but the symbolism in the last episode and its tie-back to episode 13, along with the song lyrics to "Blue" pretty much beats you over the head that he's dead.

Granted, not many people survive the type of punishment that he endured, but part of the mystique of Spike was his penchant for surviving the impossible, constantly. The thing that resonated the most with me in the "he's dead" camp's argument is his analogy of the tiger striped cat, and how he never was reborn after he lost his love. It was kind of nicely put, allowing him to walk into certain death and be fine with it.

The thing is, though, that I've seen many persuasive arguments that allude to him 'already being dead,' as big a stretch as that is, and thus can't really be killed in the narrative. The cyclical nature of his life, his ability to survive things that would kill mortal men, the constant allusions towards dreams, the fact that so much of his flashbacks are actually inconsistent in narrative (his rose-concealed machine gun battle that was supposed to be his farewell to the Dragons (with Julia ripping up his letter in the rain after Vicious' threats) also led him to stuttering towards her and her caring for him in bed, which makes no sense).

I don't really think it's 'beat you over the head' territory. But that's the beauty of the show.

Quote:
Also: I haven't seen Gundam 0080, so I can't comment on it.

I would highly recommend it. It's an absolute gem.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:02 am Reply with quote
Air was sad, but I don't think I cried nearly as hard watching that as either the Makoto arc of Kanon or the Fuuko or Kitomi arcs of Clannad. And none of those even touch the climax of Clannad After Story!

As for this week's poll: WTF? Kamisama no Memochou's Alice? Not there? Why????
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:
Would someone mind telling me the proper way to use a spoiler tag before I make my post? Thanks.

The code for spoiler tags are as following:

Code:
[spoiler]Whatever you want hidden between these tags....[/spoiler]

Another way is to just mark the text you want hidden and click the spoiler button on the "post a reply" page. In essence, you use it the same way as the quote function or bold, italics and underline with any amount of text.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
Vision of Escaflowne and X have plenty of moments that are guaranteed to make me cry. And the ending of Nausicaä always has me in tears as well.

Mohawk52 wrote:
The only other title that had me a blubbering mess, apart from "Grave Of The Fireflies" was the ending of "Only Yesterday", but it was tears of joy for that one.

Whenever I watch that one, I always start crying from the moment that Taeko gets on the train...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10