• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Great Unwatched

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwdone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote
My to watch list includes:
R.O.D., Clannad, Mushi-shi, Skull Man, Toradora, 3rd season of Hell Girl, Rumbling Hearts, Count of Monte Crust-o (I can't stand that artwork style).

I've been saving those for a snowy day. The snowy days came and went Sad
I did squeeze in Sol-Bianca finally.
Graddick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
This article made me very happy that I never fully absorbed the collector's mindset. I've been watching anime for more than a decade and I certainly remember coveting each and every episode of Orange Road and Lodoss. But since Bandai Visual held MS IGLOO at ransom for $50 per disc my desire to own them has evaporated.
Since I'm currently in the process of moving I'm trying to divest myself of most of my worldly possessions. I'm so happy that I don't have a mountain of dust-covered DVDs to haul around.

I do have a backlog though. My hard drive is filled to bursting with shows left unwatched, many of them having sat there for 3-4 years.
jared_thorin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
On the first page I posted something about having about 300 unwatched dvds, going through the collection and seperating by what I have and haven't watched..... wasn't pretty. Here's the backlog.

I'm in the process of moving right now so everything's a mess and a lot of stuff is packed away right now but these are wht I could find.... apparently a lot more then three hundred.
Moving really bites....even my poor children are all locked in their boxes.

I doubt they can breath in there.....
qollocust

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
I have a lot of stuff waiting to be watched. I wouldn't say that I'm a full blown collector, but I do have an ongoing list of titles that I want and I will pick them up if I find them at a good price. I'm guilty of bargain shopping - if I see a sale, I have to get something. A lot of what I purchase are older shows that I originally watched on TV or borrowed from friends back in high school (we had a pretty intense trading network set up back in the day). Now that I no longer have those avenues to view the shows I grew up loving I've been investing my money in owning them all.

Cowboy Bebop has been sitting on my shelf for a year and a half, Paranoia Agent for over a year. I bought Ah My Goddess OVA on DVD as I originally bought it on VHS and it's still in shrink wrap.

I'm also guilty of starting a series and never finishing it. One afternoon my roommate and I sat down and watched hours of Gundam Wing only to put the DVDs away and never pick it up again to finish.

Being out of college and in the real world has its trade-offs. On one hand I now have an increased and steady income which means I can splurge on all these awesome box sets. On the other hand working full time has limited my free time to spend consuming these products.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:08 am Reply with quote
At 110 titles, I am on a massive anime watch "catch up". Most of these series I've watched at least half way through. I have all the discs for most of them, so that can't be an excuse. I try to reserve the weekend for viewing but sometimes life intervenes. I tried clearing out a bunch of movies and short OVAs first, followed by shorter series. Now, though, I am in the middle of Soul Eater. I love Master Keaton, but that is probably the toughest series to watch more than a disc at a time before I need something fluffy or giant robot-y to balance out.

Air
Air -Summer Special-
Air: The Movie
Angelic Layer
Aria -The Animation-
Aria -The Natural-
Aria -The OVA- -Arietta-
Aria -The Origination-
Bamboo Blade
Big Windup! -Oofuri-
Boys Be...
Clamp School Detectives
Clannad
Clannad ~After Story~
Code Geass -Lelouch of the Rebellion R2-
Dirty Pair -The OVA Series-
Dirty Pair -Affair of Nolandia-
Dirty Pair -Project Eden-
Dirty Pair -Flight 005 Conspiracy-
Eden of the East
Emma -A Victorian Romance-
Emma -A Victorian Romance- -2nd Act-
Ergo Proxy
Fighting Spirit
Fighting Spirit -Champion Road-
Fullmetal Alchemist -Brotherhood-
Full Metal Panic! -The Second Raid-
Gakuen Alice
The Galaxy Railways
Genshiken -OVA-
Genshiken 2
Gin Tama
Girl’s High
Godannar!!
Golgo 13
Gurren Lagann -The Lights in the Sky Are Stars-
Hayate the Combat Butler
Hell Girl 2 -Two Mirrors-
Hell Girl 3 -Three Vessels-
Hetalia -Axis Powers-
Honey and Clover
Honey and Clover 2
I, My, Me! -Strawberry Eggs-
Junjo Romantica
Kannagi -Crazy Shrine Maidens-
Kanon
KenIchi -The Mightiest Disciple-
Kodocha
Living for the Day After Tomorrow -Asatte no Houkou-
Magic Knight Rayearth
Magic Knight Rayearth 2
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A’s
Maison Ikkoku
Maria ┼ Holic
Master Keaton
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
MONSTER
Moribito -Guardian of the Spirit-
NANA
New Getter Robo
Night Head Genesis
Ninja Nonsense
One Piece
Patlabor: The Mobile Police -The TV Series-
Patlabor: The Mobile Police -The New Files-
Persona -Trinity Soul-
RahXephon: The Motion Picture -Pluralitas Concentio-
Ramen Fighter Miki
Red Garden
Red Garden OVA -Dead Girls-
Rumbling Hearts
Rumiko Takahashi -Anthology-
Rune Soldier
Samurai Harem -Asu no Yoichi!-
School Rumble -2nd Term-
Sherlock Hound
Shigurui -Death Frenzy-
Shingu -Secret of the Stellar Wars-
The Skull Man
The Sky Crawlers
The Slayers
The Slayers -Next-
The Slayers -Try-
The Slayers -Revolution-
The Slayers -Evolution-R-
The Slayers -Gorgeous-
The Slayers -Premium-
The Slayers OVA -Book of Spells-
The Slayers OVA -Excellent-
Soul Eater
Spice and Wolf
Strawberry Marshmallow
Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Tears to Tiara
Toradora!
Toward the Terra
Tower of Druaga -The Aegis of URUK-
Tower of Druaga -The Sword of URUK-
True Tears
The Wallflower
Welcome to the NHK!
Wolf’s Rain
The World of Narue
Xam’d -Lost Memories-
You’re Under Arrest
You’re Under Arrest 2 -Fast & Furious-
You’re Under Arrest 3 -Full Throttle-
You’re Under Arrest -Mini-Specials-
You’re Under Arrest: The Motion Picture
Zipang
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
I own about 80 anime series released in NA, another 10 or so series or parts of series I imported from Japan, maybe 30 anime films, and another 30 or so live action films or dramas mostly imported from Japan and Korea. I've watched at least part of most of those, though there are a few here and there unseen that I bought as bargains or when I had the opportunity to acquire something out of print I thought I would want to watch some day.

My main problem is that I like to re-watch things that I know I like in preference to trying something new. A few real favorites I have watched many, many times. Also, RPG console gaming time competes with anime watching time.

Though I do buy some newer releases, I'm more likely to buy a reissue of something older that I haven't been able to buy. (Like Sailor Moon, please? I only have the S season complete.)

I also own over 1000 volumes of manga, many of which I have not read because I'm trying to complete series.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this has really turned into a fun / interesting thread to read. I'm sure for everyone posts a comment about having a backlog, there are plenty more out there who don't post and have a backlog to one extent or another. I'm guilty of that as well, although I don't believe there is any harm in the backlog. Who wants to say they've seen everything they own? Wink Very Happy You always need a backlog to help confirm that there is, in fact, more anime to be seen. Very Happy
Umandsf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I guess I have some kind of advantage having a low-paying job and parents who aren't exactly supportive of my likes. I have a total of 47 discs in my collection that hasn't increased in many months. While I have watched them all and thus have no pile, I do have a great desire to get more, because I have so many things that people have said I should watch that I haven't. It probably won't pick until I have a decent job and my own place.

However, I do have a smallish pile in my manga, as 3 of my 67 volumes were purchased months ago and have yet to be even open.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, my collection here says I have 214 things. THat means I probably have around 300 or so discs.

I've only not watched in their entirety:

Eden of the East
Ruin Explorers
Harlock Saga
Serial Experiments Lain
Yugo the Negotiator
Key the Metal Idol
Irresponsible Captain Tylor OVAs

The top 3 aren't really a back log. They just came at the same time as Samurai Champloo, and I watched that first and just finished last night. I've seen Lain before, but I haven't rewatched my discs because I'm missing one. The bottom 3 I've started, but never finished for various reasons. We'll say 8 unwatched discs out of 300ish. I'm cool with 94ish% completion.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Out of my modest amassment of 140 discs, a few of them have yet to be played. My Elfen Lied and Kanon collections are perhaps the most prominent examples — I haven't returned to such series since my fansub-consuming days. Also of note is my copy of Project A-Ko, which I foolishly acquired without realising it was dub-only.
The fact that such a film is set to be re-released in R1 works to my advantage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Supermutant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I got about 1800 titles and about 500 over those I haven't watched. Just never have the time to watch them. I keep track of what I haven't watched through DVD Aficionado:
http://supermutant.dvdaf.com/

For photos of the dvd collection in room and dvd folders of here:
http://supermutant2099.deviantart.com/gallery/

Just haven't watched a lot lately because catching up on other dvds backlogged. I try to watch Anime while walking and will probably get through a lot of backlog before Anime Next in June.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
For everyone that loved Ghost in the Shell SAC, I don't know many people (myself included) who have actually finished 2nd Gig. Wonder why that is.

no reason not to at this point, considering its on netflix streaming. Although it is curious, season 2's ending is fantastic and ties itself to the manga pretty well i thought.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I got about 200 individual movies/series (I say 'about' 200 because the exact # depends on whether or not I count the different seasons as their own sets, and other possibly discrepancies: for instance I consider my Ghost in the Shell collection as one bloc, including both series and all the movies). And out of all that I got about 20 unwatched.

I can say that I hoard em for ALL of the reasons mentioned in the article, but lately the big one has been having a shelf full of "new" stuff to watch any time I feel like it. I have been working on whittling away my backlog recently though, every week or 2 I marathon a series in 1 session (from those as short as the 6-episode Afro Samurai to as long as the 45-episode Twelve Kingdoms, which is my current uninterrupted marathon record).

animehermit wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
For everyone that loved Ghost in the Shell SAC, I don't know many people (myself included) who have actually finished 2nd Gig. Wonder why that is.

no reason not to at this point, considering its on netflix streaming. Although it is curious, season 2's ending is fantastic and ties itself to the manga pretty well i thought.

IMO that's because a lot of the early episodes of 2nd Gig are simply not that good (comparatively speaking of course). I still liked it, but the whole time I noticed the dip in quality.
N.R.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Hi Mike! Sorry for being a douchebag, but I found a couple of problems in your article in regard to DVD releases:

Queen Emeraldas wasn't the first ADV DVD release. It was released in 23/11/1999. The first DVD they released was Tekken: The Motion Picture, which was released in 26/01/1999.

Battle Arena Toshinden wasn't the first CPM DVD either. It was released in 14/07/2000. The first DVD they released was Venus Wars in 03/11/1998.

BTW I usually buy anime after I see it, since most series only come out on DVD/BD about a year or two after I see them in fansubbed form. Because of that, even though I own about 200 DVDs (some of them I never opened) I have seen them all.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I have somewhere between 1600 and 1700 DVDs, and of those, around 250-300 are unwatched. It's been awhile since I've done an accurate count, so those are just rough estimates. Due to a very expensive purchase (condo) I haven't been able to buy any new DVDs, so I should have had an opportunity to catch up some. However, due to said purchase, I also had to spend a lot of time looking at various places, and then once I decided on the one I bought, I had to spend a lot of time getting all the paperwork taken care of and moving. So, I actually haven't been able to put much of a dent at all in my backlog.

A lot of titles I do buy because I'm worried they'll go out of print on me. But, I wouldn't buy them if I wasn't interested in watching them. There are tons of shows that have come and gone, likely never to be seen again, and I don't regret not owning them because I had no interest in ever watching them. The thing that slows me down on watching the most is, a good amount of the shows in my backlog I've already seen via fansubs. I do buy everything I watch on fansubs if they ever become available on DVD, or blu ray, but if it's something that I've watched fairly recently, then the desire to watch it again is a lot lower. And since I'm a bit OCD, I must watch my DVDs in the order that I bought them. So even if I have some DVDs that I have never seen before, I can't get to them until I watch the stuff that I got before them even if I've seen it before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8