• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga UK Adds Fairy Tail, Shikabane Hime Aka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Destinyblade wrote:
I haven't kept up with what FUNi is doing, but I thought they were doing more of the re-releases rather than new shows. Maybe I'll check and see what they're going to put out in the near future.

You're not wrong. Funi hasn't announced the licensing of an anime TV series (not movie or OVA) for physical media release (not simulcasting) since the end of last July when it announced Ookami-san, Strike Witches 2 and Shukufuku no Campanella would come out some time this year. Again, I wonder if the uncertainty over its future as a Navarre division is the reason behind what seems to be a paucity of new TV anime series licensing announcements for DVD or BD release.

Tbh, FUNi have such a back-log of titles that they have enough to last them at least 18 months.
I'd imagine, like you mentioned, they wouldn't want to commit to any long-running shows while their sale is up in the air.
After all, if they are sold, whoever buys them might have different plans than what they are already operating by.
From what I've heard, FUNi want to start making/funding their own anime, but a big cash injection would be needed for such. If they did manage this though, then they wouldn't need stuff like Fairy Tail, Hitman Reborn etc, since they would have the possibility to make the next big US hit themselves.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
@ vulcanraven01 - I agree about their backlog of titles. I remember my jaw dropping when they made a ton of announcements at Anime Expo. They've still got Index, Railgun, Shana II, Darker than Black II and Black Lagoon Roberta's Blood Trail OVA waiting in the wings.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Manga UK wants (if not already) to be the British Funimation.

While they've restructured a lot over the years and long lost any shred of global dominance, Manga pre-dates FUNimation and not only dominated but created the UK anime market before competitors like MVM and Beez arrived on the scene.

Quote:
To be fair, they could moderate it a bit and not abide by the "No dub, no release" thing, as American Dub isn't as appreciated over here.

They have said more than once that dubbed DVDs sell better and they're the ones with access to sales figures so that clearly isn't true (the UK public also clearly has no problem with the multitude of US sitcoms and crime dramas on TV), and anime rarely does gangbusters here at the best of times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, how "clean" is this series? If it isn't clean, I don't see it becoming a household name.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
egoist wrote:
Manga UK wants (if not already) to be the British Funimation.

While they've restructured a lot over the years and long lost any shred of global dominance, Manga pre-dates FUNimation and not only dominated but created the UK anime market before competitors like MVM and Beez arrived on the scene.

Yes? Why wouldn't they want to be like Funimation just because Funimation is younger?

Quote:
Quote:
To be fair, they could moderate it a bit and not abide by the "No dub, no release" thing, as American Dub isn't as appreciated over here.

They have said more than once that dubbed DVDs sell better and they're the ones with access to sales figures so that clearly isn't true (the UK public also clearly has no problem with the multitude of US sitcoms and crime dramas on TV), and anime rarely does gangbusters here at the best of times.

They said based on what? What kind of figure in the UK proved that sub only releases sell half as much as dub-sub releases? The only way to get a reliable data would be to have 2 separate releases, one limited to dub, and another to sub. And that's not all. How many good titles have they passed and lost money on just because they couldn't suck up to an American distributor to get a dub?

And what isn't true? I'm saying the American dub isn't as appreciated in the UK as is in the US.

Lastly, there's a difference between making more profit with one, or not making profit at all by not accepting the one that makes less profit.

Last edited by egoist on Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
cohenmarioman wrote:
Interesting, how "clean" is this series? If it isn't clean, I don't see it becoming a household name.

Fairy Tail's pretty clean. Based on the couple episodes I've seen, only some minor fan service would have to be removed.

I'm pretty sure someone in the US has this. I'm betting on Funi. Sentai I doubt would license something like this. Plus because Manga UK announced two Eden of the East films, and they distribute most of Funi's licenses these days, Funi looks like a very likely candidate.

I do hope this makes it on Toonzai or even better (and less likely), Cartoon Network! Surprised

I hope this also means good news for Hitman Reborn! I doubt it, but I can only hope!
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
cohenmarioman wrote:

Fairy Tail's pretty clean. Based on the couple episodes I've seen, only some minor fan service would have to be removed.

I'm pretty sure someone in the US has this. I'm betting on Funi. Sentai I doubt would license something like this. Plus because Manga UK announced two Eden of the East films, and they distribute most of Funi's licenses these days, Funi looks like a very likely candidate.

I do hope this makes it on Toonzai or even better (and less likely), Cartoon Network! Surprised

I hope this also means good news for Hitman Reborn! I doubt it, but I can only hope!

I second a Toonzai airing if Funi has the license(doubt Sentai would go for this). The anime is clearly going for a younger demographic than the manga, and it's been a while since there's been a series that could be easily marketed towards kids here(Kai does NOT count since it;s just a DBZ rehash).
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote
CN is not happening, they missed their last chance with Kai being sent over to Nicktoons and Shippuden to Anime hyper. If it would be on TV, either Toonzai or one of those two would get it, or possibly Toonzai and one of the two.

Sentai did pick up Eyeshield 21, which is a long running series, so if this was long running, and they did pick it up, would there be any hope for a dub?
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
It seems that dubs are not guaranteed anymore. Dang it! -_-'

Aw well, at least Tales of the Abyss is getting a dub, that's practically all I'm gonna look forward to, as well as Darker Than Black season 2.

Last edited by TopGunman on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Takuku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Hmm, but Beez is the one releasing Durarara!!, not Manga UK.

I never said it was Manga doing it.
rhynoo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I kinda think Viz or 4kids Anime cry might have fairy tail.
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:
Wish it was Katekyo Hitman Reborn! instead of Fairy Tail (since there could of been a chance that a US company could of had the rights to the Reborn! Anime). Crying or Very sad

I wish it was both!! They're both great Shonens which are becoming increasingly popular in America but it seems like any major licensing companies aren't looking at it as the should and realize their potential of doing well here.

Idk what's Viz's problem with Reborn since they haven't mentioned anything about anything like the releasing more volumes or a dub since they did do a little promoting in Shonen Jump awhile ago then everything just comes to a complete stop. Viz needs to make up their mind on what they need to do with Reborn because this is making me highly irratated with them.

I think Fairy Tail will work on CN or (I can't believe I'm saying this) Toonzai since it seems like it will work with both but I really would like CN to show ir since Toonzai will cut out everything that doesn't need to be cut out but who knows something may work out.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Let's see if Manga decide to dust off CTV Studios in Cardiff and give us an actual English dub after so many years Very Happy

(and yes I realise Cardiff isn't in England... Razz )

And I dunno where the "UK doesn't like US dubs" comes from, they sure seem popular enough if the cons are anything to go by.
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
sakuramusicstar wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
Wish it was Katekyo Hitman Reborn! instead of Fairy Tail (since there could of been a chance that a US company could of had the rights to the Reborn! Anime). Crying or Very sad

I wish it was both!! They're both great Shonens which are becoming increasingly popular in America but it seems like any major licensing companies aren't looking at it as the should and realize their potential of doing well here.

Idk what's Viz's problem with Reborn since they haven't mentioned anything about anything like the releasing more volumes or a dub since they did do a little promoting in Shonen Jump awhile ago then everything just comes to a complete stop. Viz needs to make up their mind on what they need to do with Reborn because this is making me highly irratated with them.

I think Fairy Tail will work on CN or (I can't believe I'm saying this) Toonzai since it seems like it will work with both but I really would like CN to show ir since Toonzai will cut out everything that doesn't need to be cut out but who knows something may work out.

I thought Fairy Tale was a clean anime (I asked and got the answer yes) so if the only thing that needs to be cut is fan service, is there a problem with that? Do you watch it for that?

Or are you talking about something I haven't been told about? Please let me know what they might cut, since I don't know.

CN isn't going to get any more anime, unless 4kids licenses them 5Ds or Zexal.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Who boy, there's going to tears before bedtime for this one...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4