• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yusuke1022

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote
why is it adults only? i'm not allowed to get it. has anyone read it? is it that bad?
VileRiot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why people say things are "adult" I've never had any problems with things like that. But in mature quality, it is a manga for older viewers. If you are in the U.S. I can see why it would be rated for adults.

It's not really that bad from my view, but I'm pretty open about things like that.
tsukinoken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
err well lets see its rated as adult in the us because....
1)it depicts scenes of rape and sexual intercourse (read volume 9 if you want to know what im talking about)
2)major scenes of violence and bloodshed and suicide
Of course im pretty open to things like that so if you cant get over those two things it is really an amazing and enjoyable read Very Happy
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
yusuke1022 wrote:
why is it adults only? i'm not allowed to get it. has anyone read it? is it that bad?

It is definitely for mature audiences. It is very violent and pretty gory. There is also rape, incest, and explicit sex in it.

While there are some worse titles out there, it is certainly derserving of it's "Adults Only" status and the shrink-wrap.

EDIT: And if your parents are still deciding what you can and can't get, you shouldn't be getting this series.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote
You all forgot castration. A horrid, horrid castration...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:13 am Reply with quote
tsukinoken wrote:

1)it depicts scenes of rape and sexual intercourse (read volume 9 if you want to know what im talking about)
2)major scenes of violence and bloodshed and suicide

That is why you're not allowed to get it. In fact, I'm sure all parents would not let their kids read something like that. Volume 9 is not the only one that has hardcore sex scenes but you'll find that out later on. When I first read this manga, I couldn't believe I let my friend show it to me. But then as I read the story more and learned about the development of the characters and the plot, then it became interesting to me.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
You all forgot castration. A horrid, horrid castration...

I don't remember that... that may not have happened yet in the volumes that have been released here.
Arakis
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote
If it's the same scene I'm thinking of, you'll see it soon in the DH/DM releases. Though judging from a quick shot at the end of the volume in question, I'm not positive it was a "true" castration. I guess it's open to interpretation, and given the condition of the character in question at that time, a moot point.

As someone who works with the book on a regular basis, I concur that it's not something I'd want a child to have access to. *Maybe* a teenager, like 16 or so, but only if they're mature enough to handle the subject matter. I don't know that I was open-minded and experienced enough to at that age...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote
it is rather gorey, violent and has a bit of sex in it (to make a vast understatement), but its really not about all that.
Its a story about how the main character grows and develops. Really more of a psychology manga than action
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:12 am Reply with quote
It's the greatest manga ever written, but if your parents still decide what you read you should NOT be reading it. Berserk contains:

1) Children being raped
2) Adults being raped
3) Beastiality-rape
4) Demons raping people, including tentacle rape
5) Graphic sex scenes
6) Graphic, brutal torture sequences
7) The most disturbing imagery ever created
8) Strong, pervasive, VERY graphic violence
9) Strong language
10) Mature psychological themes

In short, no children should be reading Berserk.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:21 pm Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:

1) Children being raped
2) Adults being raped
3) Beastiality-rape
5) Graphic sex scenes
9) Strong language

Don't forget orgies.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:20 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
coolerimmortal wrote:

1) Children being raped
2) Adults being raped
3) Beastiality-rape
5) Graphic sex scenes
9) Strong language

Don't forget orgies.

Heh...I counted that with "graphic sex scenes"...although that scene was really disturbing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:25 am Reply with quote
Well I'm supposing you're referring to volume 3 where spoiler[the slug guy came back after a battle and found his wife in a room with all these other people having sex. But then I saw she was [expletive] herself on the stone penis of the statue.]
That was really something.
VTShaftBG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:20 am Reply with quote
I've tried to make a rough count, and I think that he kills, on average, about 1100 people per volume (of course this comes in waves). This including what you see and what people say he did, though more often than not you see most of the kills.

So in reading 30+ volumes, he has killed more than 30,000 men/demons/hideous inbetweeners

But somehow it maintains a plot, which is why this manga isn't trash
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:34 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Well I'm supposing you're referring to volume 3 where spoiler[the slug guy came back after a battle and found his wife in a room with all these other people having sex. But then I saw she was [expletive] herself on the stone penis of the statue.]
That was really something.

No...I'm talking about spoiler[the huge orgy in the cave around volume 16...remember, they've got the stew made out of humans, they're using some sort of drug that distorts reality, etc...]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5