• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The World God Only Knows Episodes 1-12 streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
This is a problem.

Throughout the couple of episodes that I watched, the only thing Keima seems to do is play his PFP. Had the mahou shoujo not bumped into him he likely would have not had any sort of social interaction at all.

Again, that's a problem. And to pander to those sorts of people, thus blurring the line between games and reality... just seems harmful in my opinion. These are guys taking their portable gaming systems on dates.

Last edited by Megiddo on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

I'll concede the point. However, as long as you don't go to a resort with your virtual girlfriend or try to marry your virtual girlfriend, I still sez it's okay to play dating games!
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

I'll concede the point. However, as long as you don't go to a resort with your virtual girlfriend or try to marry your virtual girlfriend, I still sez it's okay to play dating games!

I don't see a problem with dating sims as long as you know that stuff does not work in real life then it is okay then. If you start to think it does then that is a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

I don't see a problem with dating sims as long as you know that stuff does not work in real life then it is okay then. If you start to think it does then that is a problem.

That's the issue. It does say it works.

You had a perfect comedic foil. This could have been "Chris chan the anime" where our visual novel king can't deal with women and gets trolled by all manner of forces. Instead, it supports a false stereotype, and as a result, is more annoying than funny.
Ryutai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I must say that I disliked this anime adaptation, because the pacing was really too slow and in general the direction was awful.
Anyway, guys, if you think that the premise of this series is interesting, I advise you to read the manga, that is really very good.
I can understand if some of you have misunderstood the sense of the story, because it is just at the beginning in the anime; but I can assure you that this manga doesn't support the idea that reality is like a game, and it's alright if you spend all your life playing some galge all the time...If you read it, you'll see that its global message is really the opposite. ^^ Believe me, this manga is much smarter than you think, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Last edited by Ryutai on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

That's the issue. It does say it works.

You had a perfect comedic foil. This could have been "Chris chan the anime" where our visual novel king can't deal with women and gets trolled by all manner of forces. Instead, it supports a false stereotype, and as a result, is more annoying than funny.

I think you are misinterpreting the show. Not surprising, because it doesn't sound like you have watched much of it. I don't get the sense that the show is saying that following dating sim cliches will actually work in real life. Nor do I get the sense that the show is trying to indicate that Keima's absorption in dating games is a good thing. The reason he doesn't get trashed more often is that most of the time he is only interacting with Elsee or his mom. Even these two basically sympathetic characters don't support his absorption in games or think it's a good thing. The girls he tries to "conquer" don't often get to see the full extent of his gaming side or even his obnoxious side, so there is no real reason for them to trash him the way you seem to be longing for.

It is obvious that the show is not interested in being a cutting edge condemnation of dating games. It's playing Keima's situation for laughs, primarily. But I get that sometimes people do get down on a show because it isn't what they want it to be as opposed to getting down on a show for what it is.
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Everyone who disliked this 12 episode anime then go read the manga it is 100 times better than this and is way ahead. -__- The recent chapters have gotten really good. So I recommend anyone who had any kinds of hope for this show to go and read the manga. You won't be disappointed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3