• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Pro's and CON's of advertising an off-site event

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mayuka_DD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote

I was wondering if a (non-event) convention could be advertised. Specifically, if there could be a contest here where other Tenchi Muyo message boards could give their best promotional package for a 2006 Tenchi-Con on their board. Like how different cities like New York, Bejing, etc creates a promotional package and sends it to the Olympic committee for them to choose which city they will choose to officially host the olympics for that season (spring,summer,fall,winter). I tried to ask this on the AIC message board, but the message board there is no longer active. And I was thinking that one of the AIC members could come here and judge between the entrants and decide upon a winner. Would this be a valid competition to do here? Basically, it would be where each board would do a self-promo, but tastefully. But I thought that it would be interesting to see. But I would understand if this would be a no-go, as boards are kind'ov protective about their members.

-Mayuka_DD
DavisMarkin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:29 am Reply with quote
I can't say I understand Anime Conventions well enough, but I can tell you that the World Science Fiction Convention (WorldCon, as it's known) does have a bidding process, where each potential host city's convention committee (a group of people from the city's region who wants to host WorldCon) creates a promotional campaign, and goes around the various conventions to get people to vote for them (it's a democratic style voting process, rather than an administrative one). The people allowed to vote are those who are attending the convention, or have supporting memberships (well below the cost of an actual membership, although you cannot attend the con unless you upgrade to a regular membership). I suppose though, that it would be difficult to do for a convention that has yet to start (WorldCon host city voting is done at the convention 2 years beforehand, used to be 3).

I suppose what you are looking for is an administrative vote, in which case, you probably would have to do something akin to the IOC's setup (each committee sends a package of documents which would be used, along with other information, to determine who wins the bid). I'd probably recommend, however, not doing this unless the convention is very large (most small cons, either in scope or size, people won't travel to get to, and you might have a difficult time attracting new attendees if they know the convention will probably move the year after that, that's why WorldCon is pretty much the only convention with a host city voting process, it has the scope and numbers, and now the history, which is much harder to create).
Mayuka_DD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote

(sorry it took me a while to get back online )

Here's the gist of it again.

The internet is the place to be. There has already been widespread news coverage about..

* Internet-based concerts
* Internet-based business meetings
* Internet-based conferences
* Internet-based schools (online college classes for very rural areas)
* Internet-based social hang-outs (game rooms, chat rooms, etc)

.. so I was thinking that since there are comic conventions, anime conventions, and so forth which I don't have any real chance of attending (as I also think that most of us won't be able to attend either), then why not create a Tenchi Muyo convention and advertise it. It'll be an internet-based convention which any Tenchi Muyo fan around the world can drop by and give their insights, curiousity, and good humor to. At the anime message board which I call my 2nd home. I'm sure that the message board I'm talking about might be the very first to host an internet based convention. At least, a Tenchi Muyo convention. Where different members (also Tenchi Muyo fans) could promote their talents where they could share their own abilities for prospering the Tenchi Muyo fandon. Like editing available pictures to come up with a new custom picture to promote a board event such as an anime themed Karoake night, while others could put their Tenchi Muyo music video collection on eBay and advertise it through their "booth" on this message board. Some could make Tenchi Muyo plushies to do the same with, and other things. But basically, it's just an event to showcase their talents and love for this series by sharing it with others who has never been to an anime (Tenchi Muyo) convention.
DavisMarkin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:39 am Reply with quote
Ahh. I completely misread your first posting then, I apologize. I can't really say I know much about internet 'conventions' though, I might recommend you do a search for some that have been run (I don't know of any, sadly) and contact the people who were involved in the committee to run those. They might be able to help you with added information regarding what they did to promote the event (it still qualifies as an event, it's not non-physical) and other issues that went with running an online convention. I imagine that most would consist of message boards and chat rooms, maybe specialized ones with whiteboards and such. Sorry I couldn't be of more help though. Hopefully there are others who can.
Mayuka_DD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:55 pm Reply with quote

Would it be allowable, if I could advertise for the message board convention on this message board? Or would that not be considered as tasteful promotion?

(PS: Your idea about contacting others on the internet concerning message board conventions IS a great idea and I'm sort'ov embarassed about not thinking of it myself)
isaacada1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Yamato-Con took place in the early 80's to promote Star Blazers/Space Cruiser Yamato. RoboCon has been around since the mid 80's to promote Robotech. Botcon came later on to promote Transformers.

I believe there's a Naruto convention in LA later this year.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
tstidm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
According to Fansview, Narutocon has been canceled because there weren't enough Pre-Registrations to make it happen. I think it was an idea a couple years ahead of it's time. Naruto has not even hit domestic TV, so the fanbase isn't there yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1