• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Back to the Future... of Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:07 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Bamboo-I demand to know why this week's column isn't entitled "Battle of the Planetes." Such a perfect pun opportunity wasted! Crying or Very sad

O_O THAT'S BRILLIANT. That didn't even occur to me!! Man, you're right, that would have been perfect! Nuts.

You can still change it. You were able to change last week's title heading, so why not? Smile
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Bamboo-I demand to know why this week's column isn't entitled "Battle of the Planetes." Such a perfect pun opportunity wasted! Crying or Very sad

O_O THAT'S BRILLIANT. That didn't even occur to me!! Man, you're right, that would have been perfect! Nuts.

I hope a certain member of the Tekkoshocon staff isn't reading this thread. He doesn't like us when we pun this well.

Oh, and quick warning about MoO: It gets formulaic in a hurry.
Kalium

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:58 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Oh, and quick warning about MoO: It gets formulaic in a hurry.

A bunch of the plot arcs are even thesame length, too. There're four or five three-episode plot arcs. Some of them are pretty formulaic. Some of them are pretty strange. Then there's the end...
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
I can't wait to get Planetes.

Neither can I. I loved it in fansub, and got my anime club at school hooked on it (not hard seeing as I go to an Aeronautical University. anything heavilly involving space travel usually perks our attention, and something like Planetes grabs it and locks onto it). I just need to get out and buy it. I can't wait to see the NASA Space Debris scientist interviews Smile.

OT: on a related note, I know of one of the astrospace engineering design teams at my school whose project was a device that would measure the velocity and position of space debris (it would orbit the Earth and when it collided with space debris, it would note the velocity and trajectory). Of course it was just for a detail design course so it was a model/prototype, not an actual unit. Still, VERY cool. I remember admiring it when it was sitting in my linear algebra prof's office (she happens to also be department head of our AE program).
andrael

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:55 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

I never really understood all the Utena comparisons. Of course, I never really watched Utena.

Trust me -- just within the first half of the first episode of Melody of Oblivion, I was struck by how Utena-esque it was. It's mostly the general aura of bizarreness, and maybe the color palette.

And speaking of Utena-esque series, and ... I don't recall ever seeing Princess Tutu vol. 1 in this column. Is there any chance of seeing that in the future? Very Happy
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:50 am Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
I can't wait to see the NASA Space Debris scientist interviews Smile.

You won't be disappointed; it was excellent! Very Happy

BTW, I did a quick MSN Search for "orbital debris program" and discovered that NASA publishes a quarterly newsletter devoted to their orbital debris program. It's called the Orbital Debris Quarterly News, and you can access their back issues here (just be sure you have Adobe on your PC since they are PDF files. Wink ):

http://www.orbitaldebris.jsc.nasa.gov/newsletter/newsletter.html
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:00 am Reply with quote
I think Planetes would also be a great anime to get my friends into anime seeing as they'd love the hard sci-fi and space-exploration aspect to it Very Happy.

*rubs hands sneakilly* they shall succumb to my BRILLIANT plan *maniacal laughter* Razz Razz
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:41 am Reply with quote
andrael wrote:
And speaking of Utena-esque series, and ... I don't recall ever seeing Princess Tutu vol. 1 in this column. Is there any chance of seeing that in the future? Very Happy

Keep watching the main page. My review of it is the next one due to be posted. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

tiredgamer wrote:
Painted DVD covers.
Oh how I hope ADV releases a series of posters...

I think they will, actually (though I don't know this for sure, so don't take my word for it), since when I first got the press kit for it, they sent me a poster too and it looked hella sweet. The covers look *really* nice, so I too hope that they'll either sell the posters, or make a booklet of them or something.

Oh that would be so so sweet. ADV could sell me one for every DVD cover. Alex Ross makes such beautiful painted works, and I'm shocked that we haven't seen commissions for similar older animated works before. Gundam and Starblazers are another two that deserve the painted treatment... hmm, I wonder if Jerry Chu could be talked into it...
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:36 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
v1cious wrote:
so does Planetes stay consistently good throughout the whole series?

Yes, and it has a magnificent ending as well.

Seriously? Well that's a welcome change! I'll deffinatley need to pick this one up then.

And a big welcome back to Shelf Life. I missed your column. Hopefully now that finals are done, we'll see some more regular updates! I'm not even IN school, and I doubt I could find the time for a MONTHLY column, let alone weekly Laughing
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Alex Ross is a Gatchaman FREAK. I've read interviews with him where he prattled on about the show forever. He's done like a million paintings of the Science Ninja Team, so I wouldn't be surprised if these DVD covers are preexsisting artwork by him; in which case, they may be posters already. All depends on weather ADV felt like paying for new artwork.

I caught an interview he did on TAN and it seemed he had pencil sketches but nothing complete until he did some work for Wizard. Since they do Anime Insider I'm sure they put Alex and ADV together. It's a match made in heaven... now if only other holders of old properties went to such lengths.
animalia555

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The hope is that with regular weekly columns, there can be supplementary columns in between that review the titles I either didn't have at the time of writing the column, or older ones. Hopefully this'll let me stay on track of that weekly schedule, while still hitting all the discs I have in my pile.
Maybe you can add southern cross to that list?
AlDim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:15 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
so does Planetes stay consistently good throughout the whole series?

Actually it gets much much better. In fact I'd argue that the only downside of the show are the first 5-6 episodes. Some are ok, one plain sucks, but then the show really picks up and never lets go till the wonderful ending.

On a side note, as great as the TV show is, the Planetes manga completely blows it away, especially in the incredible volumes 3 and 4. It is quite different and has a lot more going on after the ending of the anime. It's not just the best manga I've ever read, but one of the best sci-fi works in any medium.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2