• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo to Help Bring 'Key' Games Overseas to Boost 3DS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
*waves hand* You want Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney to come out here.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see get imported into the states!

please keep the list growing!
Blak_Gear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Localizing Project X Zone was a start. I'm getting a 3DS for sure now with this game coming out. If a title like PXZ makes it over here, I think Bravely Default will be able too.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I was also thinking it was KEY until I was like oh wait 3DS? That makes no sense lol. They only have PSP Vita.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Key games meaning what I wonder? Wouldn't mind seeing more Dragon Quest games brought over and other series as well.

If Nintendo really wanted to experiment with more success, you'd think they license Mother 3 or at least see how Earthbound would fare in today's market.

Yes, I know the reasoning behind why Nintendo hasn't re-released this game but it's been 18 years since this game was released for the Super Nintendo, so surely some agreement could be reached.

Eh, Nintendo pulled out all of the stops when they released Earthbound back in the '90s--magazine ads, scratch 'n' sniff stickers, an enclosed strategy guide, even TV ads--and it bombed on them. Sure, the Earthbound fandom is big and loud, but I'm thinking that Nintendo knows that the Earthbound fans have everything they'll ever want on that one big Eartbound fansite named after an Earthbound monster. Fun as Earthbound is, it still "weird" in that Japanese sense that might make people who are already dismissive of Nintendo's other RPGs want to try it out. Also, it hasn't exactly aged gracefully...

...but, hey, a man can dream. A man can dream.

Nintendo's been making waves with their Nintendo Direct messages lately, like with Pokémon X and Y and Shin Megami Tense X Fire Emblem. I think it's safe to assume that their next Nintendo Direct will be an equally massive payload.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
I think with Earthbound, the problem is that you really can't advertise for it.

Unlike something like Mario or CoD where you can see what you'll get in a few commercial clips, Earthbound really is something you need to play through to understand.
Blazaking

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:23 am Reply with quote
Lol, glad I'm not the only one who thought they were bringing over the KEY visual novels.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:20 am Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
I think there's still a lot of work to be done with the 3DS. The original DS had a lot of novelty that I think has worn off by now and 3D alone probably isn't going to carry this system (in fact, for some it's a deterrent). Despite the novelty, the DS had a huge game library with a lot of variety - a lesson Nintendo hopefully takes to heart. When they say "key games" I really do hope they reach out for a variety here as well. And yes, Bravely Default would be a nice addition!

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
If Nintendo really wanted to experiment with more success, you'd think they license Mother 3 or at least see how Earthbound would fare in today's market.

We can dream...

I'm sorry, but have you been living in a cave? Since this time last year, 3DS has been Nintendo's fastest selling console to date. Since it's release, it has already overtaken total sales of the Gamecube, and even the original XBox. The 3DS has a ridiculously good library of games compared to any handheld, and when you consider how long it's been out, this becomes even more remarkable. What's more, the library already has plenty of variety. So, yeah, not entirely sure what your point is... bringing over one more JRPG isn't really going to add anymore variety...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:34 am Reply with quote
Guess they have to do this since they had to revise their forecast downwards (Wii U: 5.5 million --> 4 million, 3DS: 17.5 million --> 15 million).
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote
Well bringing over FE: awakening was a good start (especially since the last fire emblem wasn't localized). Other than that I can't think of any big 3DS game that absolutely demands and international release.

Other than Mother, of course. And perhaps Dragon Quest as well, seeing as that has dried up overseas lately.
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Wouldn't it be funny if Key games meant actual games by Key, like Kanon and Clannad?

That's what I thought too...got my hopes up for a second. Oh well...
Texas84

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Misleading title is misleading. Rats.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
It'd be nice if they could finally get out Animal Crossing New Leaf. ASAP. They have no excuses left. The game is out in Japan, and has been for months. Games like Luigi's Mansion and Fire Emblem shouldn't have been prioritized. (Nothing against them, it's just they were announced quite some time after Animal Crossing so that's frustrating).
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:41 am Reply with quote
lizardking461 wrote:
tasogarenootome wrote:
I think there's still a lot of work to be done with the 3DS. The original DS had a lot of novelty that I think has worn off by now and 3D alone probably isn't going to carry this system (in fact, for some it's a deterrent). Despite the novelty, the DS had a huge game library with a lot of variety - a lesson Nintendo hopefully takes to heart. When they say "key games" I really do hope they reach out for a variety here as well. And yes, Bravely Default would be a nice addition!

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

We can dream...

I'm sorry, but have you been living in a cave? Since this time last year, 3DS has been Nintendo's fastest selling console to date. Since it's release, it has already overtaken total sales of the Gamecube, and even the original XBox. The 3DS has a ridiculously good library of games compared to any handheld, and when you consider how long it's been out, this becomes even more remarkable. What's more, the library already has plenty of variety. So, yeah, not entirely sure what your point is... bringing over one more JRPG isn't really going to add anymore variety...

3ds library is joke compared to either the ds or psp. It has only a handful of rpgs and more than half are re releases or ports. Code Princess and Fire Emblem are the only exclusive original titles. Zero's is cross platform with the vita so I dont count that.
barrelroller

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
3ds library is joke compared to either the ds or psp. It has only a handful of rpgs and more than half are re releases or ports. Code Princess and Fire Emblem are the only exclusive original titles. Zero's is cross platform with the vita so I don't count that.

Comparing the 3DS library to consoles that are both almost a decade old makes your argument invalid. Even if it doesn't have 9,001 RPGs yet, I don't think you should judge a console that's not even two years old yet. Chill out, wait, and deal with it.

That aside...

Nintendo of America doesn't have a very good rep for bringing Japanese games here. Completely ignoring Fire Emblem Awakening (announcing it in a tweet after E3, that's cold man) and Animal Crossing for the longest time was just odd. At least both sides (US & Japan) are working together to their 1st party releases here faster. I'm all for it, Nintendo. Don't let us down...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3