• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's From Up on Poppy Hill Previewed in English Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Using celebrities allows them to sell it to anyone, at all. "Latest Kids Craze Movie X" doesn't need that effort, the tie-in cards, toys, games, or whatever will sell the movie enough. Using big names in something Ponyo can mean several more million dollars and more screens, as well as more BD/DVD sales. Parents like known Hollywood actors, it makes the movies feel more familiar and approachable. "Oh, Brad Pitt is in this? Maybe it'll be good." That's why they cast A-listers.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Disney, do we know WHY they aren't doing this movie? Did they just decide it wasn't worth the effort anymore? I haven't heard a thing about this and I've been very curious.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Speaking of Disney, do we know WHY they aren't doing this movie? Did they just decide it wasn't worth the effort anymore? I haven't heard a thing about this and I've been very curious.

Could be the subject matter and it's not as marketable to children as Ghibli's other recent slew of releases have been. It's also fairly impossible to un-Japanify, whereas Ponyo, Arrietty, and even Spirited Away were more universal. There are zero fantastic elements in this film. They would definitely have to market it to an audience older than 6-12, and it does have a theme of possible incest throughout that must be poison to Disney. It's like Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves, they're just not titles Disney can market to Western youth in their usual approach. It may have been seen as a standard family film in Japan, but social norms don't always carry.

That's just my speculation. If Disney had wanted the entire Ghibli collection, regardless of content, there's very little that would have stopped them. They can outbit anyone and they have good rapport. They just don't want these titles, and I'm glad they didn't do the asshole move by licensing them with absolutely no plans of releasing them in any form, thus preventing any other licensee from doing so. And being that it's Disney, those licenses must have some kind of legal permanence worked into them because that's how Disney rolls.
triangle_man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
I'm seriously hoping to see this at the Alamo Drafthouse!

Also, if this non-Disney distribution works for them, maybe we'll see a home video release of Only Yesterday at some point...
Adamb15

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
Emily Osment (Hannah Montana)
Alex Wolff (Naked Brother's Band)

Notto Disu Shitto Agen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2