• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite musical anime.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coykiesaol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:34 am Reply with quote
my favorite music anime is la corda doro. i love this anime cause it inspire me to play the violin.
excaliber736

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:25 am Reply with quote
I guess the only one that I've actually seen is Nodame Cantabile, so let's go with that. It was pretty good.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:24 am Reply with quote
Musical anime? Is that anime that has a lot of music being played and singing? For an anime with one of it's main focuses being music I might say K-ON, true they are not always doing music, actually characters even point it out, but I did enjoy what music they had.

There have been some anime that have had musical episodes aswell, that is they broke out in song all of a suden. I ones like that are Kanamemo, which for some reason also had them in swimsuits, and Kure-nai which had them getting very overdramatic and very funny.

I must admit that I have not really heard of much musical anime.
EricDent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Here are a couple of examples of musical anime (from my collection)

BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad: The day to day struggles of a band trying to make themselves famous. They get a break when they recruit high-school students. Pretty good show, and the dub is awesome IMO (especially the songs in English). The sub version is pretty good, but it does have quite a bit of "Engrish". Note: this show does have quite a bit of "bad words" especially in the first couple of episodes.

Nerima Daikon Brothers: A Blues band trying to get $ to build their own stadium in the middle of Nerima. They go on many wacky adventures, filled with wacky characters. Of course since this is by Nabeshin so what else did you expect. Again the dub (yes they sing the songs in English) is great, and the sub is also great.

Chance Pop Session (AKA Chance Triangle Session): A show about 3 young girls trying to break into the music business. They want to follow their idol. However there is a big secret hiding between themselves. Kind of an older show so the dub does not feature English singing (they switch to the Japanese), but it is pretty decent. The girls are all rather cute, and it is a short series. Warning, the ending to the series is pretty darn sad.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad: The day to day struggles of a band trying to make themselves famous. They get a break when they recruit high-school students. Pretty good show, and the dub is awesome IMO (especially the songs in English). The sub version is pretty good, but it does have quite a bit of "Engrish". Note: this show does have quite a bit of "bad words" especially in the first couple of episodes.

Nerima Daikon Brothers: A Blues band trying to get $ to build their own stadium in the middle of Nerima. They go on many wacky adventures, filled with wacky characters. Of course since this is by Nabeshin so what else did you expect. Again the dub (yes they sing the songs in English) is great, and the sub is also great.

The two anime I would've mentioned had I posted. I have Beck on DVD and it's easily one of my favorite anime, and NDB is also great as well. I prefer the dubs of both, especially Beck's, which has amazing songs.

But for the record, Beck has a shitload of cursing all the way through, not just the beginning. Laughing

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
@op, you might want to spice up your post, and elaborate on what kinds of musical animes.

I haven't watched much music related anime, but my favorite would probably be Macross Frontier. It's a mecha anime combined with singing elements which is just a win for me because I absolutely love mecha. The songs themselves were pretty nice, though I didn't really pay attention to most of them, besides "Aimo". It was weird at first, but I got used to it. The use of singing during battles was really interesting, and I should say unique. I haven't seen it's predecessors, Macross 7, and the original Macross but I'd say they should be good judging from the opinions I've seen/read.

I'd like to list a few (or one) that a few people might mention (I haven't seen them):

Nodame Cantabile
: Female pianist and a male conductor, this series explores the relationship developing between these 2 characters and also the musical relationship they both have.

Beck: It's about a kid/teenager who starts to learn about the guitar and he becomes 'stronger' (emotionally?).

Detroit Metal City: I guess the name pretty much suggests what it's about. The music genre of metal is what I assume it's about.

Nana: I have no idea what this is about, but I assume it's about a band and probably their experiences. (Correct synopsis is 2-3 posts below.)

Edit: For correction synopsis of Nodame Cantabile.

Last edited by EmbraceMe on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Nana: I have no idea what this is about, but I assume it's about a band and probably their experiences.
I haven't seen Nana, but I'm almost positive that you're wrong way. xD.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Hey! No one's mentioned Princess Tutu? It doesn't involve playing musical instruments outright, but considering the ballet/opera inspired story, the music becomes integral with the storytelling. It perfectly matches each climax and each low the characters feel.

Also, Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem certainly counts. While it's not my favorite anime, it really does blend Daft Punk's soundtrack perfectly with the visuals.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
EmbraceMe wrote:
Nana: I have no idea what this is about, but I assume it's about a band and probably their experiences.

I was too lazy to do a search during that post to do a short synopsis of it. But I wanted to see how off my guess was, so I just did a search.

Nana
: (synopsis off Wikipedia)
Quote:

Nana Osaki is a punk singer who wants to debut with her band, Black Stones (BLAST for short), where she is the lead vocalist and her boyfriend, Ren, is the bassist. Nana and Ren have lived together as lovers since she was 16. When Ren is offered a chance to debut in Tokyo as a replacement member of the popular band, Trapnest (Toranesu in Japanese), Nana chooses to continue on with BLAST and to cultivate her own career instead of following Ren, as she has too much ambition to simply be a rockstar's girlfriend. She eventually leaves for Tokyo at the age of twenty to start her musical career.

Nana Komatsu, the other Nana, has a habit of falling in love at first sight all the time, and depending on other people to help her. When her friends, and then her boyfriend, leave for Tokyo, she decides to join them a year later after having saved enough money at the age of twenty.

The two Nanas meet on a train by chance, both on their way to Tokyo. After a string of coincidences, they come to live together in an apartment numbered 707 (nana means "seven" in Japanese). Despite having contrasting personalities and ideals, the Nanas like and respect each other a great deal.

Nana Osaki gives Nana Komatsu the nickname Hachi (after Hachikō, because she is weak-willed and has characteristics that resemble a puppy, and also as a joke since hachi means "eight" and nana means "seven" in Japanese).

While BLAST begins to gain popularity at live gigs, the two Nanas face many other issues together, especially in the areas of friendship and romance. The story of Nana revolves heavily around the romance and relationships of the two characters as one seeks fame and recognition while the other seeks love and happiness.

Damn, that's a long synopsis... So... Err... After reading that, seems like my assumption was about 1/8th correct? I was assuming it would be about their musical experiences, but it was a bit off. It seems to be more about love/happiness while one is in a band and stawf.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Nodame Cantabile: Something about a guy playing a piano and a good female singer. Male wants to play overseas but can't and it explores their relationship with their love for music.

Not quite: he's a conductor; she's the piano player.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teankun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
EmbraceMe wrote:

I was too lazy to do a search during that post to do a short synopsis of it. But I wanted to see how off my guess was, so I just did a search.

Nana
: (synopsis off Wikipedia)
Quote:

Nana Osaki is a punk singer who wants to debut with her band, Black Stones (BLAST for short), where she is the lead vocalist and her boyfriend, Ren, is the bassist. Nana and Ren have lived together as lovers since she was 16. When Ren is offered a chance to debut in Tokyo as a replacement member of the popular band, Trapnest (Toranesu in Japanese), Nana chooses to continue on with BLAST and to cultivate her own career instead of following Ren, as she has too much ambition to simply be a rockstar's girlfriend. She eventually leaves for Tokyo at the age of twenty to start her musical career.

Nana Komatsu, the other Nana, has a habit of falling in love at first sight all the time, and depending on other people to help her. When her friends, and then her boyfriend, leave for Tokyo, she decides to join them a year later after having saved enough money at the age of twenty.

The two Nanas meet on a train by chance, both on their way to Tokyo. After a string of coincidences, they come to live together in an apartment numbered 707 (nana means "seven" in Japanese). Despite having contrasting personalities and ideals, the Nanas like and respect each other a great deal.

Nana Osaki gives Nana Komatsu the nickname Hachi (after Hachikō, because she is weak-willed and has characteristics that resemble a puppy, and also as a joke since hachi means "eight" and nana means "seven" in Japanese).

While BLAST begins to gain popularity at live gigs, the two Nanas face many other issues together, especially in the areas of friendship and romance. The story of Nana revolves heavily around the romance and relationships of the two characters as one seeks fame and recognition while the other seeks love and happiness.

Damn, that's a long synopsis... So... Err... After reading that, seems like my assumption was about 1/8th correct? I was assuming it would be about their musical experiences, but it was a bit off. It seems to be more about love/happiness while one is in a band and stawf.

Yeah, I haven't seen "Nana" yet. I first thought it was yuri, but it is basically a "we girls need to stick together" show, but I understand music is a big part of the plot
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
brad12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:03 am Reply with quote
I like The Story of Little Goddess Roly-Poly Pollon.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:05 am Reply with quote
Off the top of my head, I've seen:

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad-This a fantastic anime about bored teenager who discovers the guitar and music in general. He joins a band and the anime is basically about the band's road to success as well as the member's lives and there's even a pretty good romance.

White Album-Well, this is more like a harem/drama series with some music elements. Good music actually with Nana Mizuki and Aya Hirano as two of the cast members. It follows a college student who's girlfriend is a rising idol singer. He goes through a troubled period of his life which prevent him from seeing her and makes a lot of mistakes. spoiler[Personally, I kinda felt like if this guy were a real person I would have totally kicked his ass for being an insensitive unfaithful jerk.]

The Macross franchise is also very musical despite the fact that they're mecha series. Music plays a larg part in the plot.
chachaboru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:14 am Reply with quote
k-on and k-on season 2!!
their songs are really awesome
there are cute songs and cool songs!
Nokcha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Aria is the best when you feel like relaxing and listening to some calm music.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2