• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shiki Episodes 12-22 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
The show doesn't show Natsuno saving the siblings, but the manga shows Natsuno saving the female sibling when she collapses. I think it's implied that Natsuno saves the male sibling (through his speech with Tatsumi in around Ep 16?)

About the fire, spoiler[Muroi apparently became a Jinrou, so we can assume he used his new-found superhuman strength to get out.] And if he needed spoiler[blood, he could have gotten it from the giant big guy he killed.]

I think the adaption probably left out necessary information, but I can't tell since I haven't read the novel. But if the BD/DVD does have the 2 extra episodes, then those two might give out the information we missed.
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
blood-

It's rare for me to side with dtm42 on anything, but I'm with him on this one. I feel nothing for the Shiki - screw them. To condemn a sentient being to become a Shiki is far worse than murdering or torturing them. To turn somebody into something that will then prey on its own surviving family - using the familial bonds to lead those victims to slaughter is more reprehensible than murder or torture. Even within the show's own internal logic is was obvious that Shikis didn't NEED to turn humans into Shikis to survive. They did so (and yes, I realize the turning wasn't automatic, but that doesn't lessen their culpability) as part of their insane and unattainable desire to have a village of their own. I can completely understand why the villagers would have been driven to do what they did. There is no moral equivalency here and anybody who claims there is, is simply being dense.

Like I said, I am not taking one side over another. Killing the Shiki? Sure, I'm all for it. It really doesn't matter if you care for the Shiki or not. That is not what I'm saying.

What I am not all for is people using the "sentience" argument as the reason for why the Shiki were wrong, and then being totally cool for a sentient being to torture other sentient beings. Its utterly ridiculous. Let's not even talk about how hypocritical it is. Let's condemn killing! But but but, the pointless torture is fine!

If you want to kill the Shiki and use the "sentient being" argument you can do so all day, I won't raise a finger. Go ahead and cut their heads off and stake their hearts. But doing anything else is where the line is crossed and you become worse than the sentient beings you condemn (and the Shiki are obviously also sentient).

The ONLY time anyone could ever justify torture is if it's for information extraction or as an example. Doing it for anything else is beyond pointless and makes you the worst kind of scum. And the torture pushed on the Shiki were for neither of those reasons.

Quote:
as part of their insane and unattainable desire to have a village of their own.

Why is this insane? Like the reviewer stated, wanting a place of your own to live and feed is an extremely modest desire. People have done worse than over and over and over again throughout history for less important things than this. Lets not even mention what atrocities humans HAVE done for land. The Shiki look tame in comparison.

Last edited by ~~EpiC~~ on Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I think you are exaggerating the so-called "torture" the Shiki went through. The villagers were dealing with an absolutely mystifying and terrifying threat - overkill is understandable. To stand there and tut-tut that, given the circumstances they found themselves in, the villagers neglected to seek out the most humane way to get rid of the Shiki is just a lot of bollocks, frankly.
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh, added a part that I forgot to in the last post.

Quote:
Eh, I think you are exaggerating the so-called "torture" the Shiki went through. The villagers were dealing with an absolutely mystifying and terrifying threat - overkill is understandable. To stand there and tut-tut that, given the circumstances they found themselves in, the villagers neglected to seek out the most humane way to get rid of the Shiki is just a lot of bollocks, frankly.

I don't think I'm exaggerating it much. It was solidly expressed that a steak through the heart 100% kills them by the Doctor himself. He gave them proof.

Dragging them out in the sunlight and letting them writhe around a while, as just one example, is blatant torture. It's like cutting off a human's (who is under the effects of a tranquilizer btw) arms slowly, before shooting him in the head. They wanted to draw out the pain of the Shiki, and they did it very very purposefully.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Why should the villagers believe that a stake through the heart is 100% effective just because the doctor said so? It's not like he is some kind of massive expert on the basis of experimentation with one Shiki. Putting myself in a situation like that, I'd be much more certain of their demise by seeing their bodies turned to ash, thank you very much.

My point of view goes back to the fact that I can completely understand why the humans acted they way they did. You can deplore their excesses, but their response was by no means off the charts, in my opinion. I can't say the same for the Shiki. The plan to have a village of their own was just nuts. Even in a remote, isolated location, did they REALLY imagine they could have a Shikiville and nobody would notice? Logic dictates that creatures with their predilection keep as low a profile as possible. Morons.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Humans definitely went quite crazy with the killing in the latter episodes. I think the transition point for the bloodlust was when they massacred that brainwashed human (who was not a shiki).

Once they did that, their bloodlust was pretty much unstoppable.
Toomuchanimetoolittletime

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I am posting this here because I don't know where else to post this. I did not watch this streaming and am commenting on the series that I obtained on DVD/Blu-ray. That is why this comment is so late.
This concerns the nature of the Shiki. During the story arc where Todd Haberkorn's character (Masao) awakens as a vampire, there is quite a bit of dialog concerning his ability to talk while not breathing. Yet later on there is a series of scenes where Tia Ballard's character (Megumi) is running to get to Jerry Jewel's character (Natsuno). For someone who doesn't breathe she sure pants a lot. Obviously the panting was either directed to be included, or overlooked. I was wondering if anyone else caught this.
Not to mention that I think that it would have been more creepy to have Megumi putting forth that kind of effort and not seeming exhausted. Would tend to make her less human, more monster.
By the way, unless I missed it, Jerry Jewel's name is not listed in the credits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3