• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wreck-It Ralph Beats Ghibli's Poppy Hill in Annies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:55 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

The other entries have no chance.

What, not even Rise of the Guardians? Wink

Seriously, though, the only thing Brave deserves to win is Best Hairstyling, and you can't have that without Best Make-Up so.

TitanXL wrote:
Cars seems to be the only Pixar movie that's socially acceptable to not like and still keep your critic badge.

It's my deepest wish that this list will be expanded with the release of Monsters University.
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:56 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Awards always seem more like politics than anything else.

Yes. Glad to see someone sees beyond the facade.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:57 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
American films winning American awards? Next you'll tell me the rain is wet and dogs bark. Laughing

Don't worry though, Poppy Hill won the Tokyo Anime Award. Wink It got the proper recognition in it's home country.

American film won an American award? "Well, obviously that's just a result of pro-American bias!"

Anime film won a Japanese award? "There you go! It got the recognition it deserves!"

You guys are just precious. Laughing
BonusStage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:21 am Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
I smell angry fanboys up in here.

Ones that apparently didn't even see Wreck-It Ralph.

Honestly. What the hell is up with the anti-American attitude up in here? Now, I'm not one to get choked up over red-white-&-blue either, but there seems to this whole stigma of anything American-produced here. Like, Japan > All.

It's awful and obnoxious.

Sad If you're referring to me I've seen it I just felt it was just another family movie by Disney and nothing special. I liked the themes in Poppy Hill more and it felt fresher and more like a serious work of animation.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:35 am Reply with quote
There was no surprise here. Japan got its one token award for Spirited Away (which I personally do not believe to be Miyazaki's finest work) and should be satisfied with that for eternity or the end of the world which ever comes first. I mean even noms, the list grows to a robust two with Howl's being nominated in 2005, and thats an adaptation of a British work.

I do think its reasonable to expect homers to win generally in a respective countries award show, though that does little to legitimize those respective shows.

From US animated works this year I saw paranorman and hotel Transylvania. I liked both of them. And for the record so I dont get called anti american, I think Nightmare Before Christmas and Coraline are fantastic movies on par with some of the stronger Japanese titles (as are Incredibles, Wall E, and HOTYD). Although I guess you can me anti French, I thought Illusionist was one of the biggest pieces of garbage ever made.

One last thing, found the Annie wiki entry interesting; among criticism are flawed voting that led to Kung Fu Panda beating Wall E, lack of anime titles, and others. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_Awards
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:50 am Reply with quote
Let me remind again that the Annies are voted by animators.

Also, any eligible project can be submitted for possible nomination by members - and anybody could become a member, including all of ya guys here. But you have to get the project producers to sign on plus send in the necessary paperworks - good luck trying to get that from anime companies who may not give the time. So if ya guys and the anime companies want to have a say, you can (unlike other Awards).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:00 am Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:

Sad If you're referring to me I've seen it I just felt it was just another family movie by Disney and nothing special. I liked the themes in Poppy Hill more and it felt fresher and more like a serious work of animation.

The fact that you're treating "family movie" like a dirty word makes it impossible to take you seriously.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:08 am Reply with quote
sigh....as if it wasn't obvious enough already. The Annies judge animation about as accurately as an FPS fan can review an RTS game.

Even ignoring the ridiculous this ridiculous result, just remember that this is the same awards where Kung-Fu Panda beat Wall-E.

That alone should tell you all you need to know about the Annies. It has nothing to do with quality of the work and there's obviously something happening behind the scenes.

Just think about it a little. Rolling Eyes

(yes, I still can't believe Wall-E lost to the panda movie)

Last edited by Gon*Gon on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:10 am Reply with quote
I often find myself thinking that American award programs are too provincial and short-sighted, but then I read some of you people and such thoughts suddenly feel unclean.

Artistic merit may not have been truly at issue for the Annie Awards, but I doubt that it is any more so here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:07 am Reply with quote
a bunch of guys got together and said that one movie is better than another RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

You know these awards dont mean much of anything, not even stuff like the oscars. They only mean anything if you let em mean anything.

And i enjoyed wreck it ralph but more so as a gamer than anything else
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
I smell angry fanboys up in here.

Ones that apparently didn't even see Wreck-It Ralph.

Honestly. What the hell is up with the anti-American attitude up in here? Now, I'm not one to get choked up over red-white-&-blue either, but there seems to this whole stigma of anything American-produced here. Like, Japan > All.

It's awful and obnoxious.

There's no anti anti-American attitude here but in other countries American movies win awards just as fairly as their counterparts. In fact Pixar movies won a lot of awards in JP at the same time studios like Ghibli win awards too. It's just sad to see very few to none foreign film not winning because of American sensibility.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Japanese films are overlooked a lot by these American film award organizations. But still, while Poppy Hill was good I don't think it was soooo good to where we could really say it deserved to beat out Wreck-It Ralph. I can however definitely see why Spirited Away on the other hand did win awards here, it's still my favorite Ghibli/Miyazaki film along with Princess Mononoke.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, no matter what I or ikillchicken have to say, some of you guys just aren't very big on the whole rational thinking thing.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
Apparently, no matter what I or ikillchicken have to say, some of you guys just aren't very big on the whole rational thinking thing.

In regards to what? We have our opinions, and objectivity doesn't exist in reviews, ratings, or awards.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
The fact that you're treating "family movie" like a dirty word makes it impossible to take you seriously.

>_> It kind of is when Ghibli stuff is considered "family movies" but does things Disney and Pixar can only dream about. Those companies seem stuck in the sandbox, while other companies are off playing outside the box. To me, awards should be recognizing feats in their field, so movies which use animation for more than by the numbers pop-culture filled kids movies voiced by Hollywood celebrities would deserve them more.

PrecisionCrab wrote:

Not agreeing with you =\= irrational thinking. =P
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4