• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wreck-It Ralph Beats Ghibli's Poppy Hill in Annies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
I smell angry fanboys up in here.

Ones that apparently didn't even see Wreck-It Ralph.

Honestly. What the hell is up with the anti-American attitude up in here? Now, I'm not one to get choked up over red-white-&-blue either, but there seems to this whole stigma of anything American-produced here. Like, Japan > All.

It's awful and obnoxious.

PrecisionCrab wrote:
Apparently, no matter what I or ikillchicken have to say, some of you guys just aren't very big on the whole rational thinking thing.

I could say the same for Hollywood remake of Asian films, when Hollywood remake a Japanese films (or any Asian films) there's going to be backlash and hate all over it. But when it's Asia or Japan remaking American films, the same people either stay silent or praise Asia for doing it (they go far as bashing the original American film that the remake was based on) like I never seen any hate or complaint when Japan has announced the remake of Unforgiven. Japan, China/HK, and Korea has been remaking American films and I don't see any major criticism from the same group of people that bash Hollywood. Well, if Hong Kong ended up remaking Heat with Johnnie To directing the film (Johnnie To is HK's Michael Mann), I bet nobody will complain. So you are sort on the right track, but there's no pro-Japanese/pro-Asian bias when it comes to Wreck it Ralph vs Poppy Hill, but when you point out film remake, yeah that's a different story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

Even ignoring the ridiculous this ridiculous result, just remember that this is the same awards where Kung-Fu Panda beat Wall-E.

I like Wall-E a lot better too, but dude, it happened that one time --and Disney had a hissy-fit over it that resulted in an even worse outcome-- so just get over it. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

(Meanwhile, the caretakers of kung-fu the Chinese would have had an opposite view of us, where it's such a mega hit that "Kung Fu Panda prompts Soul-Searching in China" -- that's so incongruous it's kinda like if Memoirs of a Geisha would had resulted in a soul-searching in Japan. But it just shows it's not so far-fetched depending on the audience.)

Crispy45 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
The fact that you're treating "family movie" like a dirty word makes it impossible to take you seriously.

>_> It kind of is when Ghibli stuff is considered "family movies" but does things Disney and Pixar can only dream about. Those companies seem stuck in the sandbox, while other companies are off playing outside the box.

Pixar can be quite good, as good as Ghibli. The above-mentioned Wall-E (especially the first 40 min) and Toy Story that's the rare trilogy where the next movie is actually better than the previous one. Remember, Pixar helped turn the stubborn Hayao Miyazaki around regarding his views on 3DCG. Meanwhile, WBA made the under-appreciated Iron Giant.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
All I plan to say is I find it very......sad that anytime an American animated movie beats an Anime, especially High Lord Emperor Mitazaki and his Ghibli army, people act like it's just America voting for America and get this martyr complex going. Pixar and Dreamworks in the past decade have made some truly well animated movies. Obviously the style is different from anime but that does not change the fact that they are more often than not very well made. Now plots/story and characers are a different issue entirely. But the target audiences for Pixar/Dreamworks movies and many Anime movies are also different. I personally think Wreck it Ralph was well animated and well done in terms of story and characters. Much more so than Brave. I would also say the same for Paranorman being well done. Either one of them I think are easily a better contender for best animated movie compared to Poppy Hill. As long as Brave doesn't win I'm happy. And an FYI I AM Scottish & Irish and I still hope Brave does not win anything.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
While I am slightly dissapointed in Ghibli not winning again, let me just go on and say that Wreck it Ralph has been the best Non Pixar Disney Movie since Princess and the Frog. Congrats Wreck it Ralph, can't wait to buy it on DVD and good luck next year Studio Ghibli and I can't wait to see you in theaters! Very Happy
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
>_> It kind of is when Ghibli stuff is considered "family movies" but does things Disney and Pixar can only dream about. Those companies seem stuck in the sandbox, while other companies are off playing outside the box.

Wait, did you just say Pixar is stuck in the sandbox? Wow. Just wow. Sure, not all of their movies have been completely groundbreaking but you are doing them a huge disservice here.

Of course, I've always vastly preferred Pixar movies to Ghibli movies (I also enjoy Disney more than Ghibli, for that matter). Give me Up any day.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
The fact that you're treating "family movie" like a dirty word makes it impossible to take you seriously.

Sorry, let me clarify my point Sad

Disney and Pixar tend to bend whatever story they're adapting and telling to make it kid friendly, Disney's adaptions of fairy tales really undermine a lot of the original story's works. Their movies can't have any themes a 8 year old wouldn't like/understand, which is why you have a musical number every 5 minutes in a Disney film and there's always a happy ending, because they never takes risks with their storytelling, Most of us in the west grew up with Disney and Pixar, so there's a large bias there of course, but once you've been exposed to other types of animation and if you actually look at it objectively, their movies really aren't that great in comparison.

You look at Ghibli on the other hand, their very first work as a studio, Nausicaa had themes in it Disney/Pixar never or will never touch. Within the first minutes of the movie we're told humanity failed as a race and these huge warriors of God decided humanity didn't deserve to survive so they irradiated the world, and condemned what remained of humanity to tiny patches of land which are constantly encroached upon by a toxic jungle which will kill you in seconds without a mask. Humanity is thrown against one another for survival, and then we have an invading army attack a peaceful town, kill Nausicaa's father in cold blood, and have her mentally break down and kill a platoon of armed guards in retaliation before she's stopped and has to deal with the guilt and trauma of her father's death and actions. That's within the first 30 minutes, touching upon themes Disney and Pixar haven't even thought were possible in animated movies aimed at children. Their movies can be ambiguous with no clear notion that things will turn out alright in the end.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
once you've been exposed to other types of animation and if you actually look at it objectively, their movies really aren't that great in comparison.

Nope, not even remotely true. This is entirely your subjective opinion. In contrast, I personally enjoy a number of them more now than I did when I was younger.

Not to say that you don't have any valid points and you are certainly better at expressing them than some others. But there isn't anything that objectively makes the best of Ghibli superior to the best of Disney/Pixar.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Why does one have to be better than the other? they are both masters of the particular types of animation they employ and talented story tellers.

More to the point this wasnt really about who is better, it was about movies winning awards and as I said earlier those awards only hold as much clout as you bestow upon them.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I'll take the Toy Story trilogy over a Ghibli film any day.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
^ here, here. I've never been so satisfied by as set of movies than I've been by just those 3. Pretty much any reputable film maker/writer should take note on the toy story movies on how to do a trilogy right. As for Ghibli, as much as I've enjoyed their movies I feel like people are putting them on this untouchable pedestal. Most of my favorite movies from them have been from 2000 and prior, nothing they've done recently has been all that fantastic imo (although I've yet to see Poppy Hill). I mean honestly, Ponyo felt pretty bottom of the barrel for them and I remember being super upset that Ghibli could make something so underwhelming.
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
people act like it's just America voting for America and get this martyr complex going.

USA voting for USA

Corrected there.

This is the kind of thinking that fuels....some of the "attacks" USA people feel toward their country...
Crispy45

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Wait, did you just say Pixar is stuck in the sandbox? Wow. Just wow. Sure, not all of their movies have been completely groundbreaking but you are doing them a huge disservice here.

>_> Wellll... actually I stole that quote from a New York Times review of Paprika, but I agree with them. They seem stuck in their ways, while Japanese companies can make lots of different stuff for kids. One Piece Z, Evangelion 3.0, Naruto Road to Ninja just to same some recent kids movies... they sound mundane in Japan since Japan makes a lot of those kinds of movies, but here they'd be all unique and revolutionary. It was a big deal when the Simpsons got one movie, but Shin-chan's got like 20 under its belt. x_x And the ones I've seen blow away the Simpsons movie at that. Japan seems like the masters of animated movies with the quantity and quality they put out every year. And in 2D animation too, not CGI.

And Pixar seems like huge hypocrites these days. They bashed Disney for turning out cheap sequels then they got the greed in their eyes and made Toy Story 2 and 3, Monsters Inc 2, Finding Nemo 2, Cars 2, and probably more sequels in the future. >_> And they toted Brave as some revolutionary leap for females in animated movies then it turns out to be another Disney princess flick... meanwhile Japan's done female leads since the 70s. They just seem way too behind on the times.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

And Pixar seems like huge hypocrites these days. They bashed Disney for turning out cheap sequels then they got the greed in their eyes and made Toy Story 2 and 3, Monsters Inc 2, Finding Nemo 2, Cars 2, and probably more sequels in the future.

I'll give you Cars 2 and obviously I can't say anything about Monsters U yet, but Toy Story 2 and 3 are far, FAR from 'cheap sequels' with each one surpassing the last, and there was clearly a buttload of work and heart put into them. You can't call them hypocrites [At least with that part of the argument] when they did such an amazing job with those.

This thread though... being disappointed that Poppy Hill didn't win is fine, not liking Wreck-It Ralph and thinking it's a bad movie is fine, but can we please not act like there's some fantastic racism just because you're preferred movie didn't win? Ralph is a wonderful movie and was one of the most successful animated movies in America this year. It may not tackle the same themes as overseas movies but that doesn't make it bad by any means.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
It kind of is when Ghibli stuff is considered "family movies" but does things Disney and Pixar can only dream about.

Such as? What specifically does Ghibli do that Pixar can only dream about?

Quote:
by the numbers

An old school arcade game villain decides he wants to be the hero instead and sets off in search of a different game where he can.

"Lol! How cliche!"

An elderly widower, struggling with depression and loneliness decides to fly his house to South America using balloons in order to go on the vacation he always meant to with his wife.

"Who hasn't seen that before!"

All children's toys are secretly alive! A Cowboy toy feels insecure as he is replaced with a cool new Space toy.

"Ug. How about something original."

Quote:
kids movies

It speaks to your hypocrisy that you'll admit Ghibli also makes "kids movies" but still tack it on as a criticism when talking about western animation.

Quote:
voiced by Hollywood celebrities would deserve them more.

This whole "OMG! They use world renowned professional actors for voicework" has got to be one of the more comical criticisms people put forth.

Quote:
Not agreeing with you =\= irrational thinking. =P

No...your observable, systematic bias against anything western makes you irrational.

Quote:
They bashed Disney for turning out cheap sequels then they got the greed in their eyes and made Toy Story 2 and 3, Monsters Inc 2, Finding Nemo 2, Cars 2, and probably more sequels in the future.

Quote:
It was a big deal when the Simpsons got one movie, but Shin-chan's got like 20 under its belt.

Again, absurd hypocrisy. When Japan pumps out like 20 sequels to a single franchise they're "masters of animated movies with the quantity and quality they put out every year". When Pixar puts out a whopping 5 sequels across four different franchises they're "greedily turning out cheap sequels". What a joke.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I could say the same for Hollywood remake of Asian films, when Hollywood remake a Japanese films (or any Asian films) there's going to be backlash and hate all over it.

No, you really can't say the same, because as far as that "exchange" goes, it's almost entirely exclusive to Westers and Samurai films. No one complains about either because those two genres are insanely interchangeable.

That said, the reason why people get rile up over stuff like The Ring is because, I dunno, it's a really crappy movie? Ever thunked that one?

This, however, is nothing but stupid ass cinematic xenophobia. I hate the word, but it perfectly applies to some people here: Weaboo. Automatically dismissive of anything not from Japan, automatically worshopping anything from Japan.

All forms of medium need to be approached with a critical eye, and not a cultural one if they are to be evaluated properly. The moment one makes one's intentions clear that they're going to be culturally biased from the get-go, the opinion is worth piss.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4