• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Air (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
jaybug39 wrote:
Wait, let me get this straight, you expected substance from a series named air?

Do they call fans of same, Air Heads? Very Happy

You obviously haven't seen the series. There are aquite a lot of fans of this series including me so I would mind if you didn't diss up an anime you haven't seen. Watch something of it before you judge it.

Also @ cheezisgoooood you may not like it but I for one didn't find it confusing. Try taking time to understand and appreciate a story. Obviously anime like that aren't to your tastes. Besides if you want an anime with useless plot elements than take Mobile Suit Gundam SEED for instance. That anime if full of them Rolling Eyes

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90

Oh, I understood Air perfectly. I read through that whole thread that one guy linked to, and I didn't find anythign I didn't already know from watching the series in the first place. It's not like I ever thought I wasn't able to understand it.

Now, read my post again, and you will see I never said I didn't understand the show.

You have no idea what kind of anime I'm interested in, as you clearly would know that I'm into anime that makes you think above all other genres if you did. Anime that makes you think about things and isn't all that evident in its plot is my favorite kind of anime. Also, I have never seen a single episode of any Gundam series in my life. Understand? Stop jumping to irrational conclusions.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Pro wrestling is real! Shocked

Someone needs to lighten up a little.

Sorry you weren't able to discern between poking a little fun at a title and serious dissing. Think on it, what is a useless git? And what anime goes by GITS? And if you really loved the show wouldn't you want to take pride in being a fan by calling yourself an Air head?

But if you like, I'll watch it, and then shred it, even if it's a good anime. Nitpicking can be a very fine art. What do you think movie critics do all day?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:25 pm Reply with quote
jaybug39 wrote:
And if you really loved the show wouldn't you want to take pride in being a fan by calling yourself an Air head?

We call ourselves kagikko (鍵っ子). Period.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dgreater1

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
cheezisgoooood wrote:

Alright, then, here's a clue for ya:

Air sucks anus, and it's full of dangling plot elements and overall uselessness as a story.

This comment is a bit harsh, I don't mind if you don't like the show but that comment sounds like it came from someone who hasn't experienced the saddest part of their life.

jaybug39 wrote:

And if you really loved the show wouldn't you want to take pride in being a fan by calling yourself an Air head?

I wouldn't call myself an Air Head because that sounds like an insult (though many Air fan call themselve Air Heads too )... as dormcat stated, I'm a Key child or an Air Fan Laughing

I won't reply anymore, I don't like trolling Cool
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
dgreater1 wrote:
that comment sounds like it came from someone who hasn't experienced the saddest part of their life.

Where did that come from? The magical flying monkey of topical irrelevance?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
cheezisgoooood wrote:
dgreater1 wrote:
that comment sounds like it came from someone who hasn't experienced the saddest part of their life.

Where did that come from? The magical flying monkey of topical irrelevance?

The real question is why is something so completely depressing considered good? I guess I just don't understand some people's tastes in storytelling. A sad ending is fine but Air is way beyond sad. Granted I've only seen the film but I just see absolutely no point in spoiler[movies or series about relationships that spend time building them up only to render the whole series pointless with a tragedy.]
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Granted I've only seen the film but I just see absolutely no point in spoiler[movies or series about relationships that spend time building them up only to render the whole series pointless with a tragedy.]

And that's what I meant by uselessness as a story.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Having a sad or unhappy ending is not pointless at all. If every story worked out then storytelling itself would be boring and mundane. Life doesn't always work out. Personally I think if a story evokes some level emotion out of you then it's good. Air packed an emotional punch that struck chords with a lot of viewers (including myself), and I think it speaks volumes for a series when it can do that. If the best reason for disliking a series is because the ending is sad, not to minimize your opinion but I can't really take much stock in it.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I haven't seen Air yet, it isn't in the Netfllix catalog, there may be one video store in the area that may have it, but I dunno about that.

But, is Air something like an anime version of a Jane Austen novel? I have seen a couple of those. If so, or if it is anime tragedy in the ancient greek sense, I may understand it. I don't know about be all gushy about it, I never felt good about really sad movies. They hurt too much when I was a little kid. Especially if the beautiful woman died at the end. I'll never forget an old black and white movie about the queen of Brittania and the romans.

But I wonder if GOL had the same problem with Air, as I had with Last Exile, the big huh factor. That's what replay is all about though eh?
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:19 am Reply with quote
jaybug39 wrote:
Ok, I haven't seen Air yet, it isn't in the Netfllix catalog, there may be one video store in the area that may have it, but I dunno about that.

But, is Air something like an anime version of a Jane Austen novel? I have seen a couple of those. If so, or if it is anime tragedy in the ancient greek sense, I may understand it. I don't know about be all gushy about it, I never felt good about really sad movies. They hurt too much when I was a little kid. Especially if the beautiful woman died at the end. I'll never forget an old black and white movie about the queen of Brittania and the romans.

But I wonder if GOL had the same problem with Air, as I had with Last Exile, the big huh factor. That's what replay is all about though eh?

1. Air hasn't been licensed.
2. Everyone has seen it via fansub and/or bootleg (if people know places to find it)
3. Air is based off an h-game in japan and follows only 1 story arc of the game if I remember correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:40 am Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:

In North America, that is.

IchigoK90 wrote:
2. Everyone has seen it via fansub and/or bootleg (if people know places to find it)

I have these, and some friends of mine have these.

IchigoK90 wrote:
3. Air is based off an h-game in japan and follows only 1 story arc of the game if I remember correctly.

It managed to cover all three arcs (Dream, Summer, and Air) within 12 episodes pretty well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:02 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
IchigoK90 wrote:

In North America, that is.

IchigoK90 wrote:

IchigoK90 wrote:

It managed to cover all three arcs (Dream, Summer, and Air) within 12 episodes pretty well.

Sorry about that. Forgot about R2, since I live in NA I tend to forget about those. About the last thing I thought it was only the last arc that they covered.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Gauss

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:33 pm Reply with quote
AIR is nothing like Jane Austen since her novels actually have happy endings. I suspect some confusion with the Brontë sisters but even their unhappy tales are different from AIR.

As a tragedy AIR is unusual in that Misuzu is an innocent figure. Conventional tragic figures are characters that are guilty of some wrong for which they have to pay a price (even if by association, such as Kanna when she shoulders her mother's burden). If we sympathise with such characters then the impact of their punishment will be all the greater. This means character development is definitely not pointless in tragedies, even when everybody dies like in Hamlet (and to thoroughly spoil the play I'll add that it wot the butler that done it!). However, since Misuzu is an innocent character, and as there's no apparent resolution visavi the cause of her condition, then it's perhaps not so odd that some people think of the ending in AIR as particularly pointless. But I've never been a stickler for adhering to classical rules so to me AIR worked more than well enough as a tearjerker.
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, sorry if I don't agree with anybody. All I'm saying is Air reminds me of what it would be like if Trigun was only half as long because Vash The Stampede suddenly died while everything was still on the verge of being revealed about where he came from.
treatment

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
[quote="dormcat"]
IchigoK90 wrote:

IchigoK90 wrote:

I have these. Razz

---

cheezisgoooood wrote:
Well, sorry if I don't agree with anybody. All I'm saying is Air reminds me of what it would be like if Trigun was only half as long because Vash The Stampede suddenly died while everything was still on the verge of being revealed about where he came from.

Since I'm a Trigun-fan as well, that Trigun-reminder/comparison of yours really doesn't make any sense at all against Air. It's totally mindboggling to even begin to consider.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7