• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Tokimeki Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:

I was using one of these until 2009. I only replaced it because I couldn't find a new battery for it. I still have it as a backup phone in case my iPhone breaks. Best phone I've ever owned.

Back on topic, this show sounds awesome. 80's comedy is right up my alley. Looking forward to more of this column. I've missed Justin's writing.

I've got an LG Cosmos slider phone. I've only had it for a little over a year and I'm already looking to upgrade to a smartphone. The only problem besides a lack of funds and not knowing which phone I should get. I don't want an iPhone, but I don't want to pay too much money nor do I want a smartphone that'll die on me in a few weeks to a month.

Flip phones are still so over that it's not even funny. I'd rather see John Cena use the same five moves over and over again with one hand tied behind his back while dressed as a little Dutch girl than downgrade to a flip phone.

Back on topic, I have a copy of Jiburiru which I got from a coworker years ago. Still never watched it. There's plenty of other anime I've still never watched but I'm not going to list them all.
I just haven't been into anime as much as I once was and thus haven't wanted to watch anything in the old backlog. I still come on here (Obviously) and I still go on Crunchyroll. I don't have to order any food but I can still read the menu.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote

Is that Krillin making a cameo, in drag?

Nice column. The longer this one lasts, the bigger of an anime hoarder it shows you to be. These old shows from Buried Treasure and the ones you'll review in the future are like a sanctuary of moral justification for fansub usage: this sh*t can't be found anywhere in physical form.

I only own a smartphone for internet usage, other than that, I couldn't care less who I impress by my phone not flipping open.
DTJB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
First of all, I've seen every show I've ever bought because I never went on mass anime shopping splurges. Moderation.

Secondly, I really like the whole concept; grabbing something and you're not sure what you'll find. Seems like a fun retro show by the way.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
That backlog looks somewhat similar to mine (in quantity anyways). Embarassed
I enjoyed the article Justin. Looking forward to future ones.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
Mizuiro Jidai/The Blue Green Years ... I'd love to see that show up in your column. It is an old favorite of mine, and it is slowly nearing completion by another fansubber in DVD quality.

That's such a sweet, gentle little show, and well-written to boot. Nice to know there are other fans of it out there.

jsevakis wrote:
That sounds pretty cool! DO IIIIIT! I expect a full report by next column!

Yes, sir! This is just the excuse I needed Smile
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:40 am Reply with quote
Great article, looking forward to more obscure garbage, treasure, and everything in between.

There are several obstacles for fansubbers when it comes to working on older series. As samuelp has pointed out elsewhere, low audio fidelity on those discs or raws can make it harder to hear and translate accurately. Older shows may also use dated slang, which can be hard to parse unless you have access to someone who lived in Japan during that era. And one chief obstacle is motivation -- broadly speaking, barely anybody cares about obscure older anime, so you don't see the kind of recognition, discussion, or "buzz" that motivates (or motivated) translators of currently-airing anime. Older Magical Girl shows have these effects amplified, as even modern Magical Girl anime have endured long subbing pauses and delays. Every Pretty Cure series before Heartcatch (except the first, at 11 months) had or will have multi-year gaps between final-episode airdates and completion of subs. And that's for the highest-profile Magical Girl franchise around.

Quote:
Why the hell do anime directors and mangaka keep using these tired tropes? They don't work! They're holding the medium back!
Maybe they don't work for you, but obsessive otaku who actually buy discs and merchandise support those shows well enough.

And in the world of cellphones... I'm not sure of the exact model, but from December 2004 to June 2011, I used a "candybar"-style phone that was likely either a Nokia 3100 or Nokia 3120. It wasn't remotely "smart," but it held a charge for over a week, took plenty of abuse, made phone calls, sent a few texts, and was occasionally useful for calculator or other purposes. I've rarely missed not having a smart phone because I've rarely felt the need for one. GPS? it's called "knowing how to use a paper map and having a sense of direction."

Rather than "clinging to old technology," I prefer to think of it as "using useful items until it's used up," rather than spending tons of money to stay "with the times" and buying the latest iPhone5MD (MD meaning "Marginally different") just because the calendar says it's some arbitrary year.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
And in the world of cellphones... I'm not sure of the exact model, but from December 2004 to June 2011, I used a "candybar"-style phone that was likely either a Nokia 3100 or Nokia 3120. It wasn't remotely "smart," but it held a charge for over a week, took plenty of abuse, made phone calls, sent a few texts, and was occasionally useful for calculator or other purposes. I've rarely missed not having a smart phone because I've rarely felt the need for one. GPS? it's called "knowing how to use a paper map and having a sense of direction."

Used to have a Nokia 3310. Used it till it broke after 10 years or so.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:27 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

vanfanel wrote:
You're making me want to dive into my own backlog too. Actually, how's this for an idea: what if we all try to watch something from our backlogs during the next two weeks and tell what we watched in the comments next time (in addition to commenting on the article, of course)? The day a new column is posted could be Backlog Reduction Day!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I already have enough titles in the queue to keep me busy for quite some time, but some of those (Happy Birthday, Momoko) sound like good bets for down the road. (And Escaflowne??? REALLY??? What am I, a newbie?)

I'm definitely on this. Time to get down with some of that stuff I've been meaning to watch.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

Used to have a Nokia 3310. Used it till it broke after 10 years or so.

Same. Actually until this summer. Had to get an alternative as it started to shutdown when trying to call or answer, even on full charge with new batteries. Though I still have it, at least it still works for text messages, and as an alarm clock...

On the other hand, the 'alternative' I got was SG III...
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say, I'm liking this new column. I ADORED your Buried Treasure/Garbage column (I recently did an archive binge on it; oh, the memories~), and this looks to be another winner in my book.

I as well have a number of anime in my DVD backlog that's looking for attention (my Signature Series AKIRA DVD reissue from Pioneer, Hana Yori Dango, Angelic Layer), so I might join you in checking some of these titles out sometime. I actually can't believe that I haven't seen AKIRA yet. Razz
inuhime

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I wanna see a review of Urotsukidoji. Interestingly, that was one of the first anime titles I saw, back when anime in the U.S. was still a secret hobby you had to hide from your parents. Suffice to say, my mind was blown.

NO. I worked for CPM, so of course I saw it. And you can't make me sit through that pile of garbage again. YOU CAN'T MAKE ME.

C'mon, it's not THAT bad(at least not the first one).
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I already have enough titles in the queue to keep me busy for quite some time, but some of those (Happy Birthday, Momoko) sound like good bets for down the road. (And Escaflowne??? REALLY??? What am I, a newbie?)

I have yet to watch Escaflowne. It's been on my backlog for years, along with the original version of Hakkenden, and a few others. Embarassed
Oronae

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:18 am Reply with quote
To throw out another show suggestion for the column, how about Kenya Boy/Shounen Keniya?
anime#3644

It's an awesome trainwreck of a movie about children lost in WW2-era Kenya. It has Nazis, dinosaur worshiping tribesmen and giant purple snakes. Also, the film looks like it was really high budget but is also hilariously unfinished in some spots, possibly intentionally. It's hard to tell.

A fansub for it came out a year or two ago. It shouldn't be hard to find.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote
Miss Kalle wrote:

I own this album! I got it more for Yumi Sugimoto's version of 'Catch You Catch Me' than anything else, but I can attest those two remixes are particularly awesome.

Heh, yeah, the whole album is pretty great.

And yeah, I've been in Tokyo since the fall, and I see a lot more people using non-smart phones than in the US. I only personally got one a couple months ago, and it only happened because I'm still on my family's plan, and it wasn't that much more, and I wanted the camera function. I have a pre-paid Soft Bank clamshell thing from last semester that worked pretty alright. You could watch TV on it, even. But if I can get a better camera (basically) for free, I'm taking it.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
Let me be the nth reader to chime in and glad to be reading a Sevakis column again! I really liked this write up. Tokimeki Tonight was a show I remember hearing about from older fans back in the 90s but never something I could get my hands on. The article has inspired me to check it out.

jsevakis wrote:

vanfanel wrote:
You're making me want to dive into my own backlog too. Actually, how's this for an idea: what if we all try to watch something from our backlogs during the next two weeks and tell what we watched in the comments next time (in addition to commenting on the article, of course)? The day a new column is posted could be Backlog Reduction Day!

I was thinking of something along the lines of what vanfanel was, since I have quite a bit of backlog. I think it's great that there's a tentative approval to post something in addition to article comments about working through our own backlogs. Definitely want to get something done in time for the next article. Guess it's just a matter of picking what to watch now!

Clyde_Cash wrote:
crazy about cel phones

This is either an immaculate troll or a truly disturbed individual. If your immediate reaction is "I am not a troll", then seek help - real, professional help.

If you are a troll, I want to see more nit-picking about celphones.

Clyde_Cash wrote:
I'll take a smartphone over a flip phone but if I want to game, I've got a PC. Smartphones can't run the kinds of games I play. "Casual games" such as Angry Birds don't count. Those aren't even real games. They're an insult to us hardcore PC and console gamers.

Also, if not a troll, you are the worst kind of technology fan. You should probably add 'persecution complex' to your list.
Wooga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Why? IT'S A 2010s SERIES; GIVE THE CHARACTERS [expletive] SMARTPHONES! NOBODY OR THEIR DOG USES FLIP PHONES ANYMORE!

hi im posting from the future and i agree with your cell phone rant, but i apply teleporters to this as well

since i am posting from the future, i am constantly bugged when i watch

anime from the 2000s that dont make adequate use of teleportation devices
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8