• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
JRock/JPop Cds in Toronto?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know where I can buy JPop or JRock CDs in Toronto, Canada. I have tried HMV, they have SMILE. 1,000,000 Comix had Japan For Sale Vol.4. AnimeNorth had JPop CD. I will go down to Kiki Wai oneday, but everyone in Chinatown starred at me 'cause I'm white, not in racist connotation. No joke, I swear. Anyways, just wondering if anyone knew anyplace... Also, it CANNOT be an anime soundtrack. Please.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:54 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that you're only looking at US releases, which give you a pretty crappy selection. You're going to have to look for imports. More pricey but a lot more out there. Buying them online is generally the way to go too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Edo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
No offense, but if I wanted to buy online, I would. I'm not stupid. I know I have bought the US releases, they are the only ones I have been able to find. That is why I am asking if anyone knows where I can get other CDs.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
Edo wrote:
No offense, but if I wanted to buy online, I would. I'm not stupid. I know I have bought the US releases, they are the only ones I have been able to find. That is why I am asking if anyone knows where I can get other CDs.

Then good luck, because you're not going to find anything is what I'm saying, that's all. I know you're not dumb, but I'm saying that you're pretty much out of luck. ^_^; I've dug around countless record stores, and never found any legal j-pop/rock releases in a North/South American store, except for US releases. But, one exception - I found an instrumental cd by the guitarist of the Bz's in a Tower records once. If you're still persistant enough to look, Try a really big Virgin Records or Tower records store, but don't expect to find anything, and expect to pay over 27 dollars per cd if you do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Edo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha, I question weather or not you actually live in Toronto. I managed to find an import (non-bootleg) XJapan two disc album down in Chinatown, hahaha, they had a ton of non-bootleg imports for only 8-15 bucks. Not bad at all! They don't care about profit! I also picked up a bootleg of Howl's Moving Castle!
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Edo wrote:
Hahaha, I question weather or not you actually live in Toronto. I managed to find an import (non-bootleg) XJapan two disc album down in Chinatown, hahaha, they had a ton of non-bootleg imports for only 8-15 bucks. Not bad at all! They don't care about profit! I also picked up a bootleg of Howl's Moving Castle!

$8-15? That sounds really fishy to me, especially since it was Chinatown. Are you sure they were import? Most imports should be at least $30ish for a CD album. o_o

I haven't been to Toronto's Chinatown yet, but I have been to San Francisco's, and they have shops with tons of anime & Jpop CDs but they're all bootleg. =/

I'd wait til a con comes around. Anime dazed; I can't remember if I saw any official CDs at Anime North or not though.

Haru to Ashura wrote:
I've dug around countless record stores, and never found any legal j-pop/rock releases in a North/South American store, except for US releases.

o_o; Then go to a Japanese store. I've bought tons of Japanese import CDs at Kinokuniya and Mikado in North America.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1