• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 18 Foot Mech for Sale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caro-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Maybe it's to control the fire--use up all the local flammable material and let the fire suffocate.

That's absolutely right. You basically draw a line of burnt ground around the fire in the hopes that it will reach it, run out of fuel, and quit spreading. It really only works in prairies, though. If the fire is jumping from treetop to treetop, it would do nothing to stop that.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
spider-moose wrote:
I WANT ONE!

Ditto.

Is it possible that the guy who built it just wants to raise more money do build a more advanced version?
Flipnofunk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:

Ditto.

Is it possible that the guy who built it just wants to raise more money do build a more advanced version?

i think that was the reason he's selling the proto type was to build more funds on creating a newer model
Kyuuketsuki_Kurai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't know... Not that long ago, he wasn't going to sell and now he's selling it on eBay? Something seems fishy here...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
shattercone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
He he... I brought this link up in a post a few days ago about animes becoming reality. Talk about self-fulfilling prophecies! Cool

http://www.americanantigravity.com/carlos-owens.shtml

Too bad it didn't sell...
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:43 am Reply with quote
it was kindof obvious that this junkheap wasnt gonna cell for $40k
icepick314

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:08 am Reply with quote
it probably didn't sell because it did not have transforming option...

it should have come with Monsoon audio package as well....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
pakalik

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:08 am Reply with quote
I read a artical a few days ago about him selling it, and it said that he was selling it so he could build another one that be more of a hand to hand combat. It said that he hoped to be able to get a Mech arena thing going, so that people could build them then fight each other.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:22 am Reply with quote
It needed to turn on a dime....Macross Style.
bluechibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:57 am Reply with quote
Wasnt the guy asking $10,000 for delivery? I'm guessing it's because he lives in Alaska but still you might as well pick it up yourself and save thousands.
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:57 am Reply with quote
Or maybe it has something to do with the fact its 18 feet of pure f'in steel? That thing is going to be hell to transport, because I dont think they're gunna wanna tear it down and put it back together. Have you ever built your own 18 foot tall mech right out of the box? I doubt it Anime hyper

From what I saw on the site, it looks like they're actually GIVING this away in a raffle. Everyone who has donated money gets one raffle ticket type thing for every 10 bucks they've given. Get donating! You could get this for 10 bucks O_O
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JHawkNH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Wolfcry wrote:
Or maybe it has something to do with the fact its 18 feet of pure f'in steel? That thing is going to be hell to transport, because I don't think they're gunna wanna tear it down and put it back together. Have you ever built your own 18 foot tall mech right out of the box? I doubt it Anime hyper

From what I saw on the site, it looks like they're actually GIVING this away in a raffle. Everyone who has donated money gets one raffle ticket type thing for every 10 bucks they've given. Get donating! You could get this for 10 bucks O_O

$10 + $10,000 S/H

I doubt that he will ship it for free.
Tamakun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:28 am Reply with quote
Hm, now the raffle's been cancelled, "Due to other possible funding and interest". Maybe someone (or some company) has offered something for research purposes?

*checks website and views videos* Yikes! Is that thing gas-powered? I'd hate to see the bill for just the gas alone...
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:05 am Reply with quote
Tamakun wrote:
Yikes! Is that thing gas-powered? I'd hate to see the bill for just the gas alone...
Gas in my area is about 2.55 USD a gallon. Anime cry We could always have it switched to nuclear power and go to space. Then you can fire those laser beams all you want. Just don't hit the ISS, we don't want any wars breaking out when I'm watching my anime. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Crimsonwolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
For everyone saying its a scam, go back to business 101 and look up how to raise funds, especially for an upstart company way ahead of its time and only appealing to a small demographic (i.e probably only otaku), its not easy. Selling the prototype is a way to rasie funds to run the business long enough to make a newer model and possibly show more promise which might leade to actual investors, if you read the auction/site it also states that whoever buys it will also be buying advertising rights on all future models so he's obviously trying to make it appealing to a business in the field.

The auction was a little sketchy though, he actually ran 2 auctions one had the starting bid at 30k and shipping was only like 5k and when that didn't go very high he relisted it starting at 35k with the 10k shipping.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3