• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Bookstore Chain Borders Files for Bankruptcy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
My two stores were spared thankfully. Techincally with the Borders Express that makes three within the area of home. So I'm still set.

Isn't that Borders in Ann Arbor,MI the first store? I can't remember my streets.

I stopped going to the Borders in Dearborn, MI awhile ago. I didn't enjoy the selection.

The Borders on Orchard Lake Rd in MI closed in January (because the complex wanted too much rent) so that's another store for MI.

*sigh* I hope Borders can hold on. If they close it will be internet only for me because I hate B&N.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Good thing I spent the last of my Borders Gift cards yesterday, as the Borders next to me is on the list and close. Had a feeling this would happen, so it's a good that I came before the store was closed.

I also have a feeling that Borders may also file chapter seven eventually as well. The amount of money they owe is well into the high millions and frankly with all the loses they have encountered the last year or so, I will be shocked if they can actually pay all of it off.

Yet I feel bad for the employees that work at the one I go to or did go to now and days. But if I was any of them, I would have quit as soon as I could and find new work elsewhere.

But like Decepticons2 said, it actually is much easier to buy online than to a store. Especially Amazon, where you can get really good deals and free shipping. Not only that, they really ship the items really well and boxes the items come in are very sturdy as well. Also, I've noticed manga is cheaper on Online stores than Borders in some cases. Plus there is no lines, which is excellent as well.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Well the one near me is closing, but I never bother going there anymore. I limit my B&M purchases to basically food and clothes, and sometimes entertainment if there is a good deal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anime_Rapture

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, they are closing the one on the nice side of Madison, now I have to drive across the city to go there, looks like I will be going to B&N more now. That Borders was good to me, whenever the internet at the apt. went down, it was time for a trip to the book store. Sad

GeorgeC wrote:

(Frankly, I'm surprised BOTH Columbus locations are closing but I guess the holiday was not good at all for both locations or they're really losing money at both. I thought at least one would stay open. The closing of the #2 store -- the neat-looking, distinct one -- is sad.

I am surprised that they would close both locations, but then again, I never knew where they were when I lived around there. Also, neither of them were located close to where I live.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Rapture wrote:
Oh man, they are closing the one on the nice side of Madison, now I have to drive across the city to go there, looks like I will be going to B&N more now. That Borders was good to me, whenever the internet at the apt. went down, it was time for a trip to the book store. Sad

GeorgeC wrote:

(Frankly, I'm surprised BOTH Columbus locations are closing but I guess the holiday was not good at all for both locations or they're really losing money at both. I thought at least one would stay open. The closing of the #2 store -- the neat-looking, distinct one -- is sad.

I am surprised that they would close both locations, but then again, I never knew where they were when I lived around there. Also, neither of them were located close to where I live.

Yeah, you're lucky- you apparently missed my earlier post, Every MKE store is closing, it looks like only that one in Madison and on in Eau Clare survive for all of Wisconsin- apparently no need to keep even a single one open in the states most populous city.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
Two stores near me. Heavily discounted manga Smile

Not really gonna happen. Much.

Liquidation is a funny thing. From past experience, here's whats gonna happen:

And people buy things up before it breaks into true value territory. Most manga worth anything will probably be gone by 30% or 40% which you can do online regularly.

Also, the company handling this is not the same one as the one who had Circuit City and many other famous ones. (Though it was split 4 ways for Circuit City iirc.) They actually lost the bid this time.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I feel really bad for anyone with a store closing near (I dodged both bullets, the one near my house and the one near my college, which has an abnormally good manga selection), but right now I feel most bad for the employees that are clearly gonna get laid off. I mean, not to encourage this, but manga fans can just mooch stuff online and we can sure order stuff online, so we're not totally screwed over here. Some of the employees? They're gonna have a hell of a hard time finding a new job in this economy, but I wish them the best of luck! Some of them are probably manga fans who like to use their nice juicy discount on a regular basis Razz
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Let's face it folks.

Borders never really had a chance because unlike Barnes & Noble, Borders didn't have a large-scale mail-order retail business to fall back on and Borders failed to properly grasp the importance of its own branded name e-book reader.

Don't be surprised that B&N snaps up as much of Borders assets as fast as possible and B&N will try to make an even more aggressive push into e-book distribution to keep themselves relevant. The days of buying manga volumes in e-book form using B&N's potential deals with VIZ and Kodansha could be coming within the next 18-24 months.
RisikaFox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's a lot of money. It's nice to see that they're trying to stay afloat though, as Borders is my go-to place to get pretty much all my books, manga being just a small fraction of that.

Luckily, all the locations in my area, or at least the ones I frequent, appear to be safe for the time being.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
FeralKat wrote:
They're closing all the stores in my area (6 locations!!)! ;__; I'll have to drive 15-30 miles to go to a bookstore now!
Seriously, I saw that, too. They must think we SoCalers don't read or something. I think the Hollywood store will now be the closest one, and I'm not driving to Hollywood just for that.
Its more the stores losing money hand over fist at present than any "expectation" of future prospects. So it could be relatively high store leases as much as relatively low sales.

There's also competition with Barnes and Noble for the big box bookstore customers.

For example, Borders is leaving Columbus, Ohio to just Waldenbooks, with both Columbus Borders are closing, while most Cincinnati and Cleveland Borders are not in the current round of closings. That'd a bit surprising if you think of what the sales prospects would be for the various cities in Ohio for bookstores ~ but Barnes and Noble has the downtown Columbus locations, at Lennox Center and the OSU bookstore, and one of the two Borders is on Sawmill Rd competing against one of the Barnes and Nobles, while in Cleveland and Cincinnati, even after the store closings, Borders stores are more common than Barnes and Noble.
toyNN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Painful numbers and I hope not so much as to directly affect some of these manga publishers. Clearly only a fraction of these numbers are specific to the manga sections, but still a 10% or 20% write-off is enough to hurt.

nyarine wrote:
Some figures on how much Borders owes publishers and distributors:
Diamond Comic Distributors - $3,906,549.94 (Tokyopop since mid Jan 2011)
Hatchette Book Group - $36,879,656.30 (Yen Press should be a portion of this debt)
Simon & Schuster - $33,757,444.75 (Viz Manga)
Random House - $33,461,061.80 (Del Rey Manga)
Harper Collins - $25,793,450.63 (Tokyopop, before the change to Diamond)
Macmillan - $11,434,306.30 (Seven Seas)

Deep in the hole...
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
DO'H!! Quick! To the Kinokuniya!
Yumeko-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
The one near me is safe, for now. Surprising considering it's literally across the street from a B&N.
Juhachi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
The one near me is closing. Crying or Very sad I've had a lot of good times finding and reading stuff in that place the past few years. I wonder if another book store is going to move in (B&N I assume). It's a pretty awesome location right in the middle of downtown too, but I guess there just wasn't enough sales since it's not like we're some major city or anything.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
So, the Borders I usually go is safe from the list (though can't be said for the Waldenbooks).

But, yeah, it sucks that most of Borders throughout U.S. are closing down. :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7