• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - A Higher Level of Whatever

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Person above wrote a long elaborate. He still have patience to explain this. I don't so I write just:
I love when fanboys crying about the ignorance of the world in the matter of manga show their ignorance, laziness and lack of the good will when it comes to talk about other medium.

Last edited by EireformContinent on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scamp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Am I allowed to be tired of people complaining about discussions and arguments on the internet? At least a single poster saying "dubz suk" is actually an opinion rather than everybody keeping quiet because they don't want to offend anybody. I like reading and listening to other people's opinions and takes on things. I wish they were better constructed arguments, yes. But wishing for everyone to be quiet about a topic? Sounds awful to me
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
PS: Manga IS better then comics, because of it's diversity. There are no mainstream american comics that are NOT about super-heroes.

My bookshelves say you're lying.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone else seen the Phineas and Ferb episode "Nerds of a Feather?" (Yes, I watch Phineas and Ferb) I think it sums up quite nicely the geek wars that occur, it also touches on the geek hierarchy with the *spoilers* Candace- ducky momo plot line. Actually, I think that it's because I browse anime forums that I found the episode so hilarious.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In that instant, I realized that this girl is used to winning arguments with anime fans this way. She is actually accustomed to people going up to her, attempting to impress / aggrandize themselves by spouting off that they've seen anime and read manga that nobody else has, when in fact they haven't. And when she rips back with "Oh yeah well I saw that FOREVER ago," the ball is in her court now.

It was immensely depressing, honestly. Let's move on.

While the situation itself might be depressing to think about, it is pretty entertaining to see someone who is acting so superior with nothing to actually stand on fall flat on their face.

In regards to elitism about things people are fanatical about, I think George Carlin said it best, "Have you ever noticed that their stuff is $hi# and your $hi# is stuff?" He was referring to items, but I think it applies to interests as well Smile

Censored, just in case. Here's a clip where the quote is from, enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLoge6QzcGY
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
PS: Manga IS better then comics, because of it's diversity. There are no mainstream american comics that are NOT about super-heroes.

Oh my goodness gracious, you mean Fables and Flight and Ruse and Meridian and Amulet are all about superheroes and I didn't even notice???
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Oh my goodness gracious, you mean Fables and Flight and Ruse and Meridian and Amulet are all about superheroes and I didn't even notice???

Well, to be fair, depending on your definition, one could argue that none of those are really mainstream. Of course that's where looking at what's 'mainstream' is a pretty arbitrary issue. There's not really any truly mainstream Japanese comics that aren't Shounen comics. Who cares though? That's just what's mainstream.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Well, to be fair, depending on your definition, one could argue that none of those are really mainstream. Of course that's where looking at what's 'mainstream' is a pretty arbitrary issue. There's not really any truly mainstream Japanese comics that aren't Shounen comics. Who cares though? That's just what's mainstream.

Good point. I'd say Fables is fairly mainstream, but now that I think about it, Flight prides itself on not being so. I think Amulet is fairly mainstream in the kiddy comic world, though maybe Rapunzel's Revenge would have been a better choice...ah well. That's what I get for posting annoyed.[/i]
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Peach Fuzz is a mainstream American comic, and you can't say it's about superheroes. And then you look at Persepolis, and you start to realize that all mainstream American comics are about little girls. American comics are all the same.
Sarcasm is not a forgotten art.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
Peach Fuzz is a mainstream American comic, and you can't say it's about superheroes. And then you look at Persepolis, and you start to realize that all mainstream American comics are about little girls. American comics are all the same.

Persepolis is not an American comic. Not unless America annexed France while I wasn't paying attention.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:25 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Everybody knows Archie!!! Laughing
toyNN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
She realizes she's been caught. I can see her eyes reach back in her brain, asking for help. "Well, uh," she says, "I haven't seen Kochi... that. I did see the other one, though. Doh-reemon."

In that instant, I realized that this girl is used to winning arguments with anime fans this way. She is actually accustomed to people going up to her, attempting to impress / aggrandize themselves by spouting off that they've seen anime and read manga that nobody else has, when in fact they haven't. And when she rips back with "Oh yeah well I saw that FOREVER ago," the ball is in her court now.

It was immensely depressing, honestly. Let's move on.

Uhhhh...seems like based on the answer to the first question someone is perhaps being a
Quote:
douchenugget
Razz
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:16 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Anymouse wrote:

Persepolis is not an American comic. Not unless America annexed France while I wasn't paying attention.

I didn't realize it was originally published in France. Didn't realize Marjane Sartrapi is a French national. Sometimes an attempt at wit can backfire.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There's not really any truly mainstream Japanese comics that aren't Shounen comics. Who cares though? That's just what's mainstream.

Depends on what you consider mainstream. Everything that doesn't sell like One Piece maybe? Anything that isn't in the bestselling anthologies?

Nodame Cantabile, Drops of God, Saint Young Man, Kimi ni Todoke, Nana and many more shoujo/seinen/josei manga are widely read and have or have had nearly permanent spots in the bestseller lists.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Either an entire generation of young adults are going to find themselves locked out of employment opportunities because of their flawed perceptions of digital ownership, or companies are going to simply overlook that. My money's on the latter.

Come on, keep the dream alive!
Quote:
The new HD transfer looks great, they did a great job in editing the episodes to the right length,

They could still stand to tighten up the fight scenes a weeee bit more... and by weeee bit, I mean cut in half.
Robert wrote:
And lets try to remember - it is just anime, after all. If someone disagrees with you, it isn't the end of the world. Rivers won't boil, the four horsemen won't appear, locusts won't swarm.

On the contrary, I direct your attention to Exhibit A: Anime News Nina #46 on 8/26/2008.
Scamp wrote:
Am I allowed to be tired of people complaining about discussions and arguments on the internet? At least a single poster saying "dubz suk" is actually an opinion rather than everybody keeping quiet because they don't want to offend anybody. I like reading and listening to other people's opinions and takes on things. I wish they were better constructed arguments, yes. But wishing for everyone to be quiet about a topic? Sounds awful to me

No, back to the cog-factory for re-training!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4