• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Fumihiko Sori's To Science-Fiction Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
@vashfanatic, from my understanding of time and space, it's said that time in space is slower than it is on Earth. It probably meant 2 years on the ship (in space) = 15 years pass on Earth.

Quote:
Space travel is cruel since the travelers only age 2 years while the rest of humanity ages 15 in the process.
By "the rest of humanity", it probably means the people on Earth. I hope I help clear up what you wanted to know.

No, not at all! I knew precisely what it meant in terms of 2 years = ship, 15 years = earth.

The problem is that for 2 years to pass on the ship while 15 pass outside, the ship would have to moving at nearly light speed (98%) which means that in two years' time it would travel 98% of 2 light years, which is (oh joy more math) 18,543,168,000,000 km. The moon is only 400,000 km from the earth, 800,000 round trip. At 98% light-speed you could make the trip from the earth to the moon 23,178,960 times in two years!

So in other words, for the premise to make sense they have to be traveling to the moon from somewhere other than earth. Which then begs the question of, where? Nowhere within the solar system takes that long to reach and come back (Pluto is still only light hours away), but the nearest solar system is 4.24 light years away, meaning it should take 8.5 years round-trip, too long for the 2 years specified in the summary. The edge of the Oort cloud is about 1 light year out, which would be about right, but it's not exactly an obvious spot for some really important energy source.

Can anybody clarify this? Or did the writer just really have no conception of distances in space?

Last edited by vashfanatic on Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Sweet about time they get some thing but still no Index 2 yet
tenebrusmke79

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I am liking the cast of Baka and Test. Brina as Hideyoshi is a brilliant casting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
To was incredibly underwhelming. Probably one of the least interesting science fiction anime I've seen in a while. I'm surprised it's getting license at all.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
hmmm To sounds pretty interesting I might pick it up on Best Buy's website when they release it.

I'm still waiting for the dub cast to Sora no Otoshimono.
opn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
So no news on more D.Gray-man?
Shall we just write this one off as dropped?

there are still issues with dentsu hopefully they get resolved soon i dont care what people said about the dub i for one liked it sure not the best but still good.and i still want more one piece.
batou37

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
@Vash
I think its probably a matter of a little of both. The way I read the description the "Moonlight cannon" or whatever is how they send stuff to the moon. The long number spaceship is a totally different thing as it is described as the flying dutchman (traditional nautical term for a missing or lost ship that gains ghostly connotations.) Possibly a research vessel that took of carrying "precious energy" in the form of it's engines fuel and it finally shows back up? I don't know I'm just guessing here. But to approach .98c seems a bit ludicrous to me as well, as it would require next to infinite energy. Strange they wouldn't travel "faster" than light through the use of wormhole or warping spacetime (hypothetical alcubierre drive) which bypasses the infinite energy problem.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hideyoshi - Brina Palencia

Laughing Laughing

Oh my god, this is so perfect!!
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
Sweet. Smile I had forgotten about this, but I'm still hopeful for something worth watching, so it's great to hear Funimation's already on board.

Oh so Blood-, let me know when you're popping open the champagne. I wouldn't mind a glass.

I am certainly happy to hear about this, but I want to point out that it still isn't the type of licensing/release announcement that I've been looking for: i.e., a previously unreleased TV series for physical media release. It's been over 6 months since Funi has announced such a beast. However, as I said before, I'm happy to hear about this particular acquisition.

While I would agree its great to hear Funimation pick up something pretty big, I'd like to wonder what they've been doing with all those licenses they picked up exactly one year ago?

BTW, Blood do you like Sentai/Section23? Do you feel like like they've picked up anything nice and worth a look lately?
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Quote:
Hideyoshi - Brina Palencia

Laughing Laughing

Oh my god, this is so perfect!!

In the immortal words of Brina Palencia when she found out how J. Michael Tatum broke his nose on the back of a couch as a kid on the latest epsidoe of That Anime Show, "Oh my god that's amazing!! OH, that's amazing!!" Laughing

And I wasn't expecting the cast announcement was going to be this soon. Though someone from another website mentioned how Kent Williams sent a tweet about how the Baka and Test show will be dubbed, but he didn't mention who will be in it. But it's also awesome that Terri Doty of all people will be the voice director (and as far as otaku-centric shows, I found Baka and Test pretty fun to watch). I also just realized that Yoshii isn't mentioned yet, but I'm just going to take a wild guess that it's Todd Haberkorn mostly because the Japanese actor for Yoshii, Hiro Shimono also did Tajima in Big Windup and Todd haberkorn also happened to do Tajima in Big Windup. Though I doubt that's the main reason he would be casted for the role.

And Alexis Tipton as Mizuki Himeji... this doesn't surprise me in a hilarious way because Brina figured that if all the Funimation actors were in a high school movie, Alexis would be "the adorable freshman girl that all the dudes want to bang." I'm not kidding either, that's what she actually said.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad to see that Baka and Test is being dubbed. It had been long enough since they'd said anything about it, I was beginning to worry that it would never be released on DVD/Blu-ray and would only ever be streamed. That series is fantastic. It definitely deserves a proper physical release with a dub. Here's to hoping it gets a Blu-ray release. At least Funimation is making a larger percentage of their releases have a Blu-ray version now, though it's still far from all of them. Regardless, this is good news.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
batou37 wrote:
@Vash
I think its probably a matter of a little of both. The way I read the description the "Moonlight cannon" or whatever is how they send stuff to the moon. The long number spaceship is a totally different thing as it is described as the flying dutchman (traditional nautical term for a missing or lost ship that gains ghostly connotations.) Possibly a research vessel that took of carrying "precious energy" in the form of it's engines fuel and it finally shows back up? I don't know I'm just guessing here. But to approach .98c seems a bit ludicrous to me as well, as it would require next to infinite energy. Strange they wouldn't travel "faster" than light through the use of wormhole or warping spacetime (hypothetical alcubierre drive) which bypasses the infinite energy problem.

Actually, I looked over my math again and realized that I had it backwards: it would be going the 15 light years round trip with only 2 passing on the ship (as opposed to the reverse, of course), which would put it well into the range of "going to another solar system and back." And I think you're right that the synopsis is just awkwardly written, and the "moon cannon" from Earth to the moon is separate from the "Flying Dutchman" which, from the math, would have to have gone outside of the solar system and back.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Vexille was competently directed if also painfully bland. This subject matter sounds a bit more interesting so I'm glad someone picked it up.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
@Hypeathon

Heh, glad theres others here that listen to that podcast. Smile

I'd re-listen to that episode, but it's long... 2:14:25. Good grief.

It was a fun episode though.
GeekyBlackGirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
I like the ship design in the illustration. As I'm something of a sci-fi fan I think I will be looking forward to this.

Same here. I enjoy good sci-fi anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3