• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2007 in Long Beach, CA

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midori kou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
It was announced during con gripe that AX07 will be in Long Beach. Any thoughts how this would affect attendence? The Long Beach Convention Center is pretty small.
kenshin77

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I think it is a bad idea. First off during the years that Anime Expo was in Long Beach, they limited the amount of people who came in and out of the Exhibit hall, and the lines got longer as more people wanted to go inside it.

The places people want to go to for the panels will be too far unlike in Anaheim everything is within the convention center area. I also think Anime Expo should be kept in Anaheim, because its Orange County's only Anime Convention Very Happy
Mach5Motorsport

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Back to Long Beach?!?!?! And they are claiming over 33,000 people this year....as if LBCC and the downtown area can support such numbers. I'm sure that everyone will love walking those looooong blocks once again between hotels and convention center in the hot sun. Wink
I wonder if the "love" with the Anaheim Con Center has run its term.

Brian "Dieter"

Fanime DerCosplay
Yaoi Con Cosplay
2003 AX Masqerade/Art Show/Charity Auction Host
.....among other things
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:33 pm Reply with quote
The lines for the exhibit hall were insane in '02, but they were more organized, and if you waited later in the day, they would get smaller. Plus the location's better, since I can just take the subway and railway down there, and I don't have to sit 2 hours on a freeway. Not to mention there's more hotel room, and since it's closer to the ocean, it's cooler. And the cheaper costs allow for better guests. I think the positives outweigh the negatives on this one.

Mach: You have to walk long blocks at either location. But at least at the LBCC one, you get more cheap restaurants.
kenshin77

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:33 am Reply with quote
the lines may have been organized back in '02, but that was 2002. In 2007 the attendance may be over 50,000. I hope all the improvement at the Long Beach convention center will help it hold AX.

If they can't they can always come back to Anaheim in 2008!!! Laughing Very Happy
Mach5Motorsport

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:27 pm Reply with quote
True, there are many cheap eats in downtown Long Beach (and Hooters!!! Very Happy ) But you know the hot temps and walking the pavement complaints will arrive sooner than you can say ,'The reg line wait now is...."

Brian "Dieter"

Fanime DerCosplay
Yaoi Con Cosplay
.....among other things
Mach5Motorsport

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
True, there are many cheap eats in downtown Long Beach (and Hooters!!! Very Happy ) But you know the hot temps and walking the pavement complaints will arrive sooner than you can say ,'The reg line wait now is...."

Brian "Dieter"

Fanime DerCosplay
Yaoi Con Cosplay
.....among other things
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:41 am Reply with quote
They're moving to Long Beach for 2007 because another group has the Anaheim center for that year. They'll stay there otherwise. =/

And in 2001/2002, I keep hearing AX didn't have the whole LBCC. For 2007, they will, so there'll be a lot more room.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mach5Motorsport

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
They're moving to Long Beach for 2007 because another group has the Anaheim center for that year. They'll stay there otherwise. =/

And in 2001/2002, I keep hearing AX didn't have the whole LBCC. For 2007, they will, so there'll be a lot more room.

That is uncertain. Yes, they announced the move due to the shriners international convention was scheduled years ahead. (some say they knew of this situation as far back as 2003) But to say they will stay at Long Beach after 2007 was not disclosed.

After enduring the LBCC in 01 & 02, I sertiously doubt that AX would want to remain there after 07. Besides that, the current attendance is well over the numbers back in 01 & 02. There is no assurance the area around LBCC can handle such numbers if they remain at their "reported" number of over 30,000. In fact, I haven't heard if a confirmed attendance number for 05 was ever reported. AX just seemed to jump up by 8K for the past two years.

Anaheim Con Center still is a better site. AX needs to take over the entire facilty from the Kenneth Copeland Ministries event or get off the July 4th calendar weekend. It they are as big as they now claim to be, then this is paramount in maintaining their current attendee numbers and not regressing.

Brian "Dieter"

Fanime DerCosplay
Yaoi Con Cosplay
.....among other things
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Shocked

Mach5Motorsport wrote:
That is uncertain. Yes, they announced the move due to the shriners international convention was scheduled years ahead. (some say they knew of this situation as far back as 2003) But to say they will stay at Long Beach after 2007 was not disclosed.

^^; Er no, I meant they'll stay in ANAHEIM otherwise, as in other than 2007 in Long Beach. Razz I guess I didn't phrase that part of my post very well. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mach5Motorsport

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
Shocked

Mach5Motorsport wrote:

^^; Er no, I meant they'll stay in ANAHEIM otherwise, as in other than 2007 in Long Beach. Razz I guess I didn't phrase that part of my post very well. Laughing

If they are set to stay in Anaheim after 07, then I would expect them to aquire the ENTIRE ACC and not endure another year with Kenneth Copeland...If they don't gdo this, then I would expect to see some major programing breakdowns. If AX is claiming to be the big thing in anime, they can do no less.
galactic_lady

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:07 pm Reply with quote
That's really depressing.

One of the big draws for me was the convenience of being able to walk over to Disneyland Downtown to watch movies etc. Also can go to Disneyland without moving a car or needing to ride anywhere. Not that the convention lacks in coolness but it's rather convenient to be able to throw in a couple days to your trip for Disneyland without switching locations. meh..., I'm definitely not going to Long Beach though.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:17 am Reply with quote
galactic_lady: You're just going to be overcharged for food which lacks nutritional value and crappy and possibly defective rides.
galactic_lady

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:27 pm Reply with quote
That's the whole fun of it, didn't you know? Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1