• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime!! at the NYC Museum of Modern Art

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:48 am Reply with quote
Did anyone check out the Anime!! exhibit at MoMA?

Just curious, was planning on dropping by tomorrow.

Check the MoMA site / news post for more details.
Quote:
Anime—the latest of America’s many imports from Japan—is a genre of animated film that developed out of manga (printed comic books) and retains the raw energy of that popular format. Anime began by attracting younger viewers, but developed diversified content and spread steadily to wider audiences.

At the same time, it has progressed from the jerky, rough action and economical drawing of its early productions to the aesthetic sophistication and stylization of more recent projects. It is as if the panels of a comic had been directly translated onto the big screen. Anime characters are often entangled in extreme situations, and the stories delve into up-to-the-minute subjects like the Save the Earth movement, the overlap between humans and robots, and those staples of popular film everywhere, growing up and the mayhem that comes with transition. Anime emerged shortly after World War II, and took off with the advent of Japanese television in the late 1950s. Early works reflect the tensions in a Japanese society urgently reinventing itself. The films presented here follow the development of anime chronologically: the classics of the ’50s are closer to their manga sources, while the recent productions are hybrid assemblages demonstrating everything high tech has to offer. The program includes short works, often episodes from television series, and full-length theatrical features.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:41 am Reply with quote
VERY cool. Hmm... there's no mention of Mindgame whatsoever at the MoMA website, though. That's a shame, cause it's a great film, and would fit perfectly in a gallery.

Wow, I wish I could see this! I'm so jealous of you east-coasters right now! I haven't seen any of the Tezuka stuff aside from Testuwan Atomu and I'm SO curious about Hinotori. Ahh, and I want to see the Crayon Shin-Chan movie SOOOO badly! I love Masaaki Yuasa and the original manga, so I feel as though the movie will be a win-win situation. Grr. I like the variety of titles they'll be showing. It looks like the majority of the big landmarks are there (I wish Macross was included on the mecha side of things, but oh well.) and some top-quality animation will be presented as well. Those of you who can make it to this (and generally have access to MoMA whever you want), I envy you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1