• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Qwaser of Stigmata Sub.DVD 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guildmaster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Everytime I hear about this show I partially wonder just what kind of sexual dysfunction birthed it...

Like you don't already know.....
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Yes, because only someone with some severe sexual psychoses could think that making this manga (that birthed this show) was a good idea.

What's so psychotic about it? So they get powers from breast milk. Big deal. It's hardly the craziest thing sen in anime.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Characters that use breast milk to power up their attacks? I'm in disbelief over this one. I can't believe there's an actual show with something like this. I think Sentai did the right thing in not dubbing this into English. I doubt there are very few people who'd want to see this sort of anime.
Can you imagine how the voice actors would feel about doing a show such as this? All of them would probably be thinking to themselves "Why are we doing this sort of show?" And,they'd probably be embarrassed to dub this sort of show into English. The audience for this show is narrow and hopefully this is one of those shows that never gets a dub. But,then "Magical Witch Punie-Chan" got an English dub a lot later so "The Qwaser of Stigmata" will probably get a dub one day.

But,to be honest,this doesn't seem like the type of show that deserves a dub,just based on quality alone. This anime doesn't really seem to need it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
A whole bunch of redundancy.

A whole lot worse than this has been dubbed, and the audience is larger than you think, judging by the forty-eight thousand people who've added it to their MAL in some fashion.

And what's this "based on quality alone"? The review was lauding the anime's technical virtues in sound, design, animation, and even somewhat in character and story. It's a high quality show with an out-there premise and a whole bunch of nudity. Besides, whether or not something receives a dub doesn't seem to affect its potential size of audience these days. Maybe it affects if people want to put money down on a DVD set, but it's not like this was ever going to be on any TV station.
mdreura

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Can you imagine how the voice actors would feel about doing a show such as this? All of them would probably be thinking to themselves "Why are we doing this sort of show?" And,they'd probably be embarrassed to dub this sort of show into English.

Uh... You know they used to do actual H-anime dubs, right?
kanechin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
"all the fanservice one could want" except for ekaterina, she gets a few not-so-great scenes in the ova and in the S1 & S2 specials which give her a developed figure.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
kanechin wrote:
"all the fanservice one could want" except for ekaterina, she gets a few not-so-great scenes in the ova and in the S1 & S2 specials which give her a developed figure.

That was probably my biggest issue with the series. She was by far my favorite girl yet they were scared to ever give her any significant fanservice... hell even that one girl who was even flatter than she was got nude scenes.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Technically, it's not 'breast milk', it's soma which is a drink with religious and ritualistic background. It just so happens to be found in the breasts of women descended from the Christian figure Virgin Mary (hense why the female partners of Qwasers are called 'Marias'. In Christianity, the breast milk of Virgin Mary gave to Jesus paralleled the role of the Blood of Christ later on. That's the nice thing about Qwaser, they do their research on both science and religion and then twist them for their own needs.

The hot springs episode was anime only and it was one of my favorite things about the anime. That 'middle part' that drags on is mostly anime-only and I suspected they did it to pad out the story since the first arc would have been much shorter if they didn't (though the Lili Kamen stuff was in the manga, Sasha's amnesia wasn't). Though despite that they did cut a bit out as well which made me a bit disappointed, but I know why they did it since it makes the first season stand-alone since they didn't know if it would get another one. Overall I was satisfied. I was more disappointed with the second season since they threw out all notion of following the manga at that point, but it was still enjoyable as it's own thing.

The openings and endings are definitely up there with my favorite all time openings and endings. The first ending especially is very artistic but without the pretentiousness that usually comes with it, it's just having fun with sexy ladies and lightiing and random stuff. From an artistic standpoint, I think the censored version of the 2nd ending is better than the uncensored. The silhouettes and black boxes add to the imagery a lot I find.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Yes, because only someone with some severe sexual psychoses could think that making this manga (that birthed this show) was a good idea.

What's so psychotic about it? So they get powers from breast milk. Big deal. It's hardly the craziest thing sen in anime.

Not by a long shot saber along with the over servants, in fate universe have to do "mana transfers or have spoiler[SEX]" to replenish strength.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:50 am Reply with quote
If Adult Swim can have a show about ass-man................ Laughing

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Not by a long shot saber along with the over servants, in fate universe have to do "mana transfers or have spoiler[SEX]" to replenish strength.

Wait, this universe guys already do that, whatchatalkinaboot! Laughing
(Or at least that's what the girls say.)
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:26 am Reply with quote
that only applies to the adult games of the series
it does not apply to the fate universe as a whole
if you ever saw anything like that in a PSP game I guarantee you it would be Banned
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:36 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

if you ever saw anything like that in a PSP game I guarantee you it would be Banned

...uhhh...and? You realize the original Fate/Stay Night, the one the entire franchise spun off from, was an eroge, right? (even if the sex scenes were pretty much hilariously terrible, but thats par for the course)

Your point about the console games is utterly irrelevant. Do you have an actual point to this, or are you just being a moral scold?
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:51 am Reply with quote
my point?

you can prance around and say you love saber all day long but at the end of the day a company has to pay their bills.

if you think an eroge from 5 years ago is paying the bills you are sadly mistaken. All the money they make is from merchandising that includes anime and PSP games, figures etc.

my point is the eroge world needs to be kept in the eroge.

if anyone is foolish it may be how you are seeming to imply that qwazer of stigmata is a generally accepted theme or genre in anime.

yes, in the fate stay night eroge saber sleeps with that dude, and?
there are tons of hentai released every year where people 'get it on' but none of that applies to anime of 'general' audiences.

you clearly don't like me labeling qwaser of stigmata as an adult theme'd show, yet your only defense is to compare it to an eroge?
Mad

personally, I don't really have an opinion of the series. if it floats your boat, go for it. for me it's just the same kind of show as queen's blade. I'm just messing wit you because it's late at night, no hard feelings.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:55 am Reply with quote
It's just a further cultural manifestation of Japanese mens obsession with ginormous bazongas (gazongas, take your pick, I'll take one of each Wink ) taken to an extreme.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:03 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

my point is the eroge world needs to be kept in the eroge

...?

Sense. Make it you do not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5