• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - The Shape of Things

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerbilx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote
Huuuh, there's a lot to say about Wild Strawberries, but warmth of character caught me quite off guard.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
on the topic of design, I hadn't really thought about it until reading these responses, but the anime for Nabari no Ou has some really impressive design in my opinion. It's not animated beautifully and the character designs aren't really special-- just some pretty boys and cute girls-- but the environments have sketchy shading, outlines that look like they were rendered with pencils, and colors splotched and layered like watercolors. I was immediately impressed with the attention to detail, and the end result of a very washed-out palette gives the entire series a very unique feeling.

As for the guy who is interviewing in Japan, well, I can only use my experience interviewing for eikaiwa, but it's strongly advised to not mention anime while at an interview. Even if it comes up ._.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In recent years, Adult Swim's ratings have risen from all those years ago when they ran Lupin III and Trigun and InuYasha and Cowboy Bebop four nights a week. In a way, they were relatively cheap programming filler - it cost them far less to acquire an anime series in order to fill up air time than to produce new content. Now? They're one of the biggest networks on Television when it comes to that coveted, precious male 18-34 demographic. Big stars and big producers are pitching new shows to Adult Swim all the time, and Adult Swim now has the money to make them. And after several years of growth, they finally have enough original product to fill a full lineup of programming.

Being part of that "coveted, precious male 18-34 demographic," I have to say....Adult Swim really needs to hire better people.

Suffice to say, I never liked some of the "Original Programming" they seem to throw on (Really, you gave two *****s carte blanche rights to create a show that is pure narcissism? And a racist show?). Hell, I hate the fact that "Anime" to Adult Swim is reshowing Cowboy Bebop for the.....9,726th time in a row. Guys, we get it already, it's popular as ****, your just now beating the bones of the long dead horse.

Also, the April Fools jokes have gotten lame. Come on AS, you can do better.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:16 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Hell, I hate the fact that "Anime" to Adult Swim is reshowing Cowboy Bebop for the.....9,726th time in a row. Guys, we get it already, it's popular as ****, your just now beating the bones of the long dead horse.

Also, the April Fools jokes have gotten lame. Come on AS, you can do better.

Considering what they consider cartoons these days, we should be glad they are giving the HD upscales a chance to follow those first 9,720-something airing. Gotta agree on the April Fools pranks. I still have my recording of the Witch Hunter Robin ep.1 with mustaches. Funny then and now. Perfect Hair for the umpteenth time? Just release it on BD/DVD and move on.

Point of clarification on this week's question: what is this "time to spend" you speak of, and where can I find some?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:33 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Considering what they consider cartoons these days, we should be glad they are giving the HD upscales a chance to follow those first 9,720-something airing.

It's gotten to the point where I see no artistic merit or praise in Cowboy Bebop being constantly reaired time and time again. 26 Episodes easily burn into repetitiveness far faster than say, an old Cowboy Show or some History Channel Documentary on......some Senior Citizen dripping hot candle wax onto some bound womans naked body. The reairings pretty much have proven that what was once good can turn into something extremely bad.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:36 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
Remember when you had to pay 50 bucks for a two-episode VHS tape from Japan, plus shipping? Or, shudder, a hundred dollars to import a LaserDisc for a two-episode OAV that turned out to be total garbage? Those were dark times, my friend. Dark times.

Yes indeed, I remember those times. I have no idea what the second hand market for Japanese DVDs are (and honestly, there may not really be one yet because BRD is so recent) but trying to shop for second-hand LDs in Japan is astounding because they are still expensive. Like, 30,000 yen for GundamZZ when I could probably get it on Internet auction for a third of that prior to shipping.

One thing I will say in praise of the Japanese system, even though it is more expensive, is that until BRDs, the prices only fluctuated a few hundred yen, when compensating for a number of other macroeconomic factors, between new technologies. That's probably why LaserDiscs were able to retain popularity for so long despite VHS being as ubiquitous it was in America.

But "going straight to the source" really doesn't afford you any better deals when it comes to anime, whether you are buying from the Internet or actually in country. Manga, though, is entirely different - manga tankouban themselves are pretty cheap (under ~400 yen for shonen, just above ~500 for seinen) and used prices are around the 100 - 300 mark. Ah, Japan, the land of cheap comics, cigarettes and beer!

Saturn wrote:

As for the guy who is interviewing in Japan, well, I can only use my experience interviewing for eikaiwa, but it's strongly advised to not mention anime while at an interview. Even if it comes up ._.

Seconding this, for the love of anything, do not mention you like anime. I'm not intimately familiar with Japanese job interviews but I know from interviewing here, asking about a candidates hobbies have a couple of purposes - making sure you'll fit in well with the team, skirting around family life questions and making sure you aren't completely inept in knowing anything outside your work field. I can only imagine, with a culture that strives for homogeneity like Japan, this would still apply. If any hobby questions come up - be very general. This is true for any job, no matter where the posting is. It's CYA for you to keep a little bit of your private life private but it still gives them an idea of your personality types.

Have you been to Japan before? If they ask about like "Why do you want a job in Japan?", tell them something about what appealed to you when you were there before. Unless your trip consisted of nothing but Akihabara and Ikebukuro; I'd leave that out. Talk about cultural things, talk about society - just don't talk about cartoons and comics.

Kudos to you for getting the interview - working abroad is something that I am looking to do and Japan is near the top of my list. Best of luck to you on your interview!

Job Applicant wrote:
fairly large Japanese company

"Fairly large" typically means "fairly respectable", too. If you want to dazzle your co-workers with knowledge of cartoons and not be compared to some crazy Japanese version of a basement dweller - do it quietly at a company party when everyone's drunk (but only if you're drinking, too!). That way if anyone says anything negatively about it when everyone's sober, you can just say you were drunk.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One person cannot, cannot, definitively state that This Show is better than That Show because of Reason A and also Reason B. It's folly.

And yet people do it anyway, and they will keep on doing it. Nothing will stop them. After all, it is their opinion. There are some really trashy things out there, you can't expect people to not say so, just like there are some brilliant things out there, which people will surely show praise for. It might be folly, but it happens.
nechronius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Woo, I got in! And no one's thrown tomatoes at me yet! Razz

(Also, Nechronius, you wouldn't happen to be a fan of 12 Oz. Mouse, would you?)

Sorry, never even heard of it before.

But goodness gracious me, I misspelled "caramba."

The horror...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Heh, 12 Oz. Mouse is a very...surrealist sort of crazy-conspiracy cartoon that aired on [adult swim]. There's a character in it who's a giant walking eyeball, and he replaces the majority of his vowels with "eye," just like you were doing. Razz
RedTail

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Brian, while laserdisc players were certainly more expensive than VCRs, LDs were often cheaper than tapes in Japan. This was done to encourage adoption of the medium. That's why fans in the US at the time imported mostly LDs.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I imported a few Laserdiscs back in the day. I recently imported The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya on BluRay. I'm not currently importing anime TV series on BluRay, but I've resigned myself to the possibility that that might be my only option if I want to watch certain shows like A Certain Scientific Railgun in the proper 1080p resolution they were animated in.

While FUNimation has licensed the Railgun/Index anime franchise for the North American market, for physical media, they seem to only have permission to release it as a DVD, probably because there's no way in hell the Japanese licensor will let them release it as a low-priced 13-episode BluRay thinpack unless they removed the Japanese audio, and FUNimation doesn't seem open to the idea of releasing anime series as higher priced (but lower than import) BluRay singles if that's the only way a licensor will let them release a recent anime on BluRay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rojse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Just for the sake of an example, let's pick Mokoto Shinkai. The Place Promised in Our Early Days and 5 Centimeters Per Second. Those films are, from my own perspective, meant to evoke a sense of nostalgic, bittersweet melancholia for a young and vibrant but doomed romance. They are very effective in their own way at achieving that, but I personally found them to be a little bit too cold and distant in their execution. But that's only because I, personally, have seen that type of story done far better - just watch any of Ingmar Bergman's films. "Wild Strawberries" in particular. It's similarly dark and brooding, but there's just the right amount of warmth and humanity to the characters to make you feel more personally invested, and, therefore, rewarded by the experience.

But hey, wait, what the hell am I doing? I'm comparing a young, relatively inexperienced anime director like Makoto Shinkai to an internationally known and revered film auteur from the 20th century? That's not fair to Shinkai. That wouldn't be fair to anybody."

I fail to see the problem with comparing two movies or shows, even if one is animated and another is live-action, as long as they are similar in story and theme. Regardless of the fact that Bergman is a classic film-maker and that Shinkai is a relatively inexperienced director.

Quote:
"And in that sense, it seems just as unfair to compare other anime to Evangelion, or to Studio Ghibli, and many other exceptional pieces of anime that rise triumphantly above the tepid waters of mediocrity. A show like, I dunno, Highschool of the Dead was never attempting anything beyond what it succeeds at - quickly transmitting the appropriate levels of violence and fanservice that its audience craves."

I consider it entirely fair to compare every serious mecha show I watch with Neon Genesis Evangelion, if both have similar themes and ideas. I also consider it entirely fair that I compare every children's movie I watch to Studio Ghibli's output, since they all have similar goals, target audiences, and so forth. There are reasons why these are considered the best of anime (and I would agree with these assessments), and when critiquing another show or movie, part of that for me is to ask why did it not work as well as the counterparts which I thought worked well. Whether they be animated or live-action.

I wouldn't compare "High School of the Dead" with NGE or Ghibli, though. Apart from the fact that all are animated shows from Japan, there is no comparison to be had in terms of story, themes, target audiences, or ideas presented.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
Is this week's article title a reference to the Neil LaBute play of the same name?
loka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
What is ugly design in anime? Lots of older anime have characters with eyes at their temples. They look like hammerhead sharks, not humans. Lots of older anime have characters with skulls that bulge far out at the forehead. While there are people like that, it is rather unsightly. I could go on listing the deficiencies of old character design...

In Someday's Dreamers:Summer Skies (Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora) they eventually stop running the photo backgrounds through any filtering, and just add drawn (and poorly detailed) items to the background / foreground. e.g. cups and condiments on a table. It looks ridiculous. Not necessarily ugly, but terrible design.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
As far as my spending habits for anime goes, I would say I'm actually against the norm in that I'm spending more than ever now on anime DVDs. Now when I first became an anime fan I spent almost nothing on it, because I was watching it through less-than-legal means. It wasn't until I realized the harmful effects my actions had on the industry that I started watching anime legally. When I started doing that, I mostly focused on watching anime on TV and through legal streaming. Then I only purchased DVDs for shows I was really looking forward to or that I just loved so much I had to have them. But lately, I've been more open to purchasing DVDs based on reviews or even just recommendations alone. I don't know why I'm doing that now, but maybe it's just because I don't want to miss out on the shows that could become some of my absolute favorites in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3