Forum - View topic
Announcing Anime News Network UK


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> UK -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tempest
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 8535
Location: Do not message me for support.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the late reply, I went on vacation on the day before the UK site launched.

Pippin4242 wrote:
However... I have to admit that I'll be largely sticking with the .com site, simply because it's an extremely good guide to what's being licensed more generally, and what the UK might be getting sort of eighteen months down the line.



Our goal is to change that. We want to build up the UK site so that there is no reason for UK readers to go to the .com site.

We know that you guys are interested in what's going on in North America, which is why we're cross-posting all the .com news to .uk. Likewise, in the very near future, we'll be cross-posting all the .com reviews, columns, etc.. to .uk.

In otherwords, .uk will encompass the totality of .com with the addition of UK specific content.

Torsley wrote:

does this mean the co.uk server staying in europe? sometimes the com site is very slow for me. i'm from germany.

No, all our servers are in the USA. Too many regulatory challenges to place a server in the EU. In fact, I'm pondering moving our servers out of the USA for the same reason.

Girubaato wrote:
I have a suggestion, looking around. I love having an RSS feed for ANN on my firefox, and would quite like one for the UK version of this site, if the current feed doesn't already count? It's not essential, just convienient.


Great idea.

This one: animenewsnetwork.com/news/rss.xml includes USA + UK news at the moment. I think we'll try to create a second feed for people who want UK only news (we're going to update the front page to allow you to toggle the .com news on/off). Likewise, we'll probably make a UK Twitter account.

Fletcher1991 wrote:
lol I like how they announce this when everybody in the U.K. should be sleeping
It's the middle of the night, why would you be sleeping? You should be watching anime!

DonQuigleone wrote:
Speaking of which, will ANN UK also cover Republic of Ireland (RoI) events?
Good question. I don't know the answer yet.

-Christopher Macdonald
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
egoist
Pirate KingPirate King


Joined: 20 Jun 2008
Posts: 7670

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's the middle of the night, why would you be sleeping? You should be watching anime!

Oh, I entirely agree with that. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Truered



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Posts: 515
Location: Uni

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow took me this long to notice, good to see my eyesight is maintaining its high standard Laughing

Well it'll certainly be interesting to see how it all develops. Though I have to admit it is kind of surprising to see a UK subforum/site appear
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
faintsmile1992



Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Posts: 295
Location: England

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:16 am Reply with quote
It is surprising IMO because theres next to no fandom here, or at least there isnt outside the big cities like London... but its still good news except I import most of my anime and manga anime anyway, the exceptions are if I happen to be browsing at Waterstones or HMV where the selections are usually appalling

I wish there was a UK dubbing industry though, as far as I know there was just that Urusei Yatsura dub which had Matt Lucas and Anna Friel in it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tyranuus



Joined: 26 Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Location: England

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote
There are still fans in the UK even if not a coordinated fandom; most of us just tend to be hidden away and harder to find outside of the main cities because of the stigma attached to a lot of this stuff in the UK and Europe in general.
I haven't gone looking for people with these interests, and yet I've found out over the last year and a half at least 4/5 people I know have or have had an interest in this stuff; usually by complete accident rather than because we directly talked about it.

Like you say though it's easier to import series...stuff like Spice and Wolf, Toradora or Kanon still aren't licensed for the EU; despite having been out for some time now in the states.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
faintsmile1992



Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Posts: 295
Location: England

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote
tyranuus wrote:
There are still fans in the UK even if not a coordinated fandom; most of us just tend to be hidden away and harder to find outside of the main cities because of the stigma attached to a lot of this stuff in the UK and Europe in general.


People talk about the stigma thats supposed to exist against anime in the UK, but I haven't seen any. I just don't know any other fans, unless youre counting people who only watch anime series like Pokemon, and other people seem either vaguely aware what it is or theyve never heard of it

And the organised fandom we do have is just awful here. Someone online compared the entry price and the events at the UK conventions to the American ones, and theres no comparison at all. In the UK the anime scene seems to just be about people getting pissed at a bar and that doesnt interest me at all. A big part of the reason Im into anime and manga in the first place instead of being "normal", is because I don't want to do that or Id just go to a pub

Quote:
I haven't gone looking for people with these interests, and yet I've found out over the last year and a half at least 4/5 people I know have or have had an interest in this stuff; usually by complete accident rather than because we directly talked about it.


Well I don't know where to find people with similar interests, because Im introverted and I don't like to join in with groups of strangers. But FWIW somone living here is unlikely to find an anime club near them, unless theyre living in a city with a uunversity. Thats how scattered the fandom is here

Quote:
Like you say though it's easier to import series...stuff like Spice and Wolf, Toradora or Kanon still aren't licensed for the EU; despite having been out for some time now in the states.


I agree, there isnt even considered to be a market for entire kinds of series here so they wont even get licenced
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
faintsmile1992



Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Posts: 295
Location: England

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
It says Australia on the forum page, just so you know...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> UK -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group