• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Flowers of Evil TV Anime's 1st Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
And yes, saying that this upcoming anime adaptation is not a mystery is spoiling the fun of finding what the story/plot is about.
This story has got as much depth as a half pint of lagar. so you're won't be too spoiled. The H doujin have more depth and that isn't a glowing endorsement by any standard. Laughing
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And yes, saying that this upcoming anime adaptation is not a mystery is spoiling the fun of finding what the story/plot is about.

Really?If everyone has those standards there would be no reviews ever.Not to mention it would take you a tree minutes into the first episode to realize this is not a mystery.
Quote:
Let me decide how good an anime (even if it is an adaptation) is on its own merits.

Of course I would but calling it yet another show about adolescents is factually untrue.From what we have seen from manga,repertoire of director and this trailer,it is definitely going to be atypical.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:

Really?If everyone has those standards there would be no reviews ever.

True, reviews can contain spoilers, but I expect that. I read reviews when I want to be more informed. But I came to this forum to give my opinion about a trailer and speculate some. I did not come here expecting spoilers from those familiar with the manga.

But I suppose I should avoid discussions about anime adaptation because some people like to show off their knowledge on the source material. They might not want to spoil the animes intentionally in the first place, but they do it.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I wanna know how they're gonna pull off the rotoscoping for this one. I've seen Ralph Bakshi films, and they were off the hook! ymmv
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
True, reviews can contain spoilers, but I expect that.

Your definition of spoiler is very wrong.Here you go from wikipedia
Quote:
A spoiler is any element of any summary or description of any piece of fiction that reveals any plot element which will give away the outcome of a dramatic episode within the work of fiction or the conclusion of the entire work.
Meaning if you reveal a genre of a show you are not spoiling it.Besides have you not read premise of this thing,the one officially released by persons marketing this anime?Does it scream mystery to you?Even if there was no manga,just by reading premise of show you can basically figure out what the show will be about.
Quote:
But I suppose I should avoid discussions about anime adaptation because some people like to show off their knowledge on the source material. They might not want to spoil the animes intentionally in the first place, but they do it.

Yeah I am showing of my knowledge by telling people what genre this belongs to and that it is not generic highschool anime.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
@danilo07

Thanks for pointing me to Wikipedia: the authority on all knowledge. I was more interested on hearing your own definition of spoilers.
Saturn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
I wanna know how they're gonna pull off the rotoscoping for this one. I've seen Ralph Bakshi films, and they were off the hook! ymmv

if find them to be very Uncanny Valley and I'm a little nauseous thinking about it haha
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
Tch. I was following the manga even before Vertical licensed it. You spoiler[shit]bugs.

(Obviously, I'm just jesting. If you read the manga, you'll know what I meant)

Nice one!

I cannot wait to see Nakamura-chan!! Really looking forward to this.
Kohii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
@danilo07

Thanks for pointing me to Wikipedia: the authority on all knowledge. I was more interested on hearing your own definition of spoilers.

A synopsis is fair game. Any deaths or sudden twists would be considered a spoiler
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Really looking forward to this. I'm not the biggest fan of rotoscoping, but I'm thrilled the manga is being adapted in any form.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
Since the preview told me nothing about the story, all I have to go on is this:
Quote:
The "corrupt pure-love story" revolves around Takao Kasuga (Shinichiroh Ueda), a bookish boy who loves the poems of Charles Baudelaire (the original author of the poetry collection Les Fleurs du mal or Flowers of Evil). One day after school, he discovers and steals the gym clothes of Nanako Saeki (Yōko Hikasa), the girl he has a crush on. However, he learns that Sawa Nakamura (Mariya Ise), a girl he loathes, happens to catch him in the act.

Now I'm not the biggest fan of Boogiepop, or Evangelion for that matter, but does that description suggest this story bears even the slightest relationship to either of those shows? Stolen gym clothes? Crushes and loathing?

Sure this show could be the best story about adolescents since Chihayafuru, which I most certainly enjoy, but I only watched that because it was strongly recommended by people whose opinions I trust. I understand the anime industry well enough to know why nearly every late-night show is about teens. Still it's such a breath of fresh air to watch something like Space Brothers or Hyouge Mono where all the main characters are adults. While shows about adults have always been in the minority, they seem to represent an ever more dwindling portion of contemporary anime for television. As someone whose adolescence happened decades ago, the never-ending array of shows about kids in high school, no matter how well produced, just gets tiring after awhile.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:32 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Since the preview told me nothing about the story, all I have to go on is this:
Quote:
The "corrupt pure-love story" revolves around Takao Kasuga (Shinichiroh Ueda), a bookish boy who loves the poems of Charles Baudelaire (the original author of the poetry collection Les Fleurs du mal or Flowers of Evil). One day after school, he discovers and steals the gym clothes of Nanako Saeki (Yōko Hikasa), the girl he has a crush on. However, he learns that Sawa Nakamura (Mariya Ise), a girl he loathes, happens to catch him in the act.

Now I'm not the biggest fan of Boogiepop, or Evangelion for that matter, but does that description suggest this story bears even the slightest relationship to either of those shows? Stolen gym clothes? Crushes and loathing?
Agreed. How anyone thought of those going by what was given here just boggles the mind.

Quote:
Sure this show could be the best story about adolescents since Chihayafuru, which I most certainly enjoy, but I only watched that because it was strongly recommended by people whose opinions I trust. I understand the anime industry well enough to know why nearly every late-night show is about teens. Still it's such a breath of fresh air to watch something like Space Brothers or Hyouge Mono where all the main characters are adults. While shows about adults have always been in the minority, they seem to represent an ever more dwindling portion of contemporary anime for television. As someone whose adolescence happened decades ago, the never-ending array of shows about kids in high school, no matter how well produced, just gets tiring after awhile.
This. Oh for the love of God and anime, this x 10.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:12 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Quote:

This. Oh for the love of God and anime, this x 10.

Well, there's a saying in Japan: manga grows up with their audience; anime doesn't. (Well, up to a point.)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah, anime for the past 40 years really has not catered to older audiences. So, perhaps there's more in common with western animation than we thought, in that aiming at a wide adult audience (post 30 years) doesn't occur. But western animation's cut off date for non-comedies is still comfortably placed in the teens. Whether it was in 1975, 1990, or now, expecting anime to a slew of mature adult dramas with little no no adolescent characters is...ridiculous. Even when you do get the ones where the characters are "older", they're only 27 (Only Yesterday), 29 (Natsuyuki Rendezvous), or around the mid-20s for everything else. You're not going to get gripping stories about characters in their 40s, and thus you're not getting stuff marketed to that age group.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Well, there's a saying in Japan: manga grows up with their audience; anime doesn't. (Well, up to a point.)
Which explains why I seem to buy more manga than anime these days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3