• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Weird Anime Marketing Campaigns

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
That's an awesome water cooler. I'm looking forward to the male version.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
The Neon Genesis Evangelion cakes always seemed creepy to me. I don't know how they taste, but they seem as though they could play into somebody's fantasies that I'd rather not think about. Have they ever made one of Rei... or one of Shinji... with a cream filling... on an plate shaped like unconscious Asuka...

I went with Attack on Titan as I'm enjoying the manga and the preview was damned cool. I'm looking forward to The Flowers of Evil and I've enjoyed what I've read of that too, but I'm not sure if it's headed in the right direction and even though I appreciate that it doesn't idealize adolescence, it still exploits some of its excesses, which can get tiresome.

Cutiebunny wrote:

It might be like this, but slightly less comfortable.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

It wouldn't be a big change from the little boy peeing stone fountain statues that exist around the world.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
RoverTX wrote:
Why would you scent motor oil?! Shocked Does it make your exhaust smell moe?

that actually sounds pretty lewd...speaking of which I know that ann is a pg-13 site.

Rated R except some strong language under discretion is advised
@enurtsol
Re: reaction to @dtm42 : *facepalm* glad it's not part of FAIL TOYS subject
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
ZakuConvoy wrote:
I actually decided to look up what the Hello Kitty Death card looks like and found it. It's...surprisingly cute. Also, it was on a list with much, much worse Hello Kitty items (WARNING, NSFW):

http://www.hellokittyuniverse.com/page/Indecent+Hello+Kitty+Products

Those...last two items. Embarassed

I'd be more curious about The Tower since that's the card that does actually predict death and destruction. The actual Death card only signifies change, like the seasons.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I think the list is really good. I have to say though, I think that water cooler deserves the number one spot.

As an adult anime fan, I enjoy the promotional items that serve a purpose that I can sneak in around my house. I have a One Piece "eternal" calendar (the month and dates are written on blocks that I rotate every day), a Nanoha alarm clock, a Dragonball camera bag, a Tohou Project Marisa the Witch that I can use as a Halloween decoration, etc. I was seriously tempted to get the Neon Evangelion nightlight/humidifier too since I use a humidifier almost every night...
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
ZakuConvoy wrote:
I actually decided to look up what the Hello Kitty Death card looks like and found it. It's...surprisingly cute. Also, it was on a list with much, much worse Hello Kitty items (WARNING, NSFW):

http://www.hellokittyuniverse.com/page/Indecent+Hello+Kitty+Products

Those...last two items. Embarassed

I'd be more curious about The Tower since that's the card that does actually predict death and destruction. The actual Death card only signifies change, like the seasons.

The Death card on that list is actually from an unofficial, earlier tarot set. I'm still looking for the official cards with the purple border.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

here ya go. Not an official link, but his post on the "Death" card matches the one above, so I assume it's the same set.

(Edit: ninja'ed by octopodpie, but confusingly... this one has a purple border, but matches the unofficial one? hm.)

(Edit2: found another pic online of cards with a stylized purple border and not just a solid purple line. Guessing she means those.)

(Edit3: I swiped a pic from eBay that has the "official" tower on it. I put it here. As cute as expected.)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Personally I've often associated the Tower card with dualism and destruction of old ideas.

Those K-ON hand puppets make me want to see someone do Terrance and Phillip skits with them, complete with original voices. XD

Glad Sakura beat that wretched Ash. Too bad Ash is in second, blech. How predictable everyone voted for him.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Personally I've often associated the Tower card with dualism and destruction of old ideas.

Sure, but that's the entire thing about Tarot - the cards are all vague enough that the reader can weave a story that seems relevant to the seeker's life regardless of the cards they pull. I've dabbled in it as a party trick for years. Super fun, but it's BS.

But I do generally consider the Tower to be the most ominous card in the deck, and I think that's a pretty widely accepted notion.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
This list was weird. Much of this stuff are things I wouldn't want around my home. If I ever had guests over,they'd think I was nuts. And yes,I had a look at the indecent Hello Kitty products. What type of people would put a cute cartoon character like that on products that are indecent? And I'm not sure I want to know who thought up the "Evangelion" cakes. I wouldn't want one,even if the whole thing were made of chocolate.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
The Tower card is good fun, but I've always been partial the Hanged Man, myself. And you can't forget the Fool.
Interesting enough, if you go across the pond to the old country, tarot cards are used to play real games, not for new age divination BS. I've always wanted to get a deck and try some of those games out.

As for the survey, I have been rather underwhelmed by the Spring selection. I've got seven shows on my list, two of them are sequels, and two more I'm unsure will make to a second episode. Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) will probably be the best one of the lot, but I'm not expecting much from it. My vote goes to Arata Kangatari, based on the remote chance there might be some hot trap action. However, it is also one of the titles that might not make it to episode 2. Meh, whatever.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
As disturbing as the idea of an LCL cake is; the actual product looks kind of good. I'd eat it anyway.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Even if that water cooler doesn't promote an anime--and if it does, I certainly haven't seen it--I think that it should be mentioned in this list. It doesn't feel right to have only 7 things on the list to me anyhow. I seem to remember 8 being more common, but I haven't checked the ANN history to confirm.

That character on the water cooler perplexes me as I don't understand its "true age": the character has bust, but yet doesn't appear to be "matured", especially the face. I've yet to understand the attraction to the "obviously-well-underage-but-nebulously-so" moeblobs: even with the bust, I feel that it is teetering on the edge between pedophilia and hebephilia, two things that I don't understand. Good thing I didn't get that official otaku tattoo...(referencing the simpsons) Laughing

I also don't understand the suspenders. They look ridiculous, especially with the character's arms underneath of them. Is the waistband of the skirt (sigh) not sufficient to hold the skirt "aloft" or is the additional support of the suspenders required to help keep the users of this device from disrobing the water cooler? Rolling Eyes
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
That character on the water cooler perplexes me as I don't understand its "true age": the character has bust, but yet doesn't appear to be "matured", especially the face.
While large chests in younger females are rare, they're not unheard of, especially with anime characters(anybody remember Pokemon?).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4