• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Have you seen the OP? Where are you getting a Free vibe? oO The series is about a guy who rescues a merman on the riverbank and takes him home to live in his bathtub, but the OP shows: that guy apparently drowning and rescued by said merman, the guy holding his head and screaming in pain or angst, the takoman beating his fist against a wall in anger, the guy running away from something, a little girl sitting alone and depressed in an alley, a character with glasses lying on the ground either injured or in despair, the guy being rescued from drowning again, all shot in a film noir style, until the final color shot which actually does relate to the series content. Plus a theme song I wouldn't exactly call jaunty. Smile

What other OPs are you thinking of that were that serious looking when the content was strictly comedic? I really am curious, since I can't think of any. The only thing close that comes to mind was the trailer for Mahoromatic, which was super dramatic (but still relevant to the plot of the series) and then half-way through suddenly smash-cut to scenes from the series with Mahoro de Mambo.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I think the final shot of the OP is supposed to imply that the rest of it is just a dream that Wakasa, the merman, was having, since he seems to be waking up in that last part. I agree that it's an odd thing to do for an opening, but I don't think it'd be too out of character for Wakasa to actually imagine some sort of crazy scenario involving all of his friends like whatever the heck is supposed to be going on in the OP.

Also, I just wanna say that I'm so happy to see someone else mention this series is some way. I really enjoy it, but I never thought I'd see anyone on ANN mention it again after the couple of people who mentioned watching it in the Preview Guide thread. So, yeah, just wanted to say that. Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Maybe you're right. I'd really love to see a real series of his dream though, if that's what it is. Wink

Someone should start a thread... >.> I don't like to unless I'm really desperate.
Phibby

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
ghaz.zafar wrote:

This is from the Cowboy Bebop movie, Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:56 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What other OPs are you thinking of that were that serious looking when the content was strictly comedic? I really am curious, since I can't think of any. The only thing close that comes to mind was the trailer for Mahoromatic, which was super dramatic (but still relevant to the plot of the series) and then half-way through suddenly smash-cut to scenes from the series with Mahoro de Mambo.

Just take a little look of what I have seen, I can think of, Cuticle Detective Inaba, Strange+, Senyuu.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:24 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I haven't seen Senyuu, but I watched the first OP and it looked pretty standard and seemed like it could match the series description I read. Based on that and the other two examples which I'm familiar with, I'm thinking I haven't explained very well what I'm talking about. Smile
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
While the OP for Senyuu doesn't look as serious as the OP for Orenchi no Furo Jijou, and there are some parts in it that you can tell are from comedic scenes, it still attempts to make the show look much more serious than it actually is. Since, aside from the last few episodes of season 2, there is nothing even remotely serious about the series whatsoever. This is a series where someone's "Arm Clone Jutsu" is just him spinning his arm really fast, and the main character's mother is represented by a piece of ASCII art. And plenty of other ridiculous things, but I don't want to go spoiling all the jokes in case you ever watch it. But yeah, I would agree that the first OP doesn't really fit the show itself.
Chii85

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Is Melody of Oblivion based off a manga, cause it's says on Wikipedia it's an anime.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Ok, they may be more serious looking, but they take some scenes or cuts from the series, don't they? Or at least maintain the art-style of the series. And they don't overtly contradict the events of the series, do they?

Anyway, I'm willing to accept your interpretation of the OP to be Wakasa's dream, though why he's dreaming so darkly is still a question. Smile
nomed44

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
Can anyone identify this anime?

its from a GIF but i took a screen cap and up loaded it

they give each other a thumbs up

http://s11.postimg.org/k7ds12k4z/11_09_2014asdfasdf.jpg
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:01 am Reply with quote
It's from School Rumble 2nd Semester. L-R, Tanaka Kazuya and Hiroaki Ishiyama.
pibburns

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
nomed44 wrote:
Can anyone identify this anime?

its from a GIF but i took a screen cap and up loaded it

they give each other a thumbs up

http://s11.postimg.org/k7ds12k4z/11_09_2014asdfasdf.jpg

School Rumble.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
Yes melody of oblivion is based off of this manga Melody of Oblivion. Although given the alterations "inspired by" is probably a better choice of words.
Chii85

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Thank you I just want it clarified cause Wikipedia is not always reliable.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
The original creator of the Melody of Oblivion manga was a conglomeration of Gainax, JC Staff and Kadokawa, which implies that the anime was planned alongside the manga from the start rather than simply being an adaptation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 490 of 569