• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: More Japanese My Little Pony Dub Cast Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
From my limited knowledge of how English teaching goes down, you're basically dictated to and repeat some lines without ever ingesting the knowledge. When I took Spanish, I had to speak it with proper pronunciation and learn to translate from English into Spanish, which requires more careful thought than the other way. I guess I'll find out more when my buddy starts his ALT course somewhere in Japan soon. Outside of Tokyo, the country really isn't English-friendly, at all.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

What was wrong with its dub? Were all the Seiyuus unknowns?

Yes. With the sole exception of Aang's VA (and that VA only voiced a MINOR character in Pani Poni Dash) the rest of the cast as virtually unknown.

Oddly enough, the live-action movie's dub has a better cast.

>_> The American voice cast of Avatar also had pretty much mostly unknown VAs sooooo I don't see how that matters. Are you sure it didn't bomb because they just didn't like the content? The only reason people liked Avatar here was cause it had zero competition. No American show was really doing anything like it. In Japan pretty much every anime does what it does and better so there's no reason for them to go all gaga over it when they can just watch one of the Big Three or something. I can't see an American action show doing super well in Japan no matter what treatment it gets when their censors let them do so much more it's not even a fair comparison x_x
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
America doesn't have voice actor fetish as Japan do. Plus Nick is pretty big in USA, isn't it?
(In Poland it's far behind Disney and Cartoon Network and the only thing that kept it afloat were re-runs of old cartoons and later ATLA introduced as a smash hit in America)
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I've heard that Nick Japan is a premium channel and when I compared its website to its counterparts in America, France and Germany, it was obvious that the channel wasn't getting proper attention-most of the content was a half decade old.

I think a reasonable comparison would be what happened to Naruto Shippuden on Disney X.D in the U.S. Despite Naruto's established popularity in the U.S., Disney pulled the show (randomly in the middle of a season, IIRC). X.D. Is a high-tier channel that not all Americans get, Shippuden was barely advertised or promoted, and it was bounced around the schedule without rhyme or reason (complete with random hiatuses). Few shows can survive that treatment.

But if you stick Naruto (reruns!) on a basic cable channel at 12:30 AM Saturday nights consistently and make sure people know when its on, you can get decent ratings.

Sometimes availability and marketing kills a show before the content has a chance to make an impression.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:

Language tests usually involve reading, listening, writing and speaking. People usually fail on last two last "active" parts from many reasons- they are the most difficult by definition and twice as hard for those whose native languages have completely different phonetic. For Japanese we must add that's hard to practise them on your own and asking teacher for advice is usually discouraged in Japan. Also, Japan is very homogeneous when it comes into language, while in many places in Asia English have an established tradition of serving as lingua franca for citizen of countries where every region have unique language. (So we have English-speaking Animax Asia)

Despite similarities with Japan, Korea does pretty well though.
(Heck, Psy was able to come to the West the moment Gungnam Style went viral. Yes, he studied a bit in the US, but he's not the only one who could do that, given the opportunity.)

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
From my limited knowledge of how English teaching goes down, you're basically dictated to and repeat some lines without ever ingesting the knowledge. When I took Spanish, I had to speak it with proper pronunciation and learn to translate from English into Spanish, which requires more careful thought than the other way.

Even the Japanese are poking fun at that. Laughing

• Comedy about Japanese teacher teaching foreigners the Japanese way of learning/reading English

Brief Translation:

Teacher - Today's third class is English. Open your textbooks to page 10. You should be careful with your English pronunciation. This is difficult.
    A student reads a textbook.
    Teacher - With such a pronunciation, nobody can understand your English! Slowly and clearly pronounce words!

walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
That video is priceless.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:27 am Reply with quote
Wait a minute. I thought the myth was that Avatar never actually aired in Japan (It was pulled last minute, or so I've heard).
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote
RagnaVII wrote:
@CareyGrant We don't know. Japan as a whole has never really been into non Japanese animation, save Disney/Pixar movies, Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Dreamworks, Spongebob and Transformers.

Had to remind myself of that McDonald's Spongebob Happy Set just now.

Don't forget Hanna-Barbera's "Wacky Races"!

Quote:
I wanna see something, which isn't Japanese, Disney or any of those shows become popular, but it may not be. Only time will tell. I may not be a fan of MLP, but I respect it and I hope people over in Japan become fans! Very Happy

I'm not holding my breath.

Unknown Memory wrote:
Avatar: The Last Airbender didn't do so well in Japan, due to airing on a channel (Nick Japan) that isn't in many households. I think if it aired on some other channel (despite it being a Nick production), it might've become super big since I know there are some Japanese Avatar fans out there. (Plus, get the full anime treatment of having a Japanese OP sung by some famous singer.)

It also doesn't help when most of the public watch "terrestrial TV" over satellite or other service providers (isn't it nice when you don't have to pay extra).
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
What are the odds that the Japanese MLP will be fansubbed and re-imported back to America via fansubs? I think it's pretty high.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Wait a minute. I thought the myth was that Avatar never actually aired in Japan (It was pulled last minute, or so I've heard).

Unless the episodes that were leaked out online are actually an elaborate Fandub ruse, then that would be a false rumor.

Agent355 wrote:
I think a reasonable comparison would be what happened to Naruto Shippuden on Disney X.D in the U.S. Despite Naruto's established popularity in the U.S., Disney pulled the show (randomly in the middle of a season, IIRC). X.D. Is a high-tier channel that not all Americans get, Shippuden was barely advertised or promoted, and it was bounced around the schedule without rhyme or reason (complete with random hiatuses). Few shows can survive that treatment.

But if you stick Naruto (reruns!) on a basic cable channel at 12:30 AM Saturday nights consistently and make sure people know when its on, you can get decent ratings.

Sometimes availability and marketing kills a show before the content has a chance to make an impression.

That would make more sense if Nickelodeon's other shows didn't do better than it did. When Nick Japan died other shows like Catdog and Penguins of Madagascar were "rescue licensed" or whatever you want to call it, by other networks and air on those channels now while Avatar wasn't.

Naruto's not the best comparison, though. Anime in general is big before it even gets licensed, and most of the fans are not going to watch an edited Disney dub that is 200 episodes behind the current one when the fansubs/Crunchyroll streams are up to date and uncut (I imagine the Adult Swim version is uncut so it at least has that going for it) Avatar doesn't really have that issue in Japan on why it would get low ratings on TV.

RagnaVII wrote:
Why SHOULDN'T American cartoons do well in Japan? Why should they only have anime?

They can, but it's not stuff like Avatar. The most popular American animation in Japan are preschool shows they can use as an English teaching aides. They usually air on educational channels in Japan for kids to watch. If you're expecting a show like Avatar to attract an older/otaku audience the same way shounen or seinen can, then you're going to be disappointed. American action animation doesn't do that well in Japan, probably for reasons already stated.

Now, MLP has a better chance at being popular than Avatar did. Mainly because it actually has a certain otaku demographic it can potentially appeal to; furry otaku. That's ultimately the only way for western animation to really get a foothold in Japan; find that niche. Furryism is one such niche. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was another show J-furries latched onto back in the day. Basically, if you want an American show to do well in Japan, pander to furries. Furries in Japan are probably the most accepting of western animation because anime doesn't really do much furry pandering so they have to rely on foreign media for that, since it's more of a western fetish.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
My prediction is that the show will do OK but not amazing, while the merchandise-- stickers, figures, dress-up sets, etc-- will perform pretty well just by virtue of being really kawaii and sparkly!

Quote:
Now, MLP has a better chance at being popular than Avatar did. Mainly because it actually has a certain otaku demographic it can potentially appeal to; furry otaku.

? ? ? But why would they try to cater to such a teeny weeny niche when they already have the Jewelpet demographic of kids who're willing to buy cutesy magical animal toys ? ? ?

Incidentally, the original MLP from the 80s is a frequent feature of Japanese fashion trends like fairy-kei and other "ironic kawaii" styles like Spank!, so maybe the new franchise can benefit from that too.
ForeverPurity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
*Gasp* Japanese Bronies... The horror! The tidal wave of new MLP hentai and doujinshi will bury us all.

..and you thought english clopping was bad. Wait for the japanese.
Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm not expecting MLP to be super popular, but just enough to see through the end. I would be happy if it managed to do Curious George ratings from time to time. Still amazed that Curious George is not only in the top list constantly, but doing pretty well against other anime on the list from time to time.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
MLP may prove to have appeal though. It's not too different than most magical girl series in content or tone, just with ponies and without henshin,

Confused Which magical girl shows have you been watching? What I've seen of MLP its nothing like magical girl. not any of the current ones like Precure or Jewelpet at least
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
My prediction is that the show will do OK but not amazing, while the merchandise-- stickers, figures, dress-up sets, etc-- will perform pretty well just by virtue of being really kawaii and sparkly!

Quote:
Now, MLP has a better chance at being popular than Avatar did. Mainly because it actually has a certain otaku demographic it can potentially appeal to; furry otaku.

? ? ? But why would they try to cater to such a teeny weeny niche when they already have the Jewelpet demographic of kids who're willing to buy cutesy magical animal toys ? ? ?

Incidentally, the original MLP from the 80s is a frequent feature of Japanese fashion trends like fairy-kei and other "ironic kawaii" styles like Spank!, so maybe the new franchise can benefit from that too.

I agree with this, and really just anyone who's a fan of fun all-ages animation can enjoy it, don't have to be an Otaku of any kind or a little girl/kid. Its an enjoyable show, and while I doubt it'll get as big as PPG did over there I think it'll do well enough. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4